Kjerstad Joining Team

3 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Mountcastle’s injury was said to be very minor.  He’s available off the bench tonight, but you never know with injuries.  It still makes the team better.  Does anyone know how Heston hits lefties?

This year

image.thumb.png.46204baecd9bb117a20a8046ee3ea9dd.png

6 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Mountcastle’s injury was said to be very minor.  He’s available off the bench tonight, but you never know with injuries.  It still makes the team better.  Does anyone know how Heston hits lefties?

Mountcastle will always have a risk of Vertigo happening to him. Not saying that's what it is. Just that people who has experienced it have to deal with the possibility of it returning for most of their lives.

Kjerstad has classic platoon splits. He's not as good vs LHP as he is vs RHP. His OPS vs LHP this season is only .749.

• Upvote 1

I like having kjerstad’s bat back up…but it makes us even more left handed, and leaves us a bit short handed defensively. We now have 3 guys that are mostly 1b/dh only (will believe they trust kjerstad’s defense when we see it), plus adley who they want to dh against lefties. 

12 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

I like having kjerstad’s bat back up…but it makes us even more left handed, and leaves us a bit short handed defensively. We now have 3 guys that are mostly 1b/dh only (will believe they trust kjerstad’s defense when we see it), plus adley who they want to dh against lefties. 

Yeah, what position did Kjerstad play in his callup mostly last year, DH.

29 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

9 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Unless Mountcastle is out for awhile -- in which case I assume he would DH -- I don't see where Kjerstad will play.  Maybe his bat is good enough to hit against lefties.  

It’s interesting for a team that loves the platoon advantage. Why I didn’t think it would happen.

Vs LHP

-Mateo may get more chances in OF. 
- Urias not that he is a splits guy plays more 

- McCann gets more starts at C 

Some combo of that. 

Have to sit someone who usually plays  vs RHP to play Kjerstad. Perhaps Adley will pretty much catch all games vs RHP. Still have to sit one of O’Hearn, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander to play Kjerstad. 

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is great but not exactly the easiest guy to get into this lineup right now. Should be interesting.

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Kjerstad is certainly deserving of a callup, but I'm a little surprised they didn't go with a right-handed bat (e.g. Norby).  

Makes me wonder if they think Hays will be a short term thing. 

That said, with Duquette it got to a point where it was easier to predict what roster moves he would make. Never feel that way with Elias.  

Edited by eddie83

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s interesting for a team that loves the platoon advantage. Why I didn’t think it would happen.

Vs LHP

-Mateo may get more chances in OF. 
- Urias not that he is a splits guy plays more 

- McCann gets more starts at C 

Some combo of that. 

Have to sit someone who usually plays  vs RHP to play Kjerstad. Perhaps Adley will pretty much catch all games vs RHP. Still have to sit one of O’Hearn, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander to play Kjerstad. 

But those three guys are already playing va lhp. See our lineup tonight, just swap mountcastle for McCann later in the lineup. But that still leaves Gunnar and Mullins that are not particularly good vs lefties, and McCann who can be okay vs lefties on occasion but probably isn’t a bat you want to rely on more than is necessary to spell adley catching. 

gunnar

adley (dh)

Mountcastle 

santander 

westburg 

cowser 

mullins 

Urias 

Mateo 

vs rhp, it’s a good problem to have (at least offensively). But against lefties we could be vulnerable.

Yet as I type this Gunnar hits a triple off a lefty. 

1 minute ago, OsFanInOhio said:

But those three guys are already playing va lhp. See our lineup tonight, just swap mountcastle for McCann later in the lineup. But that still leaves Gunnar and Mullins that are not particularly good vs lefties, and McCann who can be okay vs lefties on occasion but probably isn’t a bat you want to rely on more than is necessary to spell adley catching. 

gunnar

adley (dh)

Mountcastle 

santander 

westburg 

cowser 

mullins 

Urias 

Mateo 

vs rhp, it’s a good problem to have (at least offensively). But against lefties we could be vulnerable.

Yet as I type this Gunnar hits a triple off a lefty. 

True, fair point.

I just keep thinking if they felt Hays was long term maybe they do something else. Not sure. Projecting facing a bunch of RHP coming up? 

11 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Just for fun, what if he comes up and hits, who goes down when Hays is ready? What if Holliday has turned it around by then, too?

Potentially where Urias becomes vulnerable. He provides less versatility than Mateo and is a reverse splits righty on a team fully of lefties. He’s already a bit of an odd fit as a slow bench bat without a lot of power (and reverse splits).