Trembley on Matusz,Tillman,Arietta and Erbe

QBsILLEST1

Thanks for posting this - it is very interesting. I am not surprised to hear that Trembley is very high on Arrieta - he has referenced Arrieta several times in discussions with the media. But it's interesting to hear he thinks Arrieta will be the best of the lot.

I'd be willing to bet a ton of money that Trembley is wrong on this one.

I hear u on this one, I can't wait to see how our pitcher from this year turns out to be also. In a few months we are going to have a "Big 4" . I would love to have Crow thrown in the mix and watch all 4 be in Baltimore around the same time in 10.

I'd be willing to bet a ton of money that Trembley is wrong on this one.

It would not surprise me no matter which one turned out to be best. If I had to lay odds:

Matusz - 40%

Tillman - 35%

Arrieta - 25%

It's more important to me that all three (or at least two of the three) turn out to be above average starters, than which one is the best.

BTW, Markakis said Matusz was the one who impressed him most.

I'm most excited about Matusz of the 3. Tillman seems closer to ready than some people imply here. And no one talks about it, but if Tillman comes up this year, he will probably be the youngest pitcher in the league! Color me excited!

It would not surprise me no matter which one turned out to be best. If I had to lay odds:

Matusz - 40%

Tillman - 35%

Arrieta - 25%

It's more important to me that all three (or at least two of the three) turn out to be above average starters, than which one is the best.

BTW, Markakis said Matusz was the one who impressed him most.

Agreed 100%. I just think that sometimes Trembley puts a little too much emphasis on perceived "intangibles" (note the paradox) - and, for instance, fails to take into account that, say, Tillman is a couple of years younger than Arrieta.

Let's note that, at 20, Arrieta's draft stock was plummeting in college, while Tillman was lighting up AA.

I hear u on this one, I can't wait to see how our pitcher from this year turns out to be also. In a few months we are going to have a "Big 4" . I would love to have Crow thrown in the mix and watch all 4 be in Baltimore around the same time in 10.

I'd like for them to select Crow too. He'd fit right in with that group and wouldn't be far behind them in terms of a call up. I see one year max in the minors for him.

Agreed 100%. I just think that sometimes Trembley puts a little too much emphasis on perceived "intangibles" (note the paradox) - and, for instance, fails to take into account that, say, Tillman is a couple of years younger than Arrieta.

Let's note that, at 20, Arrieta's draft stock was plummeting in college, while Tillman was lighting up AA.

Good point. I'm just glad that all three acquitted themselves so well this spring. None of them did anything to suggest they are overhyped. For good measure, we got good performances from Bergesen, Hernandez, Perez, Mickolio and McCrory. I'm very pleased that all these guys had positive experiences with the big club.

Good point. I'm just glad that all three acquitted themselves so well this spring. None of them did anything to suggest they are overhyped. For good measure, we got good performances from Bergesen, Hernandez, Perez, Mickolio and McCrory. I'm very pleased that all these guys had positive experiences with the big club.

It was awesome hearing about Arrieta, Tillman and Matusz come on strong and be just as advertised. It sure didn't take them long to get acclimated to the majors, thats for sure. I definately agree with you, it was important for our young pitchers to gain positive experience from ST. Now its time for them to go back down to the minors, keep winning and bring that winner's attitude with them to the team when they are called up.

God I hope not. Not another pitcher. I believe he's suppose to have really bad mechanics as well. We need position players with talent.

I remember you wanting Smoak really badly over Matusz right? I could go either way on this one, BUT. Honestly last year I think we should have went position player(because of the elite position player talent in last years draft) and pitcher this year(pitcher heavy draft up top). Knowing that AM philosophy is to draft a pitcher in the 1st round, and that a college pitcher is the safest bet, and knowing that AM knows the O's have no room for error, you can narrow our pick down to a few select people. I think we are going to take Crow, or White may fall to us. Maybe even Grant Green will fall all the way to round 2. I understand why people are getting scared that we have no position talent in the organization, but our surplus of pitching are what is going to make up our position talent, but that will only be when the time comes. IMO it does not matter whether we draft a pitcher or a position player, what matters is we draft the best talent/value available so that when it comes time to compete, we can trade off the redundancy and bring in what we need.

Archived