2024 13th Round Pick (#399): Brandon Downer - RHP - (Jr) California Baptist University (CA)

Players can be signed for up to $150,000 without it affecting an organization's overall bonus pool.  For any bonus above that mark, the overage beyond $150,000 counts toward the pool.

Was a part of the pitching staff that earned 16 Ks in a single game, breaking the CBU Division 1 Era single-game strikeout record.

Made 23 appearances and two starts from the mound.

40 Ks in 41.2 innings.

Ranked #6 as a Top WAC Prospect for the 2024 draft.

Named to the WAC All-Academic Team

Downer is dealing as he takes down the Sooners in order at the bottom of the seventh. ??#LanceUp?? pic.twitter.com/lki3X2jjhH

— California Baptist Baseball (@CBUbaseball) February 18, 2023

Made 15 appearances and 10 starts on the mound as a true freshman... Logged a 5-2 record, 5.05 ERA and 1.49 WHIP... Struck out 50 batters of 57 innings... Threw a season-high 7.1 innings with nine strikeouts at NM State on March 26... Named WAC Pitcher of the Week on March 28... Qualified for WAC All-Academic Team.  

Congratulations to Brandon Downer on being named the@WACsports Pitcher of the Week after he logged season-highs in innings pitched (7.1) and strikeouts (9) in his start at NM State. #LanceUp?? pic.twitter.com/mA48kJrkfv

— California Baptist Baseball (@CBUbaseball) March 28, 2022

True freshman Brandon Downer puts together a career start, setting season-highs in innings pitched (7.1) and strikeouts (9).

He took a no-hitter into the fifth inning and retired the Aggies in order in the first, second, fourth and sixth innings. #LanceUp?? pic.twitter.com/MlBqh9975Z

— California Baptist Baseball (@CBUbaseball) March 27, 2022

HIGH SCHOOL
Prepped at Santiago High in Corona, Calif., where he graduated in 2021... Played varsity three seasons... Served as team captain twice... Earned All-Big VIII League First Team honors as a senior... Ranks second in Sharks' single-season history with 74 strikeouts and 1.60 ERA... Played club with SoCal Birds.

PERSONAL
Son of Jim and Staci Downer... Has two siblings, Ashley and Lindsey... Kinesiology major... Plans to play professional baseball after graduation... Enjoys video games and basketball... Philippians 4:13 is his favorite Bible verse.

https://cbulancers.com/sports/baseball/roster/brandon-downer/9917

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I’m just glad he’s turned his season around.  He was pretty brutal in April and May.  
    • Eloy needs to be released and Mayo needs to be called back up to DH, preferably every day. The fact Elias sent Rogers to the minors - a move which was a susprising admission of guilt by Elias for the terrible trade he made - gives me hope that Elias will do the right thing with Eloy as well. Eloy is an even more obviously terrible player than Rogers was, the only difference is that Eloy had a short sample size lucky streak his first week with the O's. Ryan O'Hearn, meanwhile, hasn't hit a home run in over a month, and this is the second straight year that he's declined considerably in the second half. It's a good time to move on from O'Hearn as well and plant him on the bench as depth.  One of Elias's major faults as a GM - and this season has shown that he has quite a few - is that he consistently blocks his own elite prospects with veterans to the detriment of the prospects and the major league team's ceiling. Frazier, Mateo, and Urias blocked Westburg and Ortiz last season, and Mateo blocked Norby this season. Meanwhile, O'Hearn has blocked Kjerstad, Norby, and Mayo this season at the DH spot. That's unacceptable player development and roster management, and the opportunity cost of playing mediocre players like Odor, Frazier, Mateo, Urias, and Hicks is something that has hurt the Orioles in 2023 and 2024 in ways that most people don't yet realize. O'Hearn is a better player than any of the aformentioned waiver wire fodder, but ultimately bringing him back and having him take up all the DH at bats against right-handed SPs was the incorrect decision. DH would have been better used giving at bats to Norby (who should have made the team Opening Day), Kjerstad, and Mayo. The tradeoff of an .800 OPS (at best) platoon guy with a good approach at the plate instead of prospects with higher ceilings (affording those prospects playing time that would have acclimated them better for the postseason in 2024 as well as 2025 and beyond) wasn't worth it. 
    • He's finishing the year strong. When he's commanding the baseball he's able to get outs. but I'd like to see what he looks like against AAA hitters. Plus I want to see his statcast info.  I don't like him as much as some evaluators because I never saw an outpitch, but I will watch him again to see what's changed.
    • He's not going anywhere. We need infielders and especially those who can play SS. I think the Os will gladly pay $3 million to stash Mateo on the 60-day IL. I don't think there's any question that we will need him at some point next year.
    • Please remember, any updates on draftees now playing/pitching in the minors should be put in the minors forum, not his draft profile. Thanks.
    • Certainly I hope a year from now EBJ can challenge playing at a level similar to an okay Cedric Mullins nearing free agency, the same as Cowser overtook Hays, and Coby Mayo is getting oh so close to overtaking Emmanuel Rivera or Ramon Urias.
    • There’s a good chance EBJ makes the ML roster in 2025 if he continues to hit. Obviously that’s a big if but if that happens, he will be up. The Os may take the calculated risk if they feel the pinch runner is that important late in the playoffs, which it can be.
  • Popular Contributors