Holliday, Mayo or Basallo

Pick one  

104 members have voted

1. 1. If you could acquire a player you wanted and you had to trade one of the big 3 prospects, who do you choose?

The set of players I would trade any of them for is very small and doesn't include anyone who is currently on the market.  Maybe Skubal. 

I chose Basallo only because we don't need a young catcher as much as 29 other franchises do.  

I’ll admit it.  The ML 10 game audition sticks in my mind. 

1.  You can’t teach size

2. The leg kick bailing out thing still bothers me

3.  Mayo and Basallo look like middle order mashers

My biggest hesitation is that if Mayo is too error prone at 3B then we have a hole in the IF.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’ll admit it.  The ML 10 game audition sticks in my mind. 

1.  You can’t teach size

2. The leg kick bailing out thing still bothers me

3.  Mayo and Basallo look like middle order mashers

My biggest hesitation is that if Mayo is too error prone at 3B then we have a hole in the IF.

This is exactly how I feel.  

Posted (edited)

The whole premise of the question feels like a bad decision IMO.  The “controllable” starters who are current envy of the OH (Crochet, Skubal) have 2.5 yrs left before FA.  Is that enough to offset 6+ yrs of cheap top 10 tier prospect value?  Especially for a singular pitcher who all seem to break at some point (even if already broke and reassembled) or experience huge year to year volatility?

for a fun curiosity exercise, look at this years top15 fWAR pitchers and see how many were top15 fWAR in 2022 and 2023 as well. The list is basically Burnes, Webb, Wheeler.  The rest of the pitchers cycle on/off either by injury or less effectiveness. 

Edited by Say O!

2 minutes ago, Say O! said:

The whole premise of the question feels like a bad decision IMO.  The “controllable” starters who are current envy of the OH (Crochet, Skubal) have 2.5 yrs left before FA.  Is that enough to offset 6+ yrs of cheap top 10 tier prospect value?  Especially for a singular pitcher who all seem to break at some point (even if already broke and reassembled) or experience huge year to year volatility?

It’s just a question for discussion purposes. Most of us have said we aren’t willing to trade any of them..it’s just a hypothetical. 

BTW, no one said you had to trade the player for a pitcher.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Say O! said:

I wouldn't lump Crochet in with Skubal.  Also, we'd get Skubal for 3 postseasons.  I don't really care about the .5 season.  

In no way am I not over the moon for Holliday, but if you get a chance to get arguably the best pitcher in the AL for 3 seasons then you do it.  Also, he's a lefty in OPACY.  It's an auto-trade for me.  No hesitation.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

Mayo is a RH power hitter, and we need him going forward to balance the LH studs on our roster. 

Basallo looks to have huge power, and may be able to stick at catcher which could make him one of the most valuable players in the game. 

Holliday will likely be a really good hitter for average and OB%, but is the easiest (right now) to replace within the system. He's also the guy who gets you the most value coming back. 

I see Mayo as 99% untouchable. Basallo as 80% untouchable. Holliday 60%. Anybody can be had for the right return, but it better be a monster return. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Man, have attitudes changed about Holliday in 3 months. 

I posed the question of Holliday or Skenes in a thread several months ago. It was near unanimous that people would want Holliday. I was pretty lonely advocating for Skenes, but it was with the playoffs in mind that I did.