What does the Bradish injury really mean?

Sports Guy

34 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

If Bradish is out for TJ, then I'd trade anyone for the right SP with 2+ years of control. We're going to need to replace Bradish for the rest of this year and some of next. Chances are pretty high that Burnes hits FA. So, we need 2 TOR SP next year.

I think a proven SP helps us more than waiting to see what type of MLBer any of the prospects will be.

If the Orioles are going to trade some top prospects this would be a reason to do it if Bradish ends up getting TJ surgery. A good #3 type and 99 MPH reliever are the two biggest needs if this team wants to play deep into October. 

12 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I like the idea of getting Crochet, but the White Sox will have an unrealistic asking price just like with Cease. 

They asked for a lot and made a deal for less.  That’s the way it works.

TRADE DETAILS
Padres receive: RHP Dylan Cease
White Sox receive: RHP Drew Thorpe (MLB Pipeline's No. 85 prospect; SD No. 5), OF Samuel Zavala (SD No. 7), RHP Jairo Iriarte (SD No. 8), RHP Steven Wilson

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They asked for a lot and made a deal for less.  That’s the way it works.

TRADE DETAILS
Padres receive: RHP Dylan Cease
White Sox receive: RHP Drew Thorpe (MLB Pipeline's No. 85 prospect; SD No. 5), OF Samuel Zavala (SD No. 7), RHP Jairo Iriarte (SD No. 8), RHP Steven Wilson

Yeah after an entire trade deadline and offseason they finally relented. 

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Yeah after an entire trade deadline and offseason they finally relented. 

Getz wasn’t the GM at the deadline last year.  He traded Cease before the season started.  Call that an artificial deadline.   Now, he’s made his first big trade.  He still doesn’t have a deadline.  The buyers do.  He can wait until the off-season if he wants but bidding should be pretty strong in late July.

Once again, we have the ability to outbid most teams and we even have some pitching to offer if we want to.

Bring back Jack?   We apparently were just ahead of the curve and it took him bit longer to recover from injuries.    Honestly you can add a 3rd or 4th starter that is controlled and have him for next year as well if Burnes leaves.  This just puts more on Cade Povich imo than anything, if he can cut down on walks his stuff is good another to fill in as a 3rd or 4th stater.   I know the idea you need 3 or 4 Top of rotation guys in the playoffs to win but that just isn’t reality.   Just look at the 3 and 4 starters last year in the playoffs.  The World Series game 3 was Max Scherzer coming off injury and on pitch count and went 3 innings only vs Brandon Pfaadt.  Game 4 was Andrew Heaney vs Joe Mantiply.  Who had any of those guys as 3rd and 4th starters in World Series. on their bingo card mid season?  

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I like the idea of getting Crochet, but the White Sox will have an unrealistic asking price just like with Cease. 

Yeah, I don't see the point of fixating on individual targets. They almost never work out due to price, other bidders, etc. No one was focused on Burnes and yet he turned out to be available at a good price. The odds of a SP trade have gone up but I'm not going to waste time trying to predict which one is the best match. If we go for a SP, hopefully it works out more like Burnes than Flaherty. 

• Upvote 1

Crochet is intriguing but he's having a breakout at the worst possible time for the CWS. There is no way he can pitch all season long without the risk of breaking him again after pitching just 12IP last year coming back late from TJS. They are going to value him as a #1 starter and he likely won't be available to pitch all season long. I've been reading/hearing that CWS are going to keep him around 20 starts or so, he's at 15 now.

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, I don't see the point of fixating on individual targets. They almost never work out due to price, other bidders, etc. No one was focused on Burnes and yet he turned out to be available at a good price. The odds of a SP trade have gone up but I'm not going to waste time trying to predict which one is the best match. If we go for a SP, hopefully it works out more like Burnes than Flaherty. 

Forgot Crochet would be on an innings limit too. Nevermind. 

If I were a GM, I would set a budget for the amount I can spend on starting pitching per year in terms of prospect value. And sending away the prospect value of Ortiz + Hall should be pretty close to the maximum amount any team spends on starting pitching for one season. Those types of moves can only be done so many times.

If it helps you to sleep easier, imagine that the Burnes trade was insurance against Bradish/Means getting injured, and we're now invoking that insurance policy. Instead of trading for Burnes after the injuries occurred, he was acquired beforehand.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

If I were a GM, I would set a budget for the amount I can spend on starting pitching per year in terms of prospect value. And sending away the prospect value of Ortiz + Hall should be pretty close to the maximum amount any team spends on starting pitching for one season. Those types of moves can only be done so many times.

If it helps you to sleep easier, imagine that the Burnes trade was insurance against Bradish/Means getting injured, and we're now invoking that insurance policy. Instead of trading for Burnes after the injuries occurred, he was acquired beforehand.

I wouldn't lock myself in to a gameplan with so little flexibility.