Angel Hernandez has retired!!

waroriole

The Athletic article talked about how it bothered him how all of this impacted his wife and kids. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided he was done to spare them.

That seems a lot more plausible than the union throwing him under the bus.

Different unions, yes, but the players union supported the steroid users even though everyone knew they were guilty. There's no way a union throws a member under the bus. It undermines the union itself.

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

There’s plenty of bad umpires. He just became the poster child, probably through the audacity of his lawsuit. 

Angel’s bad calls were often horrifically bad, so bad that they would get national attention. If a very bad call and a moderately bad call are graded the same, that’s not going to tell the whole story. 

He had become a living, breathing meme.

Yesterday at the game, the two guys sitting in front of me, when the plate ump called a pitch they didn't agree with, tried to start an "Angel Hernandez" chant (to the same rhythm/tune that you hear fans do "over-rated" even though you have to cram in an extra syllable).

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He sued the MLB for discrimination. They wanted him out and they reached a deal for "retirement". 

MLB won that lawsuit and then won on appeal.  So, while he did sue, he lost.  Any deal that got him off MLB baseball diamonds was a good deal.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He sued the MLB for discrimination. They wanted him out and they reached a deal for "retirement". 

You know he lost the discrimination case years ago, right?   There was no settlement.  The lawsuit was dismissed by the court for lack of merit.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know he lost the discrimination case years ago, right?   There was no settlement.  The lawsuit was dismissed by the court for lack of merit.  

Yeah I know, I was referring to this blurb in MLBTR:

However, Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that Hernandez “reached a settlement to leave Major League Baseball,” effective immediately. Bob Nightengale of USA Today adds that the sides had “spent the past two weeks negotiating a financial settlement before reaching a resolution over the weekend.”

I was just saying that once there was a lawsuit at all, I'm sure MLB was looking to get him out of the game.

Edited by interloper

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Please tell me what background you have that speaks to how big business and big unions work.  

32 years Teamster shop steward at a $5 billion international communications corporation. Member team rep negotiating new contract every 3-5 years during that time. 

Does that count?

Just now, ShoelesJoe said:

32 years Teamster shop steward at a $5 billion international communications corporation. Member team rep negotiating new contract every 3-5 years during that time. 

Does that count?

That’s why I asked.  I never did any union work as a lawyer.  But I’d say if you threw individual union members under the bus to get other concessions, that’s pretty disappointing to hear.  

Just now, Frobby said:

That’s why I asked.  I never did any union work as a lawyer.  But I’d say if you threw individual union members under the bus to get other concessions, that’s pretty disappointing to hear.  

Yeah, I'd opt out of that union, like, yesterday.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Union members get fired all the time, and a lot of the time the Union is glad to see them go. Guys who suck at their jobs make it harder for everybody else doing the same job, while also making the Union and the company look bad. Again, it depends on the meaning of "thrown under the bus". If MLB offered Hernandez a payout equal to three years at 80% of his salary (or something similar) to "retire" he'd have been a fool to turn it down. That's a bus a whole lot of 60+ year old workers would love to get thrown under. If the union got something in return for not dragging the whole process through the courts for the next decade then its a win / win for everybody involved.