The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Connor Norby and another low teens 20s ranked prospect probably gets it done.  I doubt he gets a top 100 guy.  

The Dodgers, Yankees, and Phillies are rumored to be in on him. I think you're selling this short. He's likely the top reliever for sale.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

The Dodgers, Yankees, and Phillies are rumored to be in on him. I think you're selling this short. He's likely the top reliever for sale.

Reality on who's for sale begins around July 19.  I'll be very surprised if Scott is the only worthwhile reliever available.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

Likely, and again they don’t HAVE to deal for him. I like a lower ceiling play like Estevez from the Angels. He will do well not being a guy who’s overloaded with work like he is with the Angels. He can close when Kimbrel needs a break. More importantly, he won’t break the bank in prospects. 

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Reality on who's for sale begins around July 19.  I'll be very surprised if Scott is the only worthwhile reliever available.

There are 2 teams in NL more than 5 games out of the WC, it's been like that all season, I don't see that changing much in the next 18 days. Reality is there are going to be a hell of a lot more buyers than sellers, especially in the NL where all teams but 2 are in the thick of it.

20 minutes ago, Malike said:

There are 2 teams in NL more than 5 games out of the WC, it's been like that all season, I don't see that changing much in the next 18 days. Reality is there are going to be a hell of a lot more buyers than sellers, especially in the NL where all teams but 2 are in the thick of it.

It's not the next 18 days, it's the next 30 days less the AS break, roughly 15% of the season.  My point is that a lot will change in the last two weeks before the trade deadline.  It's a little early to call a radical seller's market where Tanner Scott is the clear front-runner.

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

It's not the next 18 days, it's the next 30 days less the AS break, roughly 15% of the season.  My point is that a lot will change in the last two weeks before the trade deadline.  It's a little early to call a radical seller's market where Tanner Scott is the clear front-runner.

You gave the arbitrary date of July 19th.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

You gave the arbitrary date of July 19th.

I said that was the date reality (everybody gets serious) begins.  All the players actually available won't be determined until the teams on the bubble decide whether or not they are going to invest in the rest of the season.  With the current Wild Card setup, that doesn't happen until the last minute.

@Sports Guy for shiggles, I stopped by to read what our old friends on the White Sox board were saying about what they would want for Crochet. 

Jackson Merrill, but it’s a shame that SD started his clock already. Also, they now feel like they got ripped for Cease and that the trade was essentially just for the pitcher they got. If not Merrill, then they would want Ethan Salas from SD. 

Just some opposing fan’s insights fwiw. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

7 hours ago, Malike said:

He is the top reliever …. I don’t think Elias would get a top 100 guy for a rental guy. The Dodgers and Yankees have deeper pockets. They can more afford to replace what they give away.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I dunno … my point is he was pitching brilliantly and now he isn’t pitching at all. You are going to spend resources to get a guy who’s been on the shelf fr the whole season and given you 10 innings?

If the resources to acquire are reasonable, that’s a risk worth taking, IMO.

7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Likely, and again they don’t HAVE to deal for him. I like a lower ceiling play like Estevez from the Angels. He will do well not being a guy who’s overloaded with work like he is with the Angels. He can close when Kimbrel needs a break. More importantly, he won’t break the bank in prospects. 

Why not Leclerc who was just there last year as the main High Leverage reliever that pitched 16 postseason games and won a WS?

Scott isn’t the best available. 

Yimi Garcia has an elbow issue. Who knows what that is?  What if the asking price for him was so low that it would be worth it us to let him given that we’d have the luxury of resting him until mid September?

And there is Chapman. 

We could just really follow the Rangers blueprint from last year and ride with Scherzer, Leclerc, and Chapman.