The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

He has definitely been better but Fangraphs said this in their May Dbacks prospect update:

De Los Santos has had plus-plus big league raw power since he was 19, but the rest of his game has been sushi raw. For basically his entire time as a prospect, including right now, De Los Santos’ future has hinged on whether or not he’ll get to enough power to support a lower-OBP first base profile. His selectivity at the plate and infield defense have ranged from “immature” to “god awful,” and the former was a big part of why he had a below-average all-around offensive season at Amarillo last year despite hitting 20 bombs.

Keith Law mentioned in a chat last month he doesn’t consider him a good prospect, being heavily aided by the run environment there. Not that it’s the end all be all, as he obviously has huge raw power, but even at best he’s likely a Mark Trumbo type profile with arguably even worse defense. He clearly has upside but still not sure that’s a huge haul for a solid back end reliever that you could have for 3 postseasons. I would happily make that trade. 

He was also not good last year in AA and then things spiked for him in a big run environment. Either way, we should have beaten this offer.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t think anyone will touch him after today. 

Honestly, part of me gets it. But I don’t think it helps his marketability.

He’s not wrong but being used as an opener and then in October shouldn’t require an extension. If it does, he won’t be getting traded unless the extension is a lot less than any of us think.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t think anyone will touch him after today. 

Honestly, part of me gets it. But I don’t think it helps his marketability.

If Skubal isn’t available truly, then I think Crochet gets moved. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He was also not good last year in AA and then things spiked for him in a big run environment. Either way, we should have beaten this offer.

Depends because we don’t know how much the Marlins liked one of the guys.  A ranking is just that but you never know if a specific team values someone much higher then there so called ranking is.  I figure the trade is somewhere around Norby and Fabian type return.  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hopefully they have their eyes on a few other guys. Definitely some more good pieces out there.

27 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

De Los santos has blown up this year.  He was in the futures game Ops over 1000 and 28 homers.  

Yeah, this is some of why I looked at MLB.com's Orioles rankings the other night for stuff like the absence of Michael Forret.

Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo do not I believe rigorously update in season.

The first thing Deyvison brings to mind is he was a Rule 5 pick back in camp - like with Anthony Santander this signals to me he is a very high talent player.

The second thing is a few Fangraphs clicks revealing he has posted the 2nd most wRC (counting stats) of any Age 21 bat in the entire affiliated Minors this season.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

If Skubal isn’t available truly, then I think Crochet gets moved. 

I would prefer to bet on Rodriguez and go for a mid-tier lefty like Kikuchi or Heaney than roll the asset dice on Crochet.

Maybe even Detmers.

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Rumor has it that we are open to trading Mountcastle.  Rumor also has it that we want to trade for a veteran bat.   Is there any scenario where it would make sense to do both?  

Rumor has it Mountcastle is a veteran bat 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Yeah, this is some of why I looked at MLB.com's Orioles rankings the other night for stuff like the absence of Michael Forret.

Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo do not I believe rigorously update in season.

The first thing Deyvison brings to mind is he was a Rule 5 pick back in camp - like with Anthony Santander this signals to me he is a very high talent player.

The second thing is a few Fangraphs clicks revealing he has posted the 2nd most wRC (counting stats) of any Age 21 bat in the entire affiliated Minors this season.

Yeah if he was in Orioles organization and at 20 years old (just turned 21) hitting .325 with 28 homers and 1.011 OPS half the board would be acting like he was future all star and we should be calling him up already.  He seems like a guy that might have been moved up to fast because of signing at 16.  It makes teams push players some because they might lose them in rule 5 if don’t get to majors in time.  
I really like Puk because of the 2.5 years but it looks like they got a pretty solid offer and they must have liked it enough.  We don’t know if and what we offered to get him so no point complaining we should have beat.  I think about Norby and Fabian would have been my top offer but they just might not have liked those guys as much and took the DBack offer.  

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

You really do have to tip your hat to the efficiency optimization that it is conceivable on literally the day before the trade deadline it is in play that Cade Povich and Chayce McDermott start the two ends of a doubleheader for the Baltimore Orioles.

Gee, can you say DH sweep (and not by the O's) and Bullpen meltdown.  Does Elias have to wait for the last day to do anything?