Bird Tapes

My God, was your oral history book about the O's really 25 years ago?   That makes me feel really old.

It was a fantastic book, I treasure it and revisit it often.   You can just jump into the middle of any section of Orioles history and read a few pages and find something interesting.

It was one of my primary references when I did this little thread as a project to make the 2017-2018 offseason go by faster:

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, John Eisenberg said:

Jumping on to make sure everyone here knows about the Orioles history project I've started this season. It's called the Bird Tapes . 

Confess to letting out a small gasp when I saw the name as your handle, then thought nah, some new poster giving you tribute by taking the name 😄

I do keep this book handy for reference, in the scaled-down “shrine” room.

The project sounds awesome!

IMG_4683.thumb.jpeg.c0374189dd3bd33cc0a48d4d8d4340c4.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Updating what's happening at the Bird Tapes -- I just posted a column that I wrote about Earl Weaver and the start of baseball's data revolution. And a heads-up, the next interview going up (next Monday) will be with Paul Blair, the legendary center fielder. I spoke to him for 90 minutes in 1999 and he talked frankly about everything that happened during his career. Honestly, an unforgettable interview. Also coming in the near future -- my interviews from 25 years ago with Frank Robinson, Cal Ripken Jr., Dennis Martinez and Boog Powell.

Please subscribe if you haven't already at birdtapes.substack.com.

Edited by John Eisenberg