Bring up Mayo already!!

On 7/1/2024 at 11:50 PM, Frobby said:

Mayo made his 11th error of the season tonight.   Sorry, On the Verge didn’t tweet a highlight so I can’t embed it here.   

At this point, Elias should just IL Mounty and that buys him some time to see Mayo up here and builds in an excuse if Mayo were to flop. 

I don’t think Elias wants to come off Urias. But… what is best case scenario for Urias in the playoffs?  He’s a defensive replacement?  When?  We like Westburg at 3B and Mateo at 2B. 

Bring Mayo up, if he kills he stays and we trade Urias to an NL team for a non 40 man prospect.   Bradish can be 60 day IL’d for the 40 man spot for Mayo. So we don’t even lost a player. 

Mayo has forced the issue. Who cares if we don’t get as much value back for Urias as we think. Urias is in such a niche role for us. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At this point, Elias should just IL Mounty and that buys him some time to see Mayo up here and builds in an excuse if Mayo were to flop. 

I don’t think Elias wants to come off Urias. But… what is best case scenario for Urias in the playoffs?  He’s a defensive replacement?  When?  We like Westburg at 3B and Mateo at 2B. 

Bring Mayo up, if he kills he stays and we trade Urias to an NL team for a non 40 man prospect.   Bradish can be 60 day IL’d for the 40 man spot for Mayo. So we don’t even lost a player. 

Mayo has forced the issue. Who cares if we don’t get as much value back for Urias as we think. Urias is in such a niche role for us. 

Pending a trade to clear the logjam, I think Mayo makes more sense in the current roster construction than Kjerstad. There’s some at-bats for Kjerstad to be had. But they come at the expense of Santander, Mounty, O’Hearn, Cowser, Mullins, and Hays: who are all performing well. Whereas Mayo can play nearly everyday at 3B, taking at bats away from Mateo and Urias. At this moment the addition by subtraction of Urias/Mateo at-bats is more valuable.  Urias can be kept around as a defensive replacement and an insurance option should Mayo have a Holliday-esque debut. 

7 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Pending a trade to clear the logjam, I think Mayo makes more sense in the current roster construction than Kjerstad. There’s some at-bats for Kjerstad to be had. But they come at the expense of Santander, Mounty, O’Hearn, Cowser, Mullins, and Hays: who are all performing well. Whereas Mayo can play nearly everyday at 3B, taking at bats away from Mateo and Urias. At this moment the addition by subtraction of Urias/Mateo at-bats is more valuable.  Urias can be kept around as a defensive replacement and an insurance option should Mayo have a Holliday-esque debut. 

Urias/Mateo have almost no trade value that would actually help the team. Mateo isn't going anywhere as he's basically the only real backup SS we have. If you want Mayo up and want to trade someone to actually get a piece that will make a difference, then you probably float Westburg out there.

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

Urias/Mateo have almost no trade value that would actually help the team. Mateo isn't going anywhere as he's basically the only real backup SS we have. If you want Mayo up and want to trade someone to actually get a piece that will make a difference, then you probably float Westburg out there.

I’m ok trading Urias for a warm body.   For me, adding Mayo just makes a good offense even better.   Trading Westburg would defeat that purpose.  We still have plenty to trade to get a mid rotation starter and 1-2 relievers.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I’m ok trading Urias for a warm body.   For me, adding Mayo just makes a good offense even better.   Trading Westburg would defeat that purpose.  We still have plenty to trade to get a mid rotation starter and 1-2 relievers.

I meant if we wanted a real needle mover. CWS were reportedly asking for Westburg for Cease, say they ask that for Crochet, as an example.

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

I meant if we wanted a real needle mover. CWS were reportedly asking for Westburg for Cease, say they ask that for Crochet, as an example.

That would be a tough decision.  I would steer them to a package headlined by Kjerstad instead.  I think most on here would do neither.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

That would be a tough decision.  I would steer them to a package headlined by Kjerstad instead.  I think most on here would do neither.

Agreed. Was basically saying that Urias/Mateo are probably more valuable to us than another team. I don't think we'd get anything that would really make a difference on the ML team for them.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Agreed. Was basically saying that Urias/Mateo are probably more valuable to us than another team. I don't think we'd get anything that would really make a difference on the ML team for them.

Probably, but I’m okay with that.  Trade Urias for a B prospect pitcher with a good arm, international pool money, whatever.   Or keep him for depth and figure out something with Kjerstad or another.   Just make room for Mayo.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

Probably, but I’m okay with that.  Trade Urias for a B prospect pitcher with a good arm, international pool money, whatever.   Or keep him for depth and figure out something with Kjerstad or another.   Just make room for Mayo.

That would be the biggest upgrade, Mayo. He should be up as soon as possible.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Does SLG determine who’s the best hitter?   James Wood had an OPS about 50 points higher than Mayo’s before Woods’ promotion on Monday.   

Roy is an entertainer, not a journalist.   Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story.

33 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yes, Urias might be closer to DFA’ing than real trade value. Mateo is useful and has some value but we are using that value. 

Westburg shouldn’t go anywhere. 

Until a larger trade is made clearing the logjam or an injury, my preference would be Mayo up, Kjerstad down as I think Mayo takes at bats away from worse players. 

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

Yes, Urias might be closer to DFA’ing than real trade value. Mateo is useful and has some value but we are using that value. 

Westburg shouldn’t go anywhere. 

Until a larger trade is made clearing the logjam or an injury, my preference would be Mayo up, Kjerstad down as I think Mayo takes at bats away from worse players. 

The best and easiest way to clear the biggest logjam is to trade O'Hearn for a quality reliever or a prospect. It's a classic sell high move, and it's much easier to trade for a non-closer reliever than it is to trade for a starter. There are plenty of contending teams that need offensive help. And most importantly, it clears the DH slot for Kjerstad and Mayo. 

And Kjerstad shouldn't be sent down again. He's been mishandled enough by Elias and Hyde already, and he's a potential 40 HR bat with upside much higher than a few players who aren't part of the long-term future of this team and that he should already be taking at bats from, including Hays (even against LHP), Mullins (who's going to inevitably slump again and still has terrible offensive numbers despite a red hot 2+ weeks), and O'Hearn.