The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

All this post says is, who cares about the quality or cost, just get an arm because we are desperate.

Taillon wouldn’t be a good get. Hes an if all else fails type guy in the offseason 

I think this is exactly the opposite. We know exactly what the cost would be ($$ and in this case the prospect), and this is a pitcher with a track record (quality). He's a better game 3 start than we have right now, even if it's not quite the upside of what else is out there. Or rumored to be anyway. He may not be my hands down target for this trade deadline, but if you ask me who I'd rather have, Mac Horvath/Bright or 2 1/2 years of Jameson Taillon I'm taking Jameson Taillon. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Sure, absolutely. I am not attached to either of those prospects and Taillon is solid. I'd hope for some cash as well.

We could ask for some of their help with cash in exchange for higher prospects or lower ones if we pay the full price, depending how deal is made 

7 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

We could ask for some of their help with cash in exchange for higher prospects or lower ones if we pay the full price, depending how deal is made 

The rumor includes cash just not a disclosed amount. 

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Not saying there is no chance they are dealing Bassitt but all indications are they are committed to trying to win next year. 

I agree that’s a hurdle, but in theory Bassitt is more replaceable than trading Vlad or Bichette, though. They could trade Bassitt and that opens up his $21M salary next year to sign a new free agent pitcher of about the same caliber (maybe even Kikuchi?), and they pocket the prospects they get in return for the half season they aren’t competitive. 

Jays could be an interesting fit for Urias, they’re planning on being competitive next year and their 3B/2B group is pretty weak.

Bassitt at 1/21 for 2025 is probably a better deal than Toronto could get on the market if they run it one last time.

I noticed 2nd half we have all 7 of our games with them in a short burst near the trade deadline.

Manoah and Tiedemann both having disappointing seasons, so they need innings if they care about competing.

Kikuchi had a terrible game yesterday winding down the first half.

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I agree that’s a hurdle, but in theory Bassitt is more replaceable than trading Vlad or Bichette, though. They could trade Bassitt and that opens up his $21M salary next year to sign a new free agent pitcher of about the same caliber (maybe even Kikuchi?), and they pocket the prospects they get in return for the half season they aren’t competitive. 

Jays could be an interesting fit for Urias, they’re planning on being competitive next year and their 3B/2B group is pretty weak.

It'd take a multi-year commitment though.    I think somewhere between Kyle Gibson and Chris Bassitt is that tipping point Elias cares about.

Cole Irvin might be a fit filling out behind Berrios/Gausman if they go as far as Bassitt but not as far as everyone.

German Marquez made his return from early 2023 Tommy John the other day, but looking at his exact 2025 contract terms, he has a LOT of escalators.    It looks like if he hits them all he earns about 1/20 in 2025 similar to Chris Bassitt.

Clubs will probably gain a view of 2-3 more starts before deadline deciding time, but he probably offers greater upside than Cal Quantrill among Rockies pitchers.    Zoom in the microscope on that small sample.

2 years/$20M (2024-25)

signed extension with Colorado 9/8/23

24:$10M, 25:$10M

2025 roster bonuses: $2M each for 30, 60 days on active roster

2025 performance bonuses: $2M each for 140, 150, 160 innings

assignment bonus: $1M with trade, to be paid by acquiring club

8 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I agree. They can add via FA. 

I think Stowers makes sense for them.  

15 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Would you do this deal?

The Cubs wouldn't. Why would they give Taillon away for a package led by a guy who wouldn't be in their top 20 prospects and eat half his contract for the right to do so? I'm not claiming Taillon should net a 50FV guy, but this makes no sense. His contract is reasonable for what he is, a low end 3 high end 4. They have no need to salary dump him because they have a lot of money coming off the books for 2025, which could be almost 70M if Bellinger opts out. They're planning to be competitive in 2025 so why dump him just so you then have to bring back in a new guy who is likely more expensive? If they're eating literally half his contract, they'll get a far more substantial return than this.

18 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Bassitt at 1/21 for 2025 is probably a better deal than Toronto could get on the market if they run it one last time.

I noticed 2nd half we have all 7 of our games with them in a short burst near the trade deadline.

Manoah and Tiedemann both having disappointing seasons, so they need innings if they care about competing.

Kikuchi had a terrible game yesterday winding down the first half.

He would be, so the Jays are going to have to view any deal in very favorable terms. They have the leverage with him.