Wednesday afternoon May 15: Orioles vs Blue Jay

SteveA

9 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I dont think my central nervous system will be intact after watching this team....

I hear you. Can we just win one game by more than 1 run? Nothing comes easy.

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, the move kind of reeks of desparation.   We aren't hitting at all with RISP so let's try a squeeze out of desparation.

The way they've been swinging the bats on the whole, Hyde may have a point there: we're more probable to execute a squeeze play than to hit the ball out of the infield for a sac fly or base hit with RISP. That says a lot about our offense, but by the numbers it might actually be true.

9 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

This is one of those wins that feels like a tie.

Kinda.  Was just painful because of all the build up with no scoring.  11 hits but only 1 with RISP.  They only had 5 and scored on a botched route by Santander.  If they get 1 or 2 more hits with RISP it’s a blowout. 

13 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I dont think my central nervous system will be intact after watching this team....

Roy, we are 27 - 14. How did you survive 17- 21? Or pretty much every year not named 96, 97, 12, or 14 under Angelos?

1 minute ago, allquixotic said:

The way they've been swinging the bats on the whole, Hyde may have a point there: we're more probable to execute a squeeze play than to hit the ball out of the infield for a sac fly or base hit with RISP. That says a lot about our offense, but by the numbers it might actually be true.

If he got the bunt down, folks would have called him a genius.  I like the play.  Beats a K.  Anytime you  make the D execute a perfect play at home To save a run you’re doing something right.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Roy, we are 27 - 14. How did you survive 17- 21? Or pretty much every year not named 96, 97, 12, or 14 under Angelos?

Same way most of us did, probably. It's easy enough to just stop caring about a team that's obviously bad, and just look at the scores after the game and roll your eyes.  Or maybe Roy watches all the games even in the bad years, but lowered his expectations to the point that he could anticipate a loss without feeling bad about it.

The "problem" with our current team is that we anticipate a win, we have a winning culture, but they're struggling at the plate right now. So, expectations are high, and they aren't meeting those expectations. Hence Roy's heart palpitations. He probably doesn't feel that way in years when the expectations are low and they play down to those low expectations.

1 hour ago, allquixotic said:

Same way most of us did, probably. It's easy enough to just stop caring about a team that's obviously bad, and just look at the scores after the game and roll your eyes.  Or maybe Roy watches all the games even in the bad years, but lowered his expectations to the point that he could anticipate a loss without feeling bad about it.

The "problem" with our current team is that we anticipate a win, we have a winning culture, but they're struggling at the plate right now. So, expectations are high, and they aren't meeting those expectations. Hence Roy's heart palpitations. He probably doesn't feel that way in years when the expectations are low and they play down to those low expectations.

Well said. I’ll also add that it’s not hard to get frustrated when  you can’t get a runner in from 3rd multiple times when you’re supposed to be a top 5 team 

3 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

He's easily the worst manager in baseball, he's only won because he's had so many talented players at his disposal. As I've said countless times on this board, the Orioles have won DESPITE Hyde and his horrible decisions.

Glad to see Adley bail Hyde out, but we're in major trouble with Hyde managing this team in the playoffs.

I'm a  big Hyde critic, but he's not even close to the worst manager in baseball.

• Upvote 1