2024 Prospect Promotion Incentive (#32): Griff O'Ferrall - SS - (Jr) Virginia (VA)

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Steven Kwan at SS

Kwan had a .920 OPS his junior year at OSU. He walked 50 times and struck out 18. I’ve seen Griff play a few times and I don’t see it, but I hope to be wrong!

12 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

The biggest think people forget in mlb draft is money is one of the biggest factors that is not issue in other draft.  That is why you see guys picked earlier then expected then other guys fall.  William Schmidt is highest upside hs pitcher but must have a big number attached to him since no one has pulled trigger on him.   When you don’t have lot of draft capital you have to be creative and save money at certain spots.  

It was said on the MLB Network broadcast that Schmidt had announced he was going to enroll at LSU.

• Upvote 1

Hit .396 as a sophomore and hit .463 in 10 games with Team USA.   Tried to tap into more power this year and his overall stats suffered.   Not a sexy pick like Honeycutt but hopefully he hits.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hit .396 as a sophomore and hit .463 in 10 games with Team USA.   Tried to tap into more power this year and his overall stats suffered.   Not a sexy pick like Honeycutt but hopefully he hits.  

Yeah, this team has too many "swing for the fence" hitters.  Maybe it's time to get some contact hitters that get on base for the big bats.

2 minutes ago, 86this said:

Yeah, this team has too many "swing for the fence" hitters.  Maybe it's time to get some contact hitters that get on base for the big bats.

I don’t mind that thought…but where does he play?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t mind that thought…but where does he play?

You're right.  Utility IF unless he outplays someone else.  Would probably be better than Urias right now.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You don't ever want to pay first round picks slot right?

He doesn’t want to pay anyone slot.  “What are they gonna do.  Go back to school and lose all their leverage next year?”

It’s SG hardball negotiations to create goodwill with amateurs.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You don't ever want to pay first round picks slot right?

Not ever but I think most of the time, you don’t need to.  These guys aren’t going to go back to school over 300-600k especially if they are guys that a lot of question marks that could be exposed with another year in college.

Yes, you will see guys go back like Fabian did but I just don’t see most of these guys going back in the draft..especially this year when the draft is down.

That means they likely go lower next year unless this guy founds more power or Honeycutt cuts down on his swing and miss.

Trying to like this but I'm struggling, especially with a huge need for pitching in the org.  I didn't like the Westburg pick so here's hoping Elias found another good one.  The bat-to-ball skill could be good on a team that hacks at everything. 

Clearly, this is a signal that Mike is trading Holliday.  ;) 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yep.   Factoring in the reverse splits, and the fact that Hyde seems to like to give Anthony a day off from the outfield in each series, and we are in a stretch where we aren't seeing any lefties, he found a spot to give one of his bench guys a start.
    • Elias overestimated Mayo’s value. A guy who strikes out a lot and has no defense is not a valuable prospect, even if he’s strong as a bear and can hit balls to the moon. I wish had been traded at peak value, and yes, I would be happy to trade Holliday, too, but his value has gone down as well
    • I think it's because Pivetta has reverse splits this year. Now, do you value his career numbers or this year...I'm not sure. But maybe SIGBOT cares about this year more maybe because of pitch mix/effectiveness can vary year to year. Who knows. Against righties: .279/.311/.514 - .825 OPS Lefties: .187/.251/.365 - .616 OPS  
    • So he has the same first 6 hitters and plays Rivera over Mayo who has hit better and is a much better defender along with playing Slater in the outfield which gives us better defense over Santander and takes McCann a light hitting catcher out of the game.  So he made an upgrade at 3rd base with how both guys are playing and flipped Slater for McCann and thus makes it an awful lineup.  It makes me laugh how much people get upset about nothing.  
    • Coulombe doesn't have righty/lefty splits. It's why he is so damn good.  Akin doesn't have righty/lefty splits this year, and he didn't last year but he was awful/hurt. He definitely did in 2022. But he stinks with runners on and in high leverage situations. Soto is super inconsistent and when he blows up he's awful. Last year he stunk against righties, but was excellent against lefties. I reckon they want him to get back to that. To me, the pecking order would be this: Coulombe and Perez for high leverage situations Akin only in for fresh innings and to give 1-2 IP. Soto I just don't trust. He had a nice stretch there for a minute, but in the end...he was pitching in mostly low leverage situations. 
    • Last night's lineup was Hyde first decent lineup in a long time, but tonight's lineup is another abysmal one from him. If Elias was going to make a dumpster dive trade for Austin Slater, I can somewhat see the logic behind strictly using Slater as a platoon player. But I definitely don't understand giving him more starts against righties. What both Elias and Hyde are saying by giving Slater opportunities is, "We don't care about stats or splits, we have a good feeling about this guy." That's it, and that's terrible roster management.  Slater has extreme favorable career splits against lefties, and the Elias apologists on this board pointed to Slater being a good platoon matchup hitter against lefties, saying he makes some sense if you believe his struggles against lefties this season would normalize closer to his career line. Yet Slater is still actually hitting better against righties this season. Ultimately, in the end, Slater is a .600 OPS hitter overall this season. Which makes him unplayable to any competent manager or GM. There was a reason Slater was available at the trade deadline for cash considerations. And it's because he sucks. Emmanuel Rivera, meanwhile, has a .597 OPS this season. Sorry, not even a gold glove 3B is worth rostering with that kind of bat. Yet Hyde continues to give Rivera at bats over a top 10 prospect who should be getting as many starts as possible to get comfortable. Unbelievable.  Slater and Rivera could each hit a home run tonight, and that still wouldn't change how terrible they are or that it's bad lineup optimization to start both of these bums. 
    • Right. Let's just be honest and say that he did a great job building the farm system through the Houston "tank" philosophy, but now must prove he can be good at building the MLB product. But yes, this trade looks dreadful at the moment. 
  • Popular Contributors