The 2024 Trade Deadline

Roughly 8 weeks until deadline. 

Something to keep an eye on are the playoff races. Yes, at this point it may be a little silly but some early trends. Plenty of time for teams to fall out of it but that said only 3 teams as of now in the AL who are done. CWS, OAK and LAA. 

Some things to follow are whether or not another team steps up in the AL WC race and also the ALW. Right now that 3rd WC has a bunch of teams in the mix. I am not sold that KC will keep playing this well either. I also think CLE comes to earth some. HOU keeps hanging around but still hasn’t got back to .500. 

The NL is really mediocre. As of today 4 teams are tied at 2 games under .500 for the last WC spot in the NL. SD at a game under is currently sitting as the 2nd WC.  MIA and COL are by games out the only 2 teams done. That said I don’t think WAS or NYM are going anywhere either. 

The early trends are an extremely mediocre NL with a wide open WC race. In the AL the last WC spot seems wide open and if KC falters it could be 2 spots. Overall question will be how many teams are still in it come late July and early indications are it may be a higher number than usual.  

BTW, can anyway tell me if there is a way to add a countdown timer to the OP? I've searched online but can't seem to find an answer. I'd like to have it countdown in days, with remaining hours and minutes thereafter.  Ex: 49 Days, 16 Hours, 27 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

BTW, can anyway tell me if there is a way to add a countdown timer to the OP? I've searched online but can't seem to find an answer. I'd like to have it countdown in days, with remaining hours and minutes thereafter.  Ex: 49 Days, 16 Hours, 27 minutes. 

I’ve really got to hear about this for another 49 days?  If I had the ability, I’d put this thread on ignore until the all-star break.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve really got to hear about this for another 49 days?  If I had the ability, I’d put this thread on ignore until the all-star break.  

I wish we all had the capability to put threads on ignore that we're not interested in.  Anyway, you've made it clear earlier in the thread that you don't like this topic being created earlier than you'd wished. 

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I wish we all had the capability to put threads on ignore that we're not interested in.  Anyway, you've made it clear earlier in the thread that you don't like this topic being created earlier than you'd wished. 

Did I?  Then I shouldn’t have posted the above, though i genuinely would like that feature.  Carry on, I’ll show myself out.  

4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

There is an easy way ….DONT click on and read it.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Did I?  Then I shouldn’t have posted the above, though i genuinely would like that feature.  Carry on, I’ll show myself out.  

Well in fairness, you at least were consistent...down to the all star break.

I don’t see why we need to trade for another SP. We have a big 3. That’s all you need for the playoffs. Three ACES. 😉

Yimi Garcia and Mason Miller would look really good for the bullpen, but those are probably the back half of the pen for the AL ASG. Keep in mind we had that last year with Cano and Bautista. 

Garcia, Miller, and JD Martinez.  Maybe a RH CF type. We won’t get all of those things, but those guys fix anything that resembles a weakness on this team. 

The biggest problem will be the number of buyers compared to the number of sellers.  And all the buyers want the same thing.  Trust the process and don't make trades just for the sake of making one.  I like this team and what the future holds.  Under NO circumstances trade Holliday, Basallo or Mayo.

2 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

The biggest problem will be the number of buyers compared to the number of sellers.  And all the buyers want the same thing.  Trust the process and don't make trades just for the sake of making one.  I like this team and what the future holds.  Under NO circumstances trade Holliday, Basallo or Mayo.

Yeah, it's expected that the gap will widen and teams will drop back enough to become sellers.  That doesn't preclude deals from occurring now but lessens the chances, certainly.

We need to prepare for LH SP playoff matchups. KC in rd 1 with Ragans. NYY in ALDS with Rodon, and Cortes. Snell, Montgomery, and Luzardo, could all be opposing pitchers too. 

Hence, why we need JD Martinez and a RH CF. 

Vs LH SP for playoffs

1. Westburg 3B R

2. Adley C S

3. JD Martinez DH R

4. Mountcastle 1B R

5. Gunnar SS L

6. Santa RF S

7. Hays LF R

8. Mateo/Norby 2B R

9. RH CF/ Pham??? R