The 2024 Trade Deadline

The more I look into trade partners, it seems Texas, Toronto,San Francisco, and Chicago Cubs are all interesting. They were all built to make a run in 2024, but now all are essentially hinting at throwing in the towel. They might have pieces that will cost less in prospects if we take on some salary. 

Snell, gausmann, eovaldi, Bellinger, etc

6 hours ago, CTBear said:

It just sounds like an unfocused approach and these deals are all time sensitive with the deadline being only a week away. Things are going to move very fast and I don’t want the FO to be scrambling to add pieces on the last day. The Rangers were far more proactive last year, began adding early and I just thought it was a much better strategy than waiting until the last minute. 

With all you’ve seen from ME, do you really think, of all things, that he has a focus problem?  I mean what in the world would that even be based on?  The guy is as disciplined and patient as any GM in the league. That alone requires constant and continued focus in your approach. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

The more I look into trade partners, it seems Texas, Toronto,San Francisco, and Chicago Cubs are all interesting. They were all built to make a run in 2024, but now all are essentially hinting at throwing in the towel. They might have pieces that will cost less in prospects if we take on some salary. 

Snell, gausmann, eovaldi, Bellinger, etc

The possible pieces available, at least in rumors around Chicago are the following. 

Hector Neris- He was straight up unmitigated garbage to start the season but has been considerably better over the last 10 or so appearances. I don't expect much.

Jameson Taillon- They don't really need to move him because his contract is reasonable, so he likely only goes if they get one solid 2025 contributor back

Cody Bellinger- His value is super hard to figure out with his opt outs. If he opts out there's value, if he opts in, there's probably none.

Mark Leiter Jr.- Absolutely nails when he isn't being pitched into the ground. 2.21 FIP, 2.26 xFIP, 2.65 xERA under control through 2027

Nico Hoerner- A bit below his career average with the bat this year, still a plus defender and extremely efficient base stealer, under contract for '25/'26 at 11.5 and 12M

Justin Steele- 3 more years of control after this year, has been a top 10 pitcher in baseball over the last 3 years, would take a huge package

Tyson Miller- Pop up reliever the Cubs got in a minor trade, I believe he still has 5 years of control left. 

More or less Jed Hoyer has basically said he isn't tearing things down, he wants pieces aiming towards making 2025+ better. So he'd be looking for either near MLB ready or MLB ready returns.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

The possible pieces available, at least in rumors around Chicago are the following. 

Hector Neris- He was straight up unmitigated garbage to start the season but has been considerably better over the last 10 or so appearances. I don't expect much.

Jameson Taillon- They don't really need to move him because his contract is reasonable, so he likely only goes if they get one solid 2025 contributor back

Cody Bellinger- His value is super hard to figure out with his opt outs. If he opts out there's value, if he opts in, there's probably none.

Mark Leiter Jr.- Absolutely nails when he isn't being pitched into the ground. 2.21 FIP, 2.26 xFIP, 2.65 xERA under control through 2027

Nico Hoerner- A bit below his career average with the bat this year, still a plus defender and extremely efficient base stealer, under contract for '25/'26 at 11.5 and 12M

Justin Steele- 3 more years of control after this year, has been a top 10 pitcher in baseball over the last 3 years, would take a huge package

Tyson Miller- Pop up reliever the Cubs got in a minor trade, I believe he still has 5 years of control left. 

More or less Jed Hoyer has basically said he isn't tearing things down, he wants pieces aiming towards making 2025+ better. So he'd be looking for either near MLB ready or MLB ready returns.

Yes, Steele would be a GREAT pickup.  I wonder if others here feel that they'd prefer him over Skubal and/or Crochet?  I'd prefer Steele by a bit over Skubal, with Crochet a distant 3rd, but would be very surprised if the Cubs dealt him.  

[I'm sure another poster has earned "credit" by mentioning whatever I just posted, before I posted it.  I say this so as not to annoy certain posters]

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

They really have faith in Norby, Mayo and Basallo if they're open to trading Mountcastle. Cedric I get that we have a glut of depth to replace him, but Mountcastle is wild. 

Thier both having disappointing years, so it looks like Elias has decided to roll the dice with some of the blocked prospects. Assuming he can get something in return for them.

Man would Justin Steele be awesome, but don't see any reason why the Cubs would trade him. Now or in the offseason for that matter. He's the guy worth the prospect haul.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Thier both having disappointing years, so it looks like Elias has decided to roll the dice with some of the blocked prospects. Assuming he can get something in return for them.

Mountcastle is also going to arbitration next year, so it makes sense to go cheaper if you can.

3 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

They really have faith in Norby, Mayo and Basallo if they're open to trading Mountcastle. Cedric I get that we have a glut of depth to replace him, but Mountcastle is wild. 

I think Cedric actually has the shallower list of replacements behind him. O'Hearn would still be here to absorb a lot of the ABs against righties. Even guys like Santander and Kjerstad have a dash of 1b experience if needed for a game here or there. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I don’t see it happening myself. Willing to listen is just that. 

Would have to play O’Hearn mainly obviously.