Kyle Bradish 2024

RVAOsFan

12 hours ago, orioles22 said:

What strategy? Did they trade for someone to face Povich instead of Bradish. NFL reports injuries. All sports should let fans know what is happening as far as personnel in regard to injuries.

I thought it made more sense to just skip a start and keep everyone else on regular rest. I expected Bradish to start again against Atlanta on Tuesday.

It's a business. A competitive business. Their interests - best chance of winning is what matters here. 

It's no different than Belichick gaming the injury report. 

These are micro-decisions that matter at the margins. 

There wasn't a guarantee that Bradish *wouldn't* start, and it wasn't immediately clear *who would* until...what...late night the day before in Cade Povich?

It reads to me a couple reasons why:

• Force the other team to put together multiple scouting reports based on various pitchers, ways to attack Povich and briefing their hitters. If it's more time they're spinning wheels, wasting their hitters time, etc....it *could* matter. Does it? Who knows. 
  • Force the other team to *potentially* put together a different lineup and/or bring up somebody. It was either going to be a bullpen day, face a pitcher they know very little about, or Bradish miraculously makes it

The fans don't really deserve this kind of information in real time. Especially not for an away game. 

Either way, there is a very good reason why Hyde waited until the last minute to completely rule out Bradish and confirm Povich. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Certainly seems like some load management is going on, which is probably smart, especially on a team that wants to play in a world series.  It's one of those strategies that appears to make sense but we'll never really know.  They started Means' season a month late when he wasn't injured (unfortunately, he got hurt and it didn't matter).  Bradish is clearly getting a rest.  We'll never know for sure, but I don't think either of the Grayson or Kremer IL stays were about actual injuries or, let's say, anything serious. 

Elias is trying to shorten the season and lower innings/pitch counts for the starters.  Six man rotations, Irvin in/out of the pen, Povich up for some (?) starts.  Burnes is probably the only 30+ start, every 5 day rotation guy, and the Orioles only own him for another five months.

Bradish has thrown 40 innings between the minors/majors. Hyde really pushed on him his no hitter on 5/26. He threw 103 pitches after throwing 74 the game before. He hasn't thrown 90 or more since 5/8. 

Honestly, that Rays game I think he threw too many. 76 pitches in not even 3 innings (2 2/3 IP) is a ton.  And most of the pitches were in the 2nd and 3rd. It was hot. His control was a mess. I do worry that maybe he threw too many in those last 2 innings.

29 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Bradish has thrown 40 innings between the minors/majors. Hyde really pushed on him his no hitter on 5/26. He threw 103 pitches after throwing 74 the game before. He hasn't thrown 90 or more since 5/8. 

Honestly, that Rays game I think he threw too many. 76 pitches in not even 3 innings (2 2/3 IP) is a ton.  And most of the pitches were in the 2nd and 3rd. It was hot. His control was a mess. I do worry that maybe he threw too many in those last 2 innings.

Agreed.  I like that he's resting.  Like everyone else, I just hope that's really all it is.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I assume they would rather have him come back vs ATL or Philly than game 4 vs Tampa

Yea that’s a good point..Tuesday vs Atl, Sunday vs Philly although that would mean he misses NY.  So, he could go against Atl, miss Philly and go against NY, with the built in extra day off.

So maybe Wed vs Atl and then Tuesday vs NY

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea that’s a good point..Tuesday vs Atl, Sunday vs Philly although that would mean he misses NY.  So, he could go against Atl, miss Philly and go against NY, with the built in extra day off.

So maybe Wed vs Atl and then Tuesday vs NY

Ha. Tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

Hmmm...351 Kostka says he is throwing a pen and 438 Kostka says it is his game tomorrow.

Could Kostka have sight misidentified somebody at 351?

Starters don't throw pens the day before their game, right?

Edited by Just Regular