I admit it--I gave up

18 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I'll admit I did too. I was already in a bleh mood, I had no intention of watching the Yankees fans at OPACY celebrate after the win in the bottom of the 9th. 

Me too. 

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He totally misjudged it.  I had a very good view from 13 rows behind 1B.  I’ve already seen that the xBA on that hit (which doesn’t take direction into account) was only .150 based on EV and launch angle.  I’m planning to check catch probability in the morning when Verdugo’s chart populates, but I’d say that’s a 99% catch.  

We were in the left field stands for all three games. My son had been chirping at Verdugo all series and takes full credit for Verdugo's error. 🙃

Totally catchable ball that he just misplayed. 

Of course the reason the losing streak was broken was because the Fat Lady sang the National Anthem on Sunday!

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, mall-O-cup said:

While I'm thrilled that they won, I do wonder what that catch would have looked like had he not initially come in. Happy for Mullins too. It seems that he has been hitting into a bit of bad luck lately.

Over the last few games I recall numerous balls nailed by Oriole hitters right at Yankee (and Cubs?) fielders. I guess we were due for some luck reversal there.

I mentioned in the game thread that the ending reminded me of the Andino walkoff on the last game of '11.

The LF misplayed that ball, too, trying to slide and catch it.  I thought he had it, but he got it on the bounce. Of course in today's case the LF misjudged it and slipped. 

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Heck... if Volpe makes a routine force out at second, Mullins doesn't even come to the plate. 

Agreed but we can play out some other what ifs. The strike 3 on Gunnar probably should have been ball 4. Holmes couldn’t throw strike. How do you give him that borderline pitch? That would have loaded the bases with only one out. Adley walked next. Then Mountcastle gets started out with a first pitch strike that wasn’t a strike. Mullins play at the plate was probably safe as it looked like he got his hand in before being tagged on the jersey. I can see why they didn’t challenge though. 

• Upvote 1

I watched the top of 9th when Ben Rice hit that HR for 3 runs on Roku streaming . I turned it off and went to Goodwill to drop off stuff . When I returned home, I checked my ESPN phone app and saw the final score in disbelief 🫢 

3 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

I exchanged texts with my Dad after the top of the 9th. "This is vintage Os in my time as a fan. Can't beat the Yankees or Sox in the big games."

"A gut punch." 

Then my 5 year old talked some sense into me. "Dad, you never know, we can win this game. We still have a chance."

Turns out 5 year old knew more than dad and Pop Pop. Turned off game after 3 run homer. There's a reason PHILLIES  let Kimbrel go after last season. They want to win a WS. Saw Kimbrel blow a few saves for them last year. Flipped on MLB to get the sad recap. GameDay had Mullins at bat with with sacks loaded. Then it said "ball in play, no out,  runs score, score 6-5 orioles. "  That said it all !!!  

2 hours ago, ledzepp8 said:

Agreed but we can play out some other what ifs. The strike 3 on Gunnar probably should have been ball 4. Holmes couldn’t throw strike. How do you give him that borderline pitch? That would have loaded the bases with only one out. Adley walked next. Then Mountcastle gets started out with a first pitch strike that wasn’t a strike. Mullins play at the plate was probably safe as it looked like he got his hand in before being tagged on the jersey. I can see why they didn’t challenge though. 

The stuff I missed while being in the cheap seats in LF. Great stuff!

As for the spirit of this thread, I’ll admit I was demoralized and thought we were done. I didn’t leave though (though I was with my brother/SiL). And lord, was it ALL worth it!

Me and my son went to Friday and Saturdays games and suffered through the heat and loses. We made the 5 hour drive back home just in time to watch the 9th inning on TV, needless to say when Kimbrell gave up the homer my son went to his room and I jumped into the shower. He told me we had the bases loaded so I did get to see one win this weekend.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OldNewGuy said:

Turns out 5 year old knew more than dad and Pop Pop. Turned off game after 3 run homer. There's a reason PHILLIES  let Kimbrel go after last season. They want to win a WS. Saw Kimbrel blow a few saves for them last year. Flipped on MLB to get the sad recap. GameDay had Mullins at bat with with sacks loaded. Then it said "ball in play, no out,  runs score, score 6-5 orioles. "  That said it all !!!  

Thank Lord Kimbrel is on one year deal 

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

He totally misjudged it.  I had a very good view from 13 rows behind 1B.  I’ve already seen that the xBA on that hit (which doesn’t take direction into account) was only .150 based on EV and launch angle.  I’m planning to check catch probability in the morning when Verdugo’s chart populates, but I’d say that’s a 99% catch.  

Yep, 99% catch probability.   It wasn't even considered a 1-star catch.   He had 4.4 seconds to cover 44 feet.

For anyone who would enjoy re-living the moment, here it is again:

Baseball Savant Videos | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com)

• Upvote 2

Apart from the math, it was Cedric Mullins batting a ball that dotted the low outside corner of the strike zone the other way in Walltimore.

The launch angle was probably as much fly ball as line drive.

Pretty much any MLB left handed bat outside Shohei Ohtani, when they elevate outside pitches the other way at Camden Yards, I think not much good for the offense is happening.