17 Runs after Gunnar getting drilled. Was that enough fire from Hyde?

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

My biggest problem is what John Heyman said. Another day of legacy media spewing gardage over facts. Yankees have now hit us 9 times in 7 games.

I don't know what he said, but the only thing Heyman is good for is giving us whatever hype that Boras wants out there. He's nothing more than a Boros PR guy.

33 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

The Judge HBP reminded me of Sabathia hitting Markakis and breaking his hand in 2014, I think. Pitching inside is a necessary thing, and when your star gets hit, it stinks. It was not intentional , in either case. Hitters are all taught to “turn in.” What happened to that basic principal? Or maybe just lift your hands. 

There were PLENTY of Orioles fans who thought Sabathia hit Markakis intentionally (it was 2012, not 2014).  I’m sure if one went back to those threads they’d be full of posters talking about how we needed to retaliate etc.  

As to “turning in,” it’s easy to say, harder to do.  It’s 0.4 seconds between the time the ball leaves the pitchers’ hand to the time it reaches home plate.  And a lot of the HBP are on pitches that break in at the last fraction of a second.   The batter meanwhile is ready to be moving his hips and momentum forward, while “turning in” is a backwards move.  So if a breaking pitch doesn’t break, or if a FB heads right towards you out of the pitcher’s hand, maybe you have a chance of “turning in,” but lots of times there’s just not enough time to react.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

17 runs was a heck of a retaliation. Hyde wasn’t getting thrown out of a game or anything. We didn’t brawl or headhunt. Instead we just dropped 17 on them. Maybe we aren’t the cute, cuddly, youngins anymore. 

I bet all of NYY land is waking up this morning wondering who woke up the O’s?

When were they sleep mmm ever asleep this season?

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

My biggest problem is what John Heyman said. Another day of legacy media spewing gardage over facts. Yankees have now hit us 9 times in 7 games.

The Yankees announcers were pretty bad as well. Their reaction was Gunnar being hit was "The fans like it!"

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There were PLENTY of Orioles fans who thought Sabathia hit Markakis intentionally (it was 2012, not 2014).  I’m sure if one went back to those threads they’d be full of posters talking about how we needed to retaliate etc.  

As to “turning in,” it’s easy to say, harder to do.  It’s 0.4 seconds between the time the ball leaves the pitchers’ hand to the time it reaches home plate.  And a lot of the HBP are on pitches that break in at the last fraction of a second.   The batter meanwhile is ready to be moving his hips and momentum forward, while “turning in” is a backwards move.  So if a breaking pitch doesn’t break, or if a FB heads right towards you out of the pitcher’s hand, maybe you have a chance of “turning in,” but lots of times there’s just not enough time to react.  

I agree, many fans on both sides thought each one was intentional. They were wrong then, and now. (I may have thought CC hit him intentionally then, but I was emotional and I was wrong.) Two seamers, in particular, do move inside late on arm side batters, RHP on RHB and vice versa. It is tough to move, and hitters are taught to stay in there. This is why I have no problem with the elbow guards. Many still are able to get the hands out of the way, or turn in. When the hitters dive in, it’s really hard to get out of the way. It’s a trade off, and sometimes you have to wear one. But don’t act surprised. Judge should be pitched inside, and he doesn’t like it, tough. The man has no holes, and the pitcher needs the pitch down and away. When Judge can cover that and drive it from as far back as he stands, you have to back him off.

Pitchers MUST pitch inside, and if anyone thinks Suarez hit Judge intentionally, they do not know baseball at all. Mostly, both fanbases were having emotionally filled rants after the fact. It hurts when it’s your best or favorite player. That’s baseball. The best hitters still have to be challenged, and pitchers sometimes put more pressure on themselves to make their best or perfect pitch against the best hitters. They try to be better than they are capable of being, instead of just delivering another pitch. It caused the mechanics to be off in timing, or to simply overthrow.

16 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Tweet from Jon Heyman on Wednesday:   "Word is Judge wants to play tonight (but Yanks may still play it cautiously). A real dislike is brewing here. Yankees people see issue with O’s pitching style."

Ha! If they disliked the Orioles then, they really love them now. Heyman is such a schill for the NY teams. See them soon.

34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know what he said, but the only thing Heyman is good for is giving us whatever hype that Boras wants out there. He's nothing more than a Boros PR guy.

He said Yankees brash are upset with the Orioles pitching style. Setting a narrative that the Orioles pitching style is aggressive throwing inside. He should have put in that there is zero data to back these allegations. I understand he is just being an ear piece for the Yankees but it’s completely wrong.

Just now, Rbiggs2525 said:

He said Yankees brash are upset with the Orioles pitching style. Setting a narrative that the Orioles pitching style is aggressive throwing inside. He should have put in that there is zero data to back these allegations. I understand he is just being an ear piece for the Yankees but it’s completely wrong.

It is wrong and the statistics prove it out. Saying that, if the Yankees "brass" is saying that, then they are just mad because they just got beat 2 out 3 at home including a beat down yesterday. 

Plus, if your batter hang over the plate or stand on the plate, expect them to get hit more because pitchers can't give him ad pitch away.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

17 runs was a heck of a retaliation. Hyde wasn’t getting thrown out of a game or anything. We didn’t brawl or headhunt. Instead we just dropped 17 on them. Maybe we aren’t the cute, cuddly, youngins anymore. 

I bet all of NYY land is waking up this morning wondering who woke up the O’s?

Was there anyone that was saying Hyde should have people throw at people or get thrown out of games.?I think he lets the team get run over by bad umpires. When he did actually get ticked on Wednesday at the badly missed ball/strike call, things actually seemed to get a little better. 

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Tweet from Jon Heyman on Wednesday:   "Word is Judge wants to play tonight (but Yanks may still play it cautiously). A real dislike is brewing here. Yankees people see issue with O’s pitching style."

"They keep preventing us from scoring enough runs to win.  We really dislike that."  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Malike said:

I like Judge and usually he's a great interview but after listening to him after the game where he was hit all that kept popping into my head was a line from Deuce Bigalow - "that's a big b****".

*Huge B****

• Upvote 1

Really wish umpires took HBP more seriously. There's no place in baseball for it. It's an awful practice that is taught early on player's careers. And it needs incredible repercussions to the pitcher, the coach, and the team when it happens. It's just handled so blasé.

MLB needs to keep a scorecard of how many times they happen. I don't care if it happens in retaliation. There needs to be some sort of tiering. There needs to be a review after every game where a HBP happens so that MLB can determine just how intentional it might have been. There really should be punishments handed out to the team/GM in the event of too many of them, i.e. loss of draft picks.