The 2024 Trade Deadline

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

The risk is that by not picking a lane you weaken the team. Some guys get buried in AAA, some vets get benched. You have two groups of players who are unhappy with their nebulously defined roles. 

I understand what you're saying though and agree Elias is acting well within his prior M.O.

No. What you are describing are the unintended consequences of risking as little as possible.

The greater risk would require the bolder action.

Just now, interloper said:

Just wanted to note that, as usual, we heard zero rumors about Hays or Eflin. We did hear about the Orioles being willing to trade Mullins and Mountcastle, but not Hays. And there was no reported interest in Eflin. In fact I think I saw something about the Rays wanting to keep him. 

Has Elias ever made a trade that got leaked more than like a couple hours before it happened? Warehouse is a steel trap. 

The Hays trade was actually announced on the Orioles’ Twitter before being picked up by any reporters. It’s impressive. I don’t recall ever seeing that happen before.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we get one of Anderson/Fedde then that plugs a hole for next year’s team too. 

Skubal is a “go for it” move that had we had not had this collapse maybe you do. Not now. 

We are still in first place. Skubal is the kind of move you do that energizes the team and shows everyone including the players and fans that the bar is set at championship and not merely being a good/winning team.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

No. What you are describing are the unintended consequences of risking as little as possible.

This feels a little like arguing just to argue. I mean when people use the phrase "trying to have it both ways", the assumption is they are talking about it being a bad idea that is usually more harmful than not. 

But yes, in an absolutely technical sense, there is more risk by strict definition of the word in going hard one direction.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They haven’t gotten that FA deal yet. They want to start somewhere. 

See how this happened?

I don't care. They're professionals making millions of dollars to play a children's game. If they want to cry like little b****es about their poor performance costing them playing time, they are free switch to another profession where crying is actually allowed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We are still in first place. Skubal is the kind of move you do that energizes the team and shows everyone including the players and fans that the bar is set at championship and not merely being a good/winning team.

Sure but DET aren't trading him. I think that's pretty clear now. And the Orioles are reportedly not keen on moving their top 3 anyway.

57 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Question…. If Snell pitches well he’s going to opt out. So he’s either a rental or a guy on a bad contract. Meaning you get him on the cheap or the Giants guarantee a pile of money if he accepts the option. Either way I don’t think a 1 year contract means we give up on resigning Burnes if that’s their goal. I know it would be my priority.

I like the idea of having a top 4 of Burnes, Eflin, Grayson, and Bradish. Leaving the 5 hole or one of the other young guys.

Thats what they should be thinking about (Burnes) snell is another back loaded  bad contract that we dont need. We already have Eflin which we had to do.

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I think we’re finding out that the bigger risk was losing the locker room. 

I still think the bigger priority right now should be replacing Kimbrel. That's Elias' signing and his mess to clean up. All of us here could have told him this was going to happen. 

I like Dominguez but he cannot be our only relief pickup if we are to be taken seriously as a playoff team.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure but DET aren't trading him. I think that's pretty clear now. And the Orioles are reportedly not keen on moving their top 3 anyway.

I haven’t been following the rumor mill the last 12- 14 hours or so. So, I might have missed the news coming out of DET that said they are not selling/trading Skubal.

As far as the O’s go, if that’s the case, it’s not surprising. That would follow more of the front office’s MO to continue to hedge.

I’m concerned (if that is the case) that we are at the point where we may be sacrifices opportunities in the present for possibilities in the future that will probably not be as good.

If we are going to continue to draft this way, not trade for longer term top end pitching talent, and not sign them in FA. Where will it come from?

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just wanted to note that, as usual, we heard zero rumors about Hays or Eflin. We did hear about the Orioles being willing to trade Mullins and Mountcastle, but not Hays. And there was no reported interest in Eflin. In fact I think I saw something about the Rays wanting to keep him. 

Has Elias ever made a trade that got leaked more than like a couple hours before it happened? Warehouse is a steel trap. 

In general this year as a whole, it feels as if there are less trade rumor leaks all across MLB. At least it seems that way to me.

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

I definitely heard/read us tied to Eflin prior to the deal, but that may have been (most likely was) speculative rather than based on a concrete rumor.

Elias definitely runs one of the tightest-lipped FOs in the game right now though, no doubt about it.

I'd expressed the hope the other day other clubs had caught up at not giving the Rays Glasnow/Baz kind of arms, but looks like AJ Preller is giving them Dylan Lesko ($4M high school arm from class of 2022) for Jason Adam, according to initial reports

Probably too quick for Jason Adam to throw the 8th inning in front of Albert Suarez's little brother today.

During Arizona Fall League, I heard a description of the Padres as a club with a not that great sense of what makes a fastball good apart from velocity, which I thought was kind of a funny line for the modern world of 300 frames per second, and the old words ingrained in the game.

30 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We need to sort our clubhouse out before making a big franchise altering trade. Let’s see what we do with Mullins and Mountcastle first and how the team responds. 

If Hyde has lost the team, why invest more into it?