The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

We could trade Mountcastle for Mountcastle.

Bet we could get him cheap.

I think the plan is Taylor Ward type and then Mayo for Mountcastle. Kjerstad, Mayo and Mounty are pretty redundant.

1 minute ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

They are saying crochet wants an extension if he’s traded. He wants security. Doesn’t he still have like 4 years left before arb?

Just 2. I’d do 4 at 100 and get the deal done, 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

They are saying crochet wants an extension if he’s traded. He wants security. Doesn’t he still have like 4 years left before arb?

It's not that long.

Service Time (01/2024): 3.028  •  Arb Eligible: 2025  •  Free Agent: 2027

I get why he would want security but I wouldn't trade a ton for a guy that is leaking this stuff.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Except Mountcastle can actually be an asset on defense.

That’s overstated. Mountcastle can’t throw costing this team double plays. His defensive run value is -1 now. Comparably Cowser is + 10.

4 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I think that immediately rules him out for us. It's complicated/risky enough pitching him into the postseason and now you have to negotiate an extension too? Nah, Elias is not doing that.

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I mean I could go back and say we are 175 and 100 over the last 275 games.  I don't know if that is true I am just saying....we can extrapolate and bend any number to our pleasure.  

The more poignant fact is this team has struggled pitching wise since Bradish got hurt, and batting wise since May or so.   There are more red flags flying over this team than in China right now. 

Obviously the injuries to the pitching staff have killed us since last August or so, but no one expected the hitting to become so home run dependent.  We just don't 'create runs'.   We bash for them.  And you can't win a WS that way.  But we have fallen into this trap again.   Especially after we made such strides in that regard (OBP)  the past 2 years.  But we have regressed big time and when you combine that with bad pitching?

We have what we have.  A middling team the past 45 days. 

They averaged 5.6 runs a game in June.  I am not sure how they have been struggling since May.  They hit .273 and Ops of .846 that month.  The offense has struggled for 28 games or so.  

Just now, Rbiggs2525 said:

That’s overstated. Mountcastle can’t throw costing this team double plays. His defensive run value is -1 now. Comparably Cowser is + 10.

Compared to what we've been seeing from Mayo?

Are you serious?

Mountcastle is a competent ML First Baseman.

I think the idea that his arm, at first, is doing damage is "overstated".

It's also just about impossible to grade out as being an asset on defense as a First Baseman.  You could probably put Gunnar over there and he wouldn't grade well.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

A part of me wonders if Elias is looking at this team objectively and seeing that 3 of his starters are lost to injury, his closer stinks, the offense and defense came back down to earth, his bullpen is a mess, his two top pitching prospects are not going to give him much this year... And maybe he's thinking, ehhh it might just not be our year, better keep all the assets. 

I don't think that's necessarily the case, but you have to wonder how many moves it would take to really give this team a fighting chance in the playoffs, and is it worth it to Elias to move that many prospects in order to do that.

Honestly,  any moves should have an eye on 2025 just as much as this season.  

This off season will be crucial to any competitive windows. There has to be some extensions. 

3 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

They averaged 5.6 runs a game in June.  I am not sure how they have been struggling since May.  They hit .273 and Ops of .846 that month.  The offense has struggled for 28 games or so.  

Yeah....ty for making my point.  They did that because they hit lots of homeruns in June.  Wasn't it close to some sort or record?

That HR surge has faded and it sure as heck won't work in Oct when facing elite pitching in the playoffs.  You can't win a WS relying on home runs every night.  You need to get on base and create runs so you can win the 2-1 and 3-2 games. 

I am not sure what your point is other than to help make mine. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Compared to what we've been seeing from Mayo?

Are you serious?

Mountcastle is a competent ML First Baseman.

I think the idea that his arm, at first, is doing damage is "overstated".

It's also just about impossible to grade out as being an asset on defense as a First Baseman.  You could probably put Gunnar over there and he wouldn't grade well.

That’s not correct at all. Christian Walker has been 9,10 and 11 fielding run value the last 3 years. You can’t judge Mayo first base defense on a couple games. I remember Westburg coming up as a hit over field guy.

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Honestly,  any moves should have an eye on 2025 just as much as this season.  

This off season will be crucial to any competitive windows. There has to be some extensions. 

I was just going to say this.   Burnes signing next year for us is what 10%?   If that?

So we have GR....who I DO NOT TRUST AS A #1, Kremer......and?

We are screwed more next year than this year and it isn't even close unless some major trades are made.  Which being honest?  I may wait until the off season to do.  I just don't think for what you have to give up in this current pitching frenzy environment will be worth to do in the next week.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole