The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 hours ago, Osornot said:

Elias should most definitely be on the phone.  Skubal would be a great fit but it would take a painful offer.  

Right now Skubal is the number one guy I would target, and I would be willing to trade Basallo or Mayo for him.  

The way I see it, the O's are pot committed.  They already traded two good prospects to get Corbin Burnes, who is pitching like a Cy Young candidate but who is only here for 2024.   This is not a year to say "wait til next year"--this is a year to go all in and try to win a World Series.   

Basallo and Mayo are fantastic propsects but the O's already have outstanding young players at C and 3B.    The O's have good enough starting pitching already to make the playoffs, but come playoff time they need a third starter who can shut down a good lineup.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Regarding spending: since AJ Preller took over in San Diego, he has spent money like Sailors on shore leave, traded everyone but his grandmother and has almost nothing to show for it except a huge payroll.

One doesn’t solve a problem by flinging money at it, and I pray Mike never does.

AJ Preller was flinging money around and headlines because his owner Seiidler gave him “all in “ directives before he passed away . Now the Padres are just right under Luxury Tax limit 

I’m sure Elias noticed that organization’s mistakes and keep Orioles from them

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

What's wrong with Scherzer's personality? He reminds me a lot of Corbin Burnes, but maybe with a bit more fire. Both of them are incredibly competitive and fueled up. 

A lot more fire than Burnes for my money, but that's why I've always liked him. Not saying Burnes isn't competitive, but Max is as fiery as it gets.

No one has any thoughts on them going after Mason Miller? He seriously upgrades the pen this year and he started in the minors and six games with the A's last year. Then, when Bautista returns next year you develop him as a starter and can always return him to the pen if he doesn't have success as a starter. Or, insert him as the closer if Bautista isn't ready to start the year or they want to ease him into things.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Yeah , I looked at his stats, they looked good except the one you mentioned -games started, innings pitched, .  The Orioles need do their diligence on him 

I trust in Elias, but is Skubal even available? With a couple years of control left I don't think the Tigers will be motivated to sell except for an overpay.

I think with all the injuries starting pitching along with bullpen help is a priority at the trade deadline. Skubal is a player I'm interested in, but it all depends on the Tigers trade demands.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

No one has any thoughts on them going after Mason Miller? He seriously upgrades the pen this year and he started in the minors and six games with the A's last year. Then, when Bautista returns next year you develop him as a starter and can always return him to the pen if he doesn't have success as a starter. Or, insert him as the closer if Bautista isn't ready to start the year or they want to ease him into things.

He and Helsley were my number one targets before Bradish got hurt.  They would still be top targets for me.  Kimbrel is a quality reliever but I'd feel better about him in the 7th or 8th inning and having a strikeout stud for the 9th.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

He and Helsley were my number one targets before Bradish got hurt.  They would still be top targets for me.  Kimbrel is a quality reliever but I'd feel better about him in the 7th or 8th inning and having a strikeout stud for the 9th.  

Kimbrel has a 13 K/9 and Helsley has a 10 K/9. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I trust in Elias, but is Skubal even available? With a couple years of control left I don't think the Tigers will be motivated to sell except for an overpay.

I think with all the injuries starting pitching along with bullpen help is a priority at the trade deadline. Skubal is a player I'm interested in, but it all depends on the Tigers trade demands.

I also trust in Elias . You asked if Skubal is available, my question is which pitcher from which teams actually available ?  It’s Elias's job to contact Tigers and other selling teams to find who’s available . You’re right about pitching injuries, but it’s happening across both leagues . High demand and limited availability equals what ……higher prices.  Honestly, if they want good pitchers, they should be prepared for high costs. 

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Sure, but the possibility of stretching out Miller and retuning him to the rotation is what I see as the end game. They could keep him as a high leverage reliever or stretch him out depending on the recovery timeline for Bautista.

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

He's been discussed, just not recently. 

Posted (edited)

Regarding Skubal.  His potential availability is just speculation on my part.  If I were the Tigers, I would trade him now.  They need an infusion of talent, especially position players and with 2 1/2 seasons of control of Skubal, his value will not likely get much higher.  Strike while the iron is hot.  The likelihood of them being able to legitimately compete in the next two+ years is low.  Thus, the question about whether he makes sense and what you'd be willing to pay.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Mountcastle, Kjerstad, Norby for George Kirby

You're playing O'Hearn at 1B full time or calling up Mayo? Because RM is GG caliber at 1B and he mashes. I'd rather keep him and trade Mayo straight up, no Kjerstad, only because I don't think HK and Norby gets it done.