The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Starting pitcher is biggest need to me. Suárez and Povich showed they cannot be relied on the rest of the season. Left handed reliever is second biggest need. I would like to see the Orioles use Mayo in RF more after trade deadline. That could be our RHH if one cannot be acquired.

Mayo is not a RF. You don’t take a kid who in 4 years in the minors has never played an inning in the outfield and just throw him in RF in the middle of a pennant race.

52 minutes ago, toughbuff1 said:

If we're hypothetically trading with the Angels, doesn't Rengifo make more sense than Ward, especially with Matteo out? He can play 2nd, 3rd,  and SS, and hits at a slightly higher than league average. Especially if they think Holliday isn't ready and are concerned about Mayo's defense.

Yes, and I want to enjoy Melanie Newman's exaggerated pronunciation of Rengifo.

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Skubal is 100% not happening.

Snell? Maybe, but probably not.

That leaves Crochet as the most plausible ace-type acquisition, IMO. 

I'm curious why you think Crochet is plausible.  It makes no sense for us to trade for a guy that wouldn't pitch in this postseason, and it makes no sense to extend a guy with his injury history and lack of track record.

I suppose everything comes down to price (trade and contract-wise) but it just seems like having to clear two hurdles like that is extremely unlikey.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I'm curious why you think Crochet is plausible.  It makes no sense for us to trade for a guy that wouldn't pitch in this postseason, and it makes no sense to extend a guy with his injury history and lack of track record.

I suppose everything comes down to price (trade and contract-wise) but it just seems like having to clear two hurdles like that is extremely unlikey.  

I think folks just don't want to accept that the O's are unlikely to add a "needle mover" starter this deadline.  Elias already got his guy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, StottyByNature said:

I think he is scuffed up enough and, after yesterday's Fedde trade, that Getz is incompetent/eccentric enough that Kjerstad and one of Povich or McDermott would be a good enough start to a package to at least get him a little tipsy.

I should also add that I don't think it's very plausible overall, just the most plausible of the 3 most discussed ace trade candidates since he is the most obviously available.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think folks just don't want to accept that the O's are unlikely to add a "needle mover" starter this deadline.  Elias already got his guy.

I agree that Eflin is the big fish for the rotation, but adding someone like Trevor Rogers from Miami as an upside play with 2 more years of control should be realistic and doable, perhaps packaged with Scott or Nardi. He's even optionable if you want to tinker with him a little away from the bright lights and noise of a playoff race. 

You could even secure a third full year of control if you kept him down long enough, just sayin'  😉

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I think if we get another starter, it’ll be Flaherty. I don’t think we’ll get another starter though. Hopefully we get BP help.

If Elias could somehow get Erceg and Scott, I'd be pretty happy.