6-man rotation is officially happening

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why is Irvin in the bullpen if it's a six man rotation? I'm confused.

I think they're basically skipping him in this series and will start him against the Cardinals next week. But there's a window where he can soak up a few relief innings since otherwise he'll go 10-12 days without pitching. 

It could be a matchup data thing? Or just they want to bring Grayson back this weekend, and feel more comfortable changing up Irvin's routine than they do with the other starters. 

I've always sort of wondered about set rotations going forward.  Back when Buck was manager, it almost seemed like if we had had a 6th guy that they would have treated starters like bullpen guys.  If your #1 gets rocked in the first and makes it 1 1/3, there's enough arm for him to appear the next day or day after for a short stretch and still make his next scheduled start.  There's a lot of juggle potential, as I called it back then.  Don't know if this is a part of the plan, but I'm a little surprised that something like it hasn't been tried. 

Of course 5 quality starters would negate it... This is likely just an opportunity to rest guys and ease in Grayson...

12 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I've always sort of wondered about set rotations going forward.  Back when Buck was manager, it almost seemed like if we had had a 6th guy that they would have treated starters like bullpen guys.  If your #1 gets rocked in the first and makes it 1 1/3, there's enough arm for him to appear the next day or day after for a short stretch and still make his next scheduled start.  There's a lot of juggle potential, as I called it back then.  Don't know if this is a part of the plan, but I'm a little surprised that something like it hasn't been tried. 

Of course 5 quality starters would negate it... This is likely just an opportunity to rest guys and ease in Grayson...

Yeah, the thinking is that six guys helps with this stretch of games, but that works the other way in that taking away a bullpen guy stresses the bullpen during a stretch with no off days. That is exactly what I didn't like about the six man rotation last year. I hope they juggle as you are suggesting.

12 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, the thinking is that six guys helps with this stretch of games, but that works the other way in that taking away a bullpen guy stresses the bullpen during a stretch with no off days. That is exactly what I didn't like about the six man rotation last year. I hope they juggle as you are suggesting.

Agreed, that's why giving a SP an inning here and there thru these long stretches might be necessary.  I mean if it turns into 6 SP's going 6.5 or better each night it might be a moot point about the BP.  But if something goes south having one available in some kind of cycle within the rotation for an inning here and there would be like carrying an extra BP arm.

3 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I'm guessing Irvin today.

I also think it’ll be Cole but more so because I think they waited to announce a starter for today because they wanted to see how Meansy would fare last night. Whether or not they acknowledged it, I believe Cole was in the Pen as a potential ‘break in case of emergency’ should Meansy have faltered.

Yes, Irvin and Means are very different pitchers but last night gave Hyde and Co. a preview as to how Seattle would stack their lineup against a left-handed starter and the matchup strategies later in the game. The O’s Pen remains relatively rested but I think they’ll attempt to squeeze another outing out of Akin before a potential option to activate GrayRod. Whether that happens today or tomorrow remains to be seen.

if not Cole today, I expect GrayRod so to keep Burnes on regular rest. 

Posted (edited)

It will be interesting to watch Burnes' pattern in this stretch.

One of the tradeoffs from taking the rest is you start to evaporate the opening day starter's turn 33 opportunity.

Corbin Burnes is a lot better than the Orioles SP5-SP6, and the Orioles and Yankees seem tracking towards another one of the 1980 102-100 kind of races.

I don't know if it is a feature or a bug, but the pressure on both the Orioles and Yankees every day is some of the design of the current playoff structure.     It is an interesting contrast if two top teams do or don't share a division.     If the Orioles were in the AL /=East, the Orioles and Yankees beating the other 13 AL teams by ~10 games, both Clubs could go to the spa all September.

Together in the East, Luis Castillo and George Kirby, or Pablo Lopez and Joe Ryan, or Jeffrey Springs and Zach Eflin could end it all in barely over 24 hours.    

I hope we won't see how Sigbot configures a 3-game ALWC series roster for a long time.    Some of managing the 162 is maximizing your Corbin Burnes asset the year you have him.

Are teams reseeded after the Wild Card Series?
No. The No. 1 seed will face the winner of the Wild Card Series between the Nos. 4/5 seeds, while the No. 2 seed will face the winner of the Nos. 3/6 series. This ensures that the No. 1 seed won't face another division winner in the Division Series round while still preserving the bracket system.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Personally, the way Irvin has pitched the last four times out, I wouldn’t want to be skipping him.  I’d be skipping Kremer to let that blister of his heal up.  

For sure.  And take advantage of OPACY with the lefty.