Heston Kjerstad 2024

13 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Is this a good teammate?  Heston got his three at-bats last night, was replaced, and then before the 8th inning, heads to the clubhouse, and is gone from the parking lot before the game is over.  I don't know, but I don't feel like that's cool.  Hanging out with the team in the dugout until the end of the game would be the right thing to do, in my mind.  I mean, that's what I'd do.  Am I too harsh saying this?  Is he really that "special" that it's okay?

Do you know any of the circumstances behind him doing this?

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Is this a good teammate?  Heston got his three at-bats last night, was replaced, and then before the 8th inning, heads to the clubhouse, and is gone from the parking lot before the game is over.  I don't know, but I don't feel like that's cool.  Hanging out with the team in the dugout until the end of the game would be the right thing to do, in my mind.  I mean, that's what I'd do.  Am I too harsh saying this?  Is he really that "special" that it's okay?

Way too many missing facts here to know.   In general I'd agree that you stick with your team until the end.   But,  considering he's just coming back for from concussion symptoms, maybe as soon as his bats were over they wanted him to get to a cool, quiet, darker place to rest and that environment can't be obtained in the clubhouse?  Or maybe there were dozens of other possible reasons beyond him thinking he's 'special'   Maybe he's just a jerk and said he wasn't hanging out with these low level milb players... or maybe there was a valid reason that none of us know now,  or are likely to ever know with the Os always playing things close to the vest.  But I don't think calling him out on it is the best move without knowing the circumstances.  

Edited by forphase1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

What is your source for this? Are we certain he didn't have a concussion symptom?

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

I’d guess that’s not uncommon for players on rehab assignments at lower levels.

• Upvote 1

I do not know if there were extenuating circumstances or not.  Could be it's a quieter locker room without the rest of the guys, which would make sense in a concussion situation.  So, maybe I did rush to an unfair conclusion here.  At the time, I felt like it more of a "spring training look" when the starters all leave the field after they're done playing.....so yes, there could be other very reasonable explanations.

I'll stand corrected, and retract my conclusion.

• Upvote 2

Kjerstad played back to back today, and went 2-for-2 with a walk in three plate appearances.

I would give him a grace if he left immediately to catch the team plane to Boston.

The Ironbirds even pitched the De Leon-Forret tandem again to close out their year.     Twice in a week for those guys, Trace Bright pitched into the 7th, everybody's getting their end of year final exams/opportunities.

22 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Hi Sanity,

On rehab assigments MLB players don't typically intereact with coaches after the game.

He likely doesn't have any relationship with his teammates.

I lived in FL for a decade and have seen this before when MLB players are sent on assignment or ST games.

I understand the humble concept, but I'd rather have him believe he is a MLB player at this point in his career.  

No MLB enjoys being sent to the minors.  Maybe he wanted to get the clubhouse in Baltimore with his teammates-maybe he likes the food at the MLB level better than the food at A level.  Maybe he wanted to use the new hitting machine at CY.

I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Looking forward to getting Kjerstad back in the lineup so we don't have to see Eloy Jimenez ever again. 

Or is that wishful thinking?

Kjerstad is a lefty.  Eloy is a righty.  

Kjerstad returning would have implications for O'Hearn and possibly Santander.

For Eloy to go we need Mounty back most likely.