Orioles want Ackley?

Ackley is continuing to tear it up.

He went 3-5 tonight with 2 HRs, including the game winner in the 12th inning and 4 RBI. Those 2 give him 15 for the season.

Now sporting a line of .398/.506/.731/1.237 with 15 HR, 47 RBI and a 38/22 BB/K ratio.

This guy is my pick at #5 if he is there. No doubt about it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He went 3-5 tonight with 2 HRs, including the game winner in the 12th inning and 4 RBI. Those 2 give him 15 for the season.

Now sporting a line of .398/.506/.731/1.237 with 15 HR, 47 RBI and a 38/22 BB/K ratio.

I've finally come around, if Ackley is around at 1:5, we need to take him.

That being said, I doubt he is available when we pick.

I'd be quite happy with Strasburg, Ackley, Matzek or Scheppers. I wonder if they'll all be gone in the top 4. I'd actually be ok with Tate too, assuming we could sign him.

From a "stuff" standpoint, could anyone tell me how Alex White and Purke compare to a power arm like Crow?

What are his splits? Doesn't he not hit lefties well? Or am I way off base here?

I wouldn't mind adding a power arm to the rotation, and Scheppers seems to fill that bill. Would he be a stretch at 5?

I don't know if I'd call it a "stretch". I've seen people projecting him from 7-20, but that's without this month full of starts, he could find his way all the way up to no. 2 with a few good ones, or he could find himself going mid-first with a couple sub-par showings, scaring people into thinking his shoulder isn't 100%.

I'd be quite happy with Strasburg, Ackley, Matzek or Scheppers. I wonder if they'll all be gone in the top 4. I'd actually be ok with Tate too, assuming we could sign him.

From a "stuff" standpoint, could anyone tell me how Alex White and Purke compare to a power arm like Crow?

Well, it depends...naturally a highschooler with a big arm like Purke is going to have the highest ceiling because he has sooo much time to develop and gain more velocity which he may very well do since he is so thin. But since he is a HS pitcher and though he has the highest ceiling, he will also have the lowest floor. Crow is said to have the second best stuff of this draft, and in last years draft he had THE best raw stuff. White has pretty good stuff, but I do not think he compares to Crow when it comes to raw stuff. IMO they both would grade out to having a plus fastball. Both their fastballs have good movement but I believe Crow throws a tad bit harder and maintains his velo deep into games, but White has the good sink to his FB, for me its about even. For me Crow has a better slider with Whites being inconsistent. But the thing that sets Crow ahead of White is the change up. In last years draft I read reports that Crow had at the time a average change up which could end up being a plus pitch. And reports this year are saying that Crow came to his Independent League team in excellent shape, and also the report said that the whole last year he had been polishing his change up.... White lacks that third pitch. Also, Crow has the "it" factor, the same thing that Arrieta has that sets him appart from our other prospects. To me its a no brainer between these 2, if u would asked me the question before this college season I may be inclined to atleast call it a tie, but no to me Crow is superior. Between Purke and Crow its tough but I go Crow. The real tough one to me this draft would be if we have a choice between Crow and Scheppers. Those 2 are very similar to me.....

Ackley played his second consecutive game in CF so I'm thinking UNC is helping either him or the scouts out for his future draft status.

He went 2-4 blasting his 16th HR, a three run shot in the series finale loss against NC State.

Ackley played his second consecutive game in CF so I'm thinking UNC is helping either him or the scouts out for his future draft status.

He went 2-4 blasting his 16th HR, a three run shot in the series finale loss against NC State.

This is what I waited for all season. Good for him.

Yup, I had him slotted 2nd if he could play the OF with some consistency.

So if he could poorly play the outfield consistently, he would be 2nd?

;)

I'm just kidding . . . I know what you mean. I find it interesting how the term consistent means consistently good/good enough.

In a similar way, it is like the term water quality in my field. People will ask you to measure water quality and mean characteristics like dissolved oxygen, temperature, nitrogen levels, etc. What is meant is for you to measure water characteristics that then can be modeled to determine if those characteristics are associated with concentrations that correlate to systems with acceptable water quality (read: relatively unstressed organisms are present).

Yes, this part of me drives Stotle nuts when I look over his reports.

Archived