2024 3rd Round Pick (#97): Austin Overn - OF - (So) USC (CA)

Just now, Big Mac said:

He did hit really well in the Cape this summer too.  .314/.412/.535 in 102 PAs.

Yep..that helps especially since it’s wooden bats.

Great athlete..like a lot about the profile. It’s just..another college OFer?  Is this what we are going to constantly draft in later rounds all the time?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep..that helps especially since it’s wooden bats.

Great athlete..like a lot about the profile. It’s just..another college OFer?  Is this what we are going to constantly draft in later rounds all the time?

I find that frustrating too, hopefully we do something else with most of the rest of the Day 2 picks. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• These are very legit points.  I don’t care too much about his age.  He had a circuitous path through college before the O’s drafted him at 23.  I’d be more worried about his age if he’d been in our system for 3 years and was only at Aberdeen.  The walk rate is a bigger issue for me. The O’s are drafting a lot of pitchers who didn’t go to prestige college programs or who put up mediocre numbers at prestige college programs.   They seem to think they can unearth some diamonds in the rough there and coach ‘em up.   They haven’t really had any demonstrated successes yet (I.e., pitches who’ve reached the majors or are on the cusp), but I’d say Fruit’s class was really the first one where a fair number of pitchers got pitcked before rounds 11-20, so I’m interested to see how that group fares.  At least Fruit has put himself squarely in line for a promotion and we’ll see if he can make further progress in AA. He’s come a pretty long way in a year and seems to respond well to coaching, so hopefully there’s room for more improvement.    
    • Cowser is really strong.  That triple he hit last night looked like it would be a fly out to left.  He basically one handed it and it kept carrying.  I think the double also surprised the outfielder with how hard it was hit and it got over his head really quick.  He also doesn't have too many cheap homeruns.  When he hits them, he and we know it.  
    • More success vs a lefty last night. Good to see the improvements he is making in the areas where his stats showed he was struggling earlier in the season. He keeps hitting the ball hard.
    • Runs per game for this year's club, by month: March/April - 5.41 May - 4.53 June - 5.62 July - 4.60 August - 4.70 So yes, we're down a bit in August from the earlier output of April and June, but better than a couple other months. And for the "feast or famine" aspect, in wins this year we are averaging 6.49 runs per game, 3 runs per game in losses. And those numbers are better than last year's club (which was 6.30 RPG in wins, 2.78 RPG in losses).  So if we score 2 to 3 runs, we likely lose, which I think comes as a shock to nobody.
    • This makes no sense. Because there's a lot of attrition, he shouldn't have more of them to choose from?  This is the EXACT reason why Elias should draft more pitching higher. He needs to have more arms ready to help in the farm, not relying on waiver wire fodder. I'm not saying he could have foreseen THIS many pitchers going down, but still, there's not a lot of legitimate help in the minors ready to help and that's go a lot to do with his drafting philosophy.  As for Eflin, I'm encouraged that Hyde seems to think it's not that serious. Let's hope so. Obviously losing Eflin for any length of time or the playoffs would be a huge blow to this team's chances. Just a real tough year for injuries.
    • Here is what needs to happen for Red Sox to knock us out of the playoffs:  (1) Boston sweeps Os in Fenway Sep 9, 10, 11 (2) Os go 13-19 (.406) in other remaining 32 games against teams other than Red Sox (3) Red Sox go 19-14 (.576) in other remaining 33 games against teams other than Os   Red Sox would finish with 88 wins and Os would finish with 87 wins (note that Os have season series tiebreaker so would advance in event of a tie). I could see maybe 2 of the three outcomes happening but very unlikely for all 3 to occur.  The most unlikely would be (2) which requires us to have a win percentage worse than the Angels for the rest of our games against non-Boston teams.
  • Popular Contributors