Heston Kjerstad 2024

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Imagine playing Mayo in RF and Kjerstad in LF at the same time in Camden Yards? Woof!

Why can't we play Mayo at 3rd, Westburg at second? Or play Mayo at first. Or he could DH. He should be up here. Urias should be gone.

After all of the deadline moves it sounds like a good chance Kjerstad will be sent back down to AAA today.  Overall I am happy with the deadline moves Elias made, I think the team is improved for the second half and playoffs.

However, I can't help but wonder if Elias made a mistake by not trading Kjerstad the past week.  Kjerstad has had multiple opportunities now to come up and stick on the 25 man but he seems to keep getting sent back down.  Is his defense just too much of a liability to stick in the majors? Is going back to Norfolk going to tank his value for future trades?

I guess I am just trying to figure out what his role in the organization is going to be the rest of the year and into the future and if Elias may have missed his highest value this past trade deadline to get something valuable for him. 

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

After all of the deadline moves it sounds like a good chance Kjerstad will be sent back down to AAA today.  Overall I am happy with the deadline moves Elias made, I think the team is improved for the second half and playoffs.

However, I can't help but wonder if Elias made a mistake by not trading Kjerstad the past week.  Kjerstad has had multiple opportunities now to come up and stick on the 25 man but he seems to keep getting sent back down.  Is his defense just too much of a liability to stick in the majors? Is going back to Norfolk going to tank his value for future trades?

I guess I am just trying to figure out what his role in the organization is going to be the rest of the year and into the future and if Elias may have missed his highest value this past trade deadline to get something valuable for him. 

Personally I think getting beaned in the noggin and missing some time there has him a bit off at the moment.  No issues with sending him back down to get squared away at AAA.  He looked pretty good before that play.

• Upvote 1

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Personally I think getting beaned in the noggin and missing some time there has him a bit off at the moment.  No issues with sending him back down to get squared away at AAA.  He looked pretty good before that play.

Yeah I’m thinking that may have cooled his bat a bit if anything. Hopefully he’s still good between the ears though since he was pretty shook in that moment

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Kjerstad may be a trade in the offseason guy. The problem is there wasn’t anyone truly available that warranted trading him.

But I do agree that he likely needs to go, especially if they keep Santander which I think is a real possibility.

Kjerstad being sent to Seattle makes a lot of sense but perhaps not a lot of sense right now.

I think Mounty is also gone this offseason.

If I had to make the lineup for next year, the starting position players would be Adley, Mayo, Holliday, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser and Santander. OHearn will likely be kept to go vs righties.

That leaves either CF or LF open. Do they keep Mullins?  I tend to doubt it unless he has a big end to the season. 

So that is an area they could spend on either players or money.

Basallo may factor in as well at some point.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Yup.  Gotta think the concussion is playing into this.  Scary stuff.  He'll battle Mayo for the position player call up in September.  I guess Pache will be in the fold if he clears waivers.  

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yep. He has looked awful at times and you just wonder if that is playing with him mentally at all. People will be upset when they see him sent down but I think they are ignoring the elephant in the room there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Kjerstad may be a trade in the offseason guy. The problem is there wasn’t anyone truly available that warranted trading him.

But I do agree that he likely needs to go, especially if they keep Santander which I think is a real possibility.

Kjerstad being sent to Seattle makes a lot of sense but perhaps not a lot of sense right now.

If I had to make the lineup for next year, the starting position players would be Adley, Mayo, Holliday, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser and Santander. OHearn will likely be kept to go vs righties.

That leaves either CF or LF open. Do they keep Mullins?  I tend to doubt it unless he has a big end to the season. 

2026 FA SP.  Guys like Burnes that could be one year rentals for Kjerstad.  Snell, Montgomery, Bassitt, Eovaldi, Wacha, Lugo, Imanaga, etc...

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/_/year/2026/position/sp/sort/contract_value

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yup.  Gotta think the concussion is playing into this.  Scary stuff.  He'll battle Mayo for the position player call up in September.  I guess Pache will be in the fold if he clears waivers.  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep. He has looked awful at times and you just wonder if that is playing with him mentally at all. People will be upset when they see him sent down but I think they are ignoring the elephant in the room there.

Agree with these sentiments. Kjerstad will likely be optioned at least temporarily. I think that's fine, though some fans will freak out about it. 

The simple fact is he's not really needed right now with Mullins and Cowser rebounding. So you might as well deploy some right-handed guys to fill in and help with LH pitching. Or at least see how that goes for awhile. I see nothing wrong with that approach. 

I think it makes sense that the concussion could be playing into some of his issues and getting sent down could be a good thing for him.  I guess the question will be how do they find room on the roster to bring him back up when he is back to 100%.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I know Julio’s salary gets a big bump starting in 2025. I’d love to see us move Kjerstad for Castillo if we can’t sign Burnes but can extend Santander. Kind of a unique scenario but I could see those things happening. 

Just now, CTBear said:

I know Julio’s salary gets a big bump starting in 2025. I’d love to see us move Kjerstad for Castillo if we can’t sign Burnes but can extend Santander. Kind of a unique scenario but I could see those things happening. 

I kind of like Santander on this team, but I'm afraid of his post-30 years, which will be starting NEXT season.   I wouldn't mind seeing them extend him for 2 years right now.  I think going any longer than that would be too much.   He would still have some time to make some money after that as he'd be coming off his age 31 season.    

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I kind of like Santander on this team, but I'm afraid of his post-30 years, which will be starting NEXT season.   I wouldn't mind seeing them extend him for 2 years right now.  I think going any longer than that would be too much.   He would still have some time to make some money after that as he'd be coming off his age 31 season.    

It’s true. Not many sluggers age gracefully like Nelson Cruz. He’s a switch hitting competent RF having a monster season though so I’ve gotta think he gets more than Soler’s 3/$42mm. 

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

No chance Santander settles for 2 years this off-season.