The 2024 Trade Deadline

I feel pretty good with a top 3 of Burns, Grayson, Eflin for the playoffs.  If we can find a starter that pushes Kremer to 5 and Suarez to the bullpen I think that puts our rotation in pretty good shape the rest of the season.

Add a big arm to the back of the BP with the addition of Suarez and the BP looks a lot more solid. 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I hope/wish.

But what makes you so confident and by that time? Isn't the deadline over at 6pm?

This year, yes, but it's normally 3:30 or 4, and that's what people are used to.  Not sure why it's later this year. 

1 hour ago, toughbuff1 said:

If we're hypothetically trading with the Angels, doesn't Rengifo make more sense than Ward, especially with Matteo out? He can play 2nd, 3rd,  and SS, and hits at a slightly higher than league average. Especially if they think Holliday isn't ready and are concerned about Mayo's defense.

I think the most likely trade is Norby for a reliever or RH outfielder, with a Holliday promotion. 

Everyone would like Rengifo's bat, but that doesn't really fit without some other big deal like Holliday+ for Skubal.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think folks just don't want to accept that the O's are unlikely to add a "needle mover" starter this deadline.  Elias already got his guy.

If the bolded is true and Elias is content or willing to settle for what he has done, we are going to have some problems ahead of us.

IMO you cannot be great without some willingness to be bold. We are not going to be able to continue to operate like we have, ignore pitching talent in the draft, only do cheap/fringe/waiver wire bp acquisitions, and hedge our way to championships.

That's not how this works. It hasn't worked like that for any team in modern MLB history. At some point you have to do something significant. What was the point of acquiring Burnes if you weren't going to take a legit swing with the one year you had him under control?

• Upvote 1

Does anyone think any of the big 3 will be traded today. I think there is zero chance of it. Elias loves the farm system and it seems to be hard for him to give up anyone. 

3 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

If the O's go for Erceg (in addition to Scott), why not try to pry Miguel Andujar from the A's as well?

He can't play LF in OPACY, which I would assume is a prerequisite for any hypothetical OF addition we would make.

So far, Elias tends to strike early in FA and trade.  I hope he adds more today but wouldn't be surprised at all if he's done.  I don't love the O's chances going forward but we could do worse than a Burnes, GRod, Eflin 1-3 in the playoffs.  Eflin is not a bad Bradish replacement. 

My bigger problem is chewing innings getting to the playoffs and the 5th spot is a total mess with injuries, Suarez (understandably) fading, and the two rookies looking bad.   Even a lower level starter added to DK would make the 4-5 spots better and push Suarez to the pen where he'd help.  An average-ish starter shouldn't cost much, especially if he's a rental.  Let DR spend some $ in the offseason to address the '25 rotation.

The pen is a bigger problem, as it has been since Bautista went down.  Elias has really come up short there.  They have to add a big arm here, hope DC comes back, and that someone like DK can be effective out of the pen in the playoffs.

If Mateo isn't coming back, I'd find another capable SS, even if he's glove only, and get Mayo up here yesterday.  In the right deal, I'd trade any of Kjerstad, Povich, McDermott and other non-Big3.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

If the bolded is true and Elias is content or willing to settle for what he has done, we are going to have some problems ahead of us.

IMO you cannot be great without some willingness to be bold. We are not going to be able to continue to operate like we have, ignore pitching talent in the draft, only do cheap/fringe/waiver wire bp acquisitions, and hedge our way to championships.

That's not how this works. It hasn't worked like that for any team in modern MLB history. At some point you have to do something significant. What was the point of acquiring Burnes if you weren't going to take a legit swing with the one year you had him under control?

I'm not sure I agree with this.  There is a line between being bold and being reckless.  I think Elias has shown appropriate restraint while also turning over every stone.  Just because we don't land a top guy doesn't mean it's a failure.  What if the Tigers/White Sox aren't budging from an ask of 2 of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo?  That would be a reckless, desperate move on our end.

I think we'll add a bullpen piece with an outside shot at another starter.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I'm not sure I agree with this.  There is a line between being bold and being reckless.  I think Elias has shown appropriate restraint while also turning over every stone.  Just because we don't land a top guy doesn't mean it's a failure.  What if the Tigers/White Sox aren't budging from an ask of 2 of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo?  That would be a reckless, desperate move on our end.

In pro sports, you don't get to keep saying, "Well I tried". That wouldn't be an acceptable outcome for any player or manager, why should it be any different for a general manager?

Other teams are finding ways to add talent, whether through trade or FA acquisitions. The Orioles play within the same set of rules as everyone else. Elias' job is to figure it out.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh and this is in no way shape or form meant to be personal toward you. But I don't EVER believe in making excuses. IMO that is a defeatist mentality. 

10 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

Plus they're going into their first off season with new ownership.  I would be pretty ticked as a fan if they spent prospects like a kid in a candy store for just one shot at it.

The paltry return the White Sox got for Fedde and Kopech was easily beatable, so I wonder if Elias has a couple of better deals cooking. He clearly can’t be done at this point and I don’t believe that taking on salary is a problem any longer. I think something happens today. 

• Upvote 1

How you feel about Eflin or Kikuchi is I guess a proxy how you feel about Sean Forman's measurement of WAR relative to David Appelman.

One says Zach Eflin was the #1 pitcher on a 2023 Rays team that won 99 games.     A third set of evaluators rated him a down ballot Cy  Young candidate.

• Upvote 1