Elias speaks on deadline and prospects

Sports Guy

I just chuckle at Elias turn of phrases like “prepared to support our pursuits in that area.”  I mean who seriously talks like that aside from McKinsey consultants?

and while all comments on players taken with GM grain of salt, it does not sound like Elias will be trading any of the big3 prospects.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Say O! said:

I just chuckle at Elias turn of phrases like “prepared to support our pursuits in that area.”  I mean who seriously talks like that aside from McKinsey consultants?

and while all comments on players taken with GM grain of salt, it does not sound like Elias will be trading any of the big3 prospects.

Of course he’s not.  You don’t trade cost controlled elite players that you have for 6-7 years.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course he’s not.  You don’t trade cost controlled elite players that you have for 6-7 years.

I think the thought is you can't get quality players in trades without them, which is obviously false.

Edited by Malike

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think the thought is you can't get quality players in trades without them, which is obviously false.

Right…and teams aren’t going to not deal with us because those players aren’t available either.

However, trades will be “tough” to line up given there are more buyers than sellers.

That’s the takeaway. No major trades will happen because there is no agreement on price. Who’s being stubborn? No clue. But Mike hasn’t made a habit of paying any significant price. 
In @Greg Pappaspoll I was the only vote for “nothing significant,” and this quote sure seems to support that argument.

Lets see who bends…

12 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

However, trades will be “tough” to line up given there are more buyers than sellers.

That’s the takeaway. No major trades will happen because there is no agreement on price. Who’s being stubborn? No clue. But Mike hasn’t made a habit of paying any significant price. 
In @Greg Pappaspoll I was the only vote for “nothing significant,” and this quote sure seems to support that argument.

Lets see who bends…

That quote means nothing other than, there are a lot of buyers, not many sellers and it’s tough to be the winning team when you have so much competition.

That quote would come from every other GM in the sport.

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That quote means nothing other than, there are a lot of buyers, not many sellers and it’s tough to be the winning team when you have so much competition.

That quote would come from every other GM in the sport.

I disagree. Mike said he has people working the phones day and night. We have lots of desirable players. There are only 29 other teams and only a few with the players we need. The Price isn’t going down. So that means the same people are being contacted, and THAT means agreement isn’t happening, and every potential partner(whether Mike or the other guy) remains unmoved. We aren't making trades because the asking price is too high, and Mike won’t pay it. Every GM chooses his words as carefully, but this one is more negative, more defensive, and a bit more definite. His comment is a subtle admission that it’s not going to happen. If it were otherwise, he’d end with something positive like,”I’m sure something will happen in the coming days,” or “ It will be difficult but I’m confident we can acquire some productive assets,”  but his comment was defensive and negative.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I disagree. Mike said he has people working the phones day and night. We have lots of desirable players. There are only 29 other teams and only a few with the players we need. The Price isn’t going down. So that means the same people are being contacted, and THAT means agreement isn’t happening, and every potential partner(whether Mike or the other guy) remains unmoved. We aren't making trades because the asking price is too high, and Mike won’t pay it. Every GM chooses his words as carefully, but this one is more negative, more defensive, and a bit more definite. His comment is a subtle admission that it’s not going to happen. If it were otherwise, he’d end with something positive like,”I’m sure something will happen in the coming days,” or “ It will be difficult but I’m confident we can acquire some productive assets,”  but his comment was defensive and negative.

You are way overstating things but whatever..you will be proven wrong within the next 3 weeks.  Feel free to panic until then.

Elias is not a wheeler and dealer.  He is a guy like Chris Ballard from the Colts.  Great at building a solid foundation. 

But trying to finish a deal and win a championship?

He is not your guy.  Too risk adverse. 

Look at the Rangers last year if you need an example of what I am talking about. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are way overstating things but whatever..you will be proven wrong within the next 3 weeks.  Feel free to panic until then.

I am neither overstating anything nor panicking. Although I disagree with the inferred strategy, I understand his logic, and it’s defensible.

I’m just saying that based on his quote, and I’m saying this for the third time, he is preparing us for basically the same thing we got last year.
I would be happy to be wrong, but although GM’s are quite content to lie, Most would prefer a statement that is vague enough that it could go either way. With that in mind, this particular statement is fairly concrete.

He said, blah blah, blah blah blah “BUT it’s hard to match up.”So the last thought he leaves us with is that, despite his effort, it’s not working out and he’s not going to pay the high price.

He’s shown that he doesn’t like paying the high price, so he may not, and that’s what I think the comment means, that’s what I said, that’s a defensible position, and we will see what happens.

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

I am neither overstating anything nor panicking. Although I disagree with the inferred strategy, I understand his logic, and it’s defensible.

I’m just saying that based on his quote, and I’m saying this for the third time, he is preparing us for basically the same thing we got last year.
I would be happy to be wrong, but although GM’s are quite content to lie, Most would prefer a statement that is vague enough that it could go either way. With that in mind, this particular statement is fairly concrete.

He said, blah blah, blah blah blah “BUT it’s hard to match up.”So the last thought he leaves us with is that, despite his effort, it’s not working out and he’s not going to pay the high price.

He’s shown that he doesn’t like paying the high price, so he may not, and that’s what I think the comment means, that’s what I said, that’s a defensible position, and we will see what happens.

As a life long Colts fan....going back to Baltimore and now Indy.....trust me those are the exact same things that Chris Ballard, the Gm of the Colts, has said for years now.   "Hard to match up.   Need a partner.  Look....its tough man".

Nice solid foundation but division titles since he took over let alone a SB?  

Zip. 

Chris Polian before him was much more of a wheeler dealer and as a result the Colts were great pretty much every year.  He knew there were only so many years with Peyton Manning and he made the best of them.