The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, interloper said:

I think in light of the trades yesterday and today, the Eflin trade looks amazing. JMO. Elias jumped the market on that, and then we see the overpays with Kikuchi and Rogers, etc. 

Yeah, I agree. I still like the Eflin acquisition. But I'm infinitely higher on Eflin than Rogers, and it feels that somehow Elias gave up more than Rogers. Tell me how this is good? 

image.png.ad5e28f40f9432413cc7926a22f15c85.png

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

This is the only place that appears to like this deal in our favor. EVERYWHERE else is saying major overpay for a mediocre pitcher.

On paper I can see the case that we "won" the trade but the bigger issue for me is it doesn't help us win the WS. 

Marlins do have really bad OAA so maybe our defense helps? 

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t understand these comments about a player being blocked, so it doesn’t matter how much value you get for them. Just because Norby and Stowers are blocked doesn’t mean we have to take less value for them. 

I agree with you… sorry should have been clearer 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

On paper I can see the case that we "won" the trade but the bigger issue for me is it doesn't help us win the WS. 

I think ME said to himself, I need starters for this year and Next, Kyle, wells, and Corbin, are all likely to either not be here or miss a lot of time.  I say given this, mission accomplished, but i get the issues with this in general 

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Yeah, I agree. I still like the Eflin acquisition. But I'm infinitely higher on Eflin than Rogers, and it feels that somehow Elias gave up more than Rogers. Tell me how this is good? 

image.png.ad5e28f40f9432413cc7926a22f15c85.png

Rogers is $10M cheaper than Eflin this year and probably $15M cheaper next year. Rogers is not the guy I was hoping for but I think I would rather have him than two AAAA prospects with no positions.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Our infield defense has been horrible lately.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Rogers is $10M cheaper than Eflin this year and probably $15M cheaper next year. Rogers is not the guy I was hoping for but I think I would rather have him than two AAAA prospects with no positions.

I would not categorize Stowers or Norby as AAAA prospects. Maybe no future in Baltimore w/ our OF and Holliday/Westy/Mayo, but think you are severely underrating those guys. 

Just now, LGOrioles said:

Still need a high leverage reliever. There is zero chance Elias can honestly think they are set in the pen. 

They seem to love Kimbrel and see no issue with his outings lately which is pretty worrisome. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Which do you think is more predictive, the last two weeks or the last two years?

At this point with how this deadline is going... I'm struggling to be optimistic and may be a little overly negative.

I can't believe after last year, that Elias would do this.

• Haha 1