Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

On 7/19/2024 at 6:51 AM, RarityFlaherty said:

So you can headline with Basallo and add Norby, Baumeister, and Arias. That seems pretty reasonable and doesn’t really hurt us that much besides Basallo. And I doubt other teams would beat that. They aren’t going to take the 40th and 65th overall guys over Basallo and Norby.

While I really like the idea of Basallo coming up and being a backup C/1B, splitting time between Adley and either Mountcastle or Mayo at first, I think we need to pull the trigger on a deal for the best pitcher we can get.  And if this gets us Skubal, I’m in. At the deadline, I think you need to factor in the volatility of pitchers and just get whoever is performing the best now, so Skubal would be at the top of my list. And we traded for Blake Hunt and just drafted a bunch of catchers, so if one of those guys pans out to be a decent backup, it doesn’t really hurt us that much if we extend Adley. If they have no intention of extending Adley, then maybe Basallo is off limits, but I think this package is definitely worth it for one of the best pitchers in baseball this year. 

If I had to guess on a Skubal trade I would think Basallo, Norby, Stowers, McDermott, and possibly a lower level throw in with upside. It seems like these teams always want a decent pitching prospect back in the deal when trading pitching. Stowers really has nowhere to go based on what positions will be open through 2025. I think dealing for Skubal is risky given his past, but #1/#2 starters with another two years on their deal do not grow on trees. The Orioles will also need two more quality starters heading into 2025 and Skubal gives them one.

9 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

If I had to guess on a Skubal trade I would think Basallo, Norby, Stowers, McDermott, and possibly a lower level throw in with upside. It seems like these teams always want a decent pitching prospect back in the deal when trading pitching. Stowers really has nowhere to go based on what positions will be open through 2025. I think dealing for Skubal is risky given his past, but #1/#2 starters with another two years on their deal do not grow on trees. The Orioles will also need two more quality starters heading into 2025 and Skubal gives them one.

I don’t think that’s enough for DET.

1) McDermott probably holds little interest for them given how many better young pitchers they already possess and how bad their offensive talent is.

2) I’m not sure that Stowers is anything more than a throw in at this point to any team. He will be 27 next. Well beyond any prospect status.

3) They are probably going to insist on Holliday or Mayo as the centerpiece in any deal for Skubal. Skubal is a Cy Young level pitcher now.

4) I don’t think that their fanbase would be happy at all with such a return. 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

1) McDermott probably holds little interest for them given how many better young pitchers they already possess and how bad their offensive talent is.

2) I’m not sure that Stowers is anything more than a throw in at this point to any team. He will be 27 next. Well beyond any prospect status.

3) They are probably going to insist on Holliday or Mayo as the centerpiece in any deal for Skubal. Skubal is a Cy Young level pitcher now.

Mayo, Norby, Bradfield, Baumeister.    That’s probably further than I see Elias going so if this isn’t enough, Sayonara!

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mayo, Norby, Bradfield, Baumeister.    That’s probably further than I see Elias going so if this isn’t enough, Sayonara!

That may be closer to the equitable ballpark.

Even though I like Holliday better as a prospect, I would prefer to keep Mayo due to the right handed power… Yes I have changed my perspective through the course of the season…lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

That may be closer to the equitable ballpark.

Even though I like Holliday better as a prospect, I would prefer to keep Mayo due to the right handed power… Yes I have changed my perspective through the course of the season…lol

Yeah, I think Holliday is going to figure things out and be the superior overall player.   I also think he balances the offense better in terms of getting on base.  Add in that he brings speed and more defensive value and I think they do everything they can to hold onto him.

On 7/16/2024 at 4:22 PM, Greg Pappas said:

We've discussed this topic often throughout the past month or so, with varying opinions on what the cost could be.  @Sports Guy had a yes/no poll where Kjerstad, Mounty, Bradfield, and McDermott went for Skubal, and that was fairly split.  But I wanted this to be a bit different. 

I'd like to know what your best offer would be... meaning the absolute maximum you'd agree to.  It would be the sort of offer that really hurts but could entice the Tigers to pull the trigger. 

Thanks in advance.

My best offer would be Stowers , Norby , Mounty and Mcdermott

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

Then you don't even pick up the phone and make the call.

You can't get a guy like that and have it not hurt.

Whatever random scraps you won't miss will not get it done.

Surprised Mateo wasn't included in the deal.

49 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Skubal is enjoying a season worthy of CY consideration at the All-Star Break. I don’t think I’m ready to declare him CY level yet and I’m the one on this forum suggesting that Jackson Holliday is who I would move for him.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can't get a guy like that and have it not hurt.

Whatever random scraps you won't miss will not get it done.

Surprised Mateo wasn't included in the deal.

I still don't believe the Tigers are trading him. They are playing well right now and for some reason everyone here thinks they need a full rebuild. They can trade Flaherty for a bat and grab 2 in the offseason and they will be pretty good next year. They are looked at like the White Sox on here, no talent at all.

Just now, Malike said:

I still don't believe the Tigers are trading him. They are playing well right now and for some reason everyone here thinks they need a full rebuild. They can trade Flaherty for a bat and grab 2 in the offseason and they will be pretty good next year. They are looked at like the White Sox on here, no talent at all.

As much as I felt JF was a reasonable move for them last year, there is a lot of smoke around him not meshing well in the clubhouse. I know you aren’t suggesting the O’s revisit Flaherty but I sure hope that isn’t something that comes to pass. 

23 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Skubal is enjoying a season worthy of CY consideration at the All-Star Break. I don’t think I’m ready to declare him CY level yet and I’m the one on this forum suggesting that Jackson Holliday is who I would move for him.

No he hasn’t done it for a full calendar year as of yet. But it can be credibly argued that his 2nd half last year combined with his first half this year he has been the best pitcher in the game.

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

The Tigers and White Sox being on such different timelines it has occurred to me Elias could choreograph the mother of all mic drop moments by winning the bidding for Skubal with Cowser and Kjerstad, and Crochet with all the 2027 on guys.

That's the moment he creates an account here on the board, goes "how you like my Bats Arms mix now?", and writes Kyle Stowers into the everyday lineup.