Perfect Example Of Tejada Losing a Game!

Eli Eon

I wonder if this thread will wind up being like the salary cap idea...

"Owners spend crazy money... then the owners demand that the players grant them a salary cap to stop the owners from spending crazy money."

which is sorta like:

"People think a thread is frustrating, circular and redundant... but they keep posting to it anyway... and then eventually demand that a mod close the thread to stop them from posting even more."

;-)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give me three other examples this year of inopportune Tejada errors that cost us games.

I'll match you one for one. You name the opposing SS who cost a game aginst the O's and I'll name the game where Tejada's D cost them the game.

I'll go first. Ball hit early in the season down the LF line late in the game that the SS always makes(similar to Uribe's error yesterday). He doesn't make the play the ball falls in. Inning extended. Runs score. We lose.

Your turn.

You don't need sabermetrics to prove this point! This is pathetic! The guy says some of the most inane bullhocky a body can muster up about the best player on our team... and notice that he hasn't brought up a single new point throughout the entire thread, but has simply repeated the same miggysucks mantra over and over. This frustration causes the sane populace of the OH to dig deeper and deeper into their enormous basin of baseball knowledge, to absolutely no consequence, cause this one guy just keeps saying the same redundant bull over and over. The man shelters himself from the discussion, hands on ears, repeatedly screaming his three or four lines of defense but safe from the harmful ways of common sense, as everyone around him gets a little bit madder and madder by taking him seriously.

I find this thread to be an incredible study of the human psyche.

Allow me to join in!

Eli, Miggy contributed five runs to today's losing box score, with a bit of help from his teammates. Can we agree on that? Now, I'm not going to agree that he also took away five runs(with a whole lot of help from his teammates), but for the sake of argument and logic be damned, let's just say that that's the case. Now, in case you haven't realized, 5 and 5 are very similar numbers. In fact, they're the same number! We can verify this by opening Microsoft Calculator and subtracting 5 from 5. I won't get into arithmetic involved, but the result we get is 0. So by your math, Miggy contributed a total of 0 runs to the game. He essentially had a neutral effect. The same effect, virtually, as going 0-4 with no walks, runs, or RBI.

On August 3rd, 2007, Barry Bonds went 0-4 with no runs or RBI. On July 15th, he went 0-5. Holy moly! That's five outs, all coming from the same guy! Outs are a very valuable thing in baseball, perhaps the most valuable thing... so presumably, this Barry Bonds fellow must be a very, very bad baseball player to have these nasty games where he contributes absolutely nothing. Right?

Wrong.

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret... Barry Bonds is actually a very good baseball player. He's even the all-time leader in home runs! Who woulda thunk it, am I right? ;)

Ivan Rodriguez went 0-4 today! Wowee Zowee. He must be really terrible, right? Nope, he's a hall of famer! Jippers! Carlos Pena went 0-5 with FOUR strikeouts! The Devil Rays probably released him right there, right? Wrong-o! He's actually quite good!

Is my point proven yet?

I've told you a thousand times, Eli is the KING of ridiculously small sample sizes. And we can't forget that one game in the playoffs where Miggy made an Error for the As. They would have been better off moving Chavez to Short and putting Miguel at Catcher.

Also, where is the "why does Cabrera refuse to field his position" thread? There were some situations tonight that he could have diffused if he were even an adequate defensive player. I realize he is tall, but I think he could do more than watch balls slowly bounce up the middle. Well, he did kick one, but that did not really work out that well either.

It has been a problem, and to me at least, it was a glaring one tonight.

Sorry for the rant, just frustrated. As I am sure a lot of us are.

I'm indifferent on the Tejada at SS issue, but if we had Fahey or Hernandez as our starting SS I'd probably drive down to Baltimore and attempt to burn down the Warehouse. Tejada can make 30 errors a game and still be more welcome at SS than those two.

I logged on JUST to see what type of response Tejada's game garnered. Responses like this are a joke. They obviously can not be taken as serious- because anyone who thinks this has bigger problems than the Orioles.

As far as Tejada at shortstop, it's sad. I was completely dumbfounded, surprised, AND ecstatic when he hit the grand slam. I thought to myself, "Good for Tejada!" I want to see him do well, especially in the clutch! That is the Tejada I have wanted to see the past 2 years. I was all ready to get on here and give him major props for coming through when I completely expected him to chase a first pitch and groundout.

Of course, we saw when then happened. Not only did he make the error on the should be double play, but the ground ball that allowed them to tie the game the very next inning I though should have been played as well. He was drawn in yes, but the play could have been made. That play alone wouldn't garner any comment from me- because it wasn't an easy one- but the double play ball- it was like a bad movie...

I honestly don't know what it is about him. He just has a way of handcuffing this team- and by that I mean more than his offensive and defensive production. Mistakes happen- I'm not going to gang up on him for that. I just really think that something- be it the pressure he puts on himself, the pressure the team puts on him, the fans, the little voice on his right shoulder???? :) ... I just think the team will be better off when we are able to trade him and start fresh. He may very well go on and have some productive years with a team loaded with offensive talent- that can not only hide his defensive instability at times- but his lack of power at the plate- and clutch situational hitting (tonight notwithstanding). Maybe with a team that puts less pressure on him to be the man- he will do well again. I just know that it doesn't feel right with him on this team anymore.

I say this knowing full well how much he cares about winning and how hard he was on himself tonight for the error. So while I don't really agree that THIS was THE example of why Tejada should not play SS here (this was literally a 1 in 100 mistake, if that)- but it does just illustrate why he needs to leave. I would happily put Tejada at SS the rest of the season, and I doubt he'll ever make another error that attrocious all year- it just shows that no matter what he does, for whatever reason- baltimore is not the place for him.

I mean, to have 5 rbis, and to allow 5 runs to be scored because of your error- IN THE SAME GAME- how does that happen???? It's crazy man...

I'll match you one for one. You name the opposing SS who cost a game aginst the O's and I'll name the game where Tejada's D cost them the game.

I'll go first. Ball hit early in the season down the LF line late in the game that the SS always makes(similar to Uribe's error yesterday). He doesn't make the play the ball falls in. Inning extended. Runs score. We lose.

Your turn.

Oh this is so stupid. Now I'm supposed to find specific games that an opposing SS made an error in that gave the Orioles a win?

C'mon everyone, make Eli post more so his free 500 run out...

Best...idea....ever....

Hey Eli, do you think the Orioles would be better or worse off if we traded Tejada for three players who are equal to Hernandez?

We've traded like 4 Second basemen to the Cubs in the last decade, Im sure theres a club that has a mess of middle infielders stocked up.

We could put Fahey at second, Hernandez at Short, Roberts at Catcher and random AAAA infielders at LF and First.

This works because once Fahey went a whole game without making an error in Left field, and his ability to play the corner outfield spots AND the middle infield makes his value far greater than that of lowly Miguel Tejada.

Archived