Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

It's always wait until next year

meanwhile the value of our blocked prospects declines, as well as our reasonable cost veterans (Mullin, Mountcastle, Urias, etc).

Our prospects are only blocked by roster count, not the performance of the players they would be replacing. I think the article stating that the Orioles would consider dealing Mullins and Mountcastle might be news shouted at the Marlins. The Marlins have the relievers that interest us and we have Cowser and Mayo to replace Mountcastle.

150 hours out one fact I hope Mike Elias knows absolutely is this.

Scott Harris might know this afternoon he is keeping his Tarik Skubal because Skubal and Jobe are going to dominate the 2025-2026 AL playoffs.

Chris Getz's Garrett Crochet market spikes if there is no Skubal caliber alternative for the clubs seeking a top of rotation option.

Scott Harris is in competition with Chris Getz in the AL Central.    He doesn't want Getz to have Holliday plus for the rest of the decade.

Is Skubal truly available?    At bottom Elias' job right now is to know the availability and acquisition cost of any of the world's best pitchers.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Our prospects are only blocked by roster count, not the performance of the players they would be replacing. I think the article stating that the Orioles would consider dealing Mullins and Mountcastle might be news shouted at the Marlins. The Marlins have the relievers that interest us and we have Cowser and Mayo to replace Mountcastle.

The Marlins have no interest in Ryan Mountcastle, Cedric Mullins, etc.   They’re trying to trade their version of those guys in Jazz Chisholm.   This is what they want more of.

TRADE DETAILS
Padres receive: Luis Arraez, cash
Marlins receive: RHP Woo-Suk Go, OF Dillon Head, OF Jakob Marsee, 1B/OF Nathan Martorella

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Bowden’s latest Q&A for The Athletic:

I’d love for the Orioles to acquire Tarik Skubal, even if it means dealing Coby Mayo or Samuel Basallo with other talent. But is it realistic to expect the Tigers to trade a young ace like Skubal? — Eric L.

I think if the Orioles offered a package that included Heston Kjerstad or Colton Cowser, Mayo and Cade Povich, it would be hard for the Tigers to turn down based on where they are in their rebuilding process. (If I’m the Orioles, I’m not trading my top two prospects, Jackson Holliday or Basallo, in that package.) It would be a steep price to pay for Baltimore, but worth it to be able to have a postseason rotation of Corbin Burnes, Skubal and Grayson Rodriguez.

I can’t see Elias dealing Kjerstad or Cowser and prospects that start with Mayo or Basallo. I still they they have a shot of getting one of those four and a few other guys.

I want to get my 2 cents in before it's too late. All this talk and suggestions of trading Basallo, Mayo, Kjersted, or Holliday for Skubal makes me thing those people are out of their dang minds.

We traded less hyped/ranked (although proving to be successful) prospects to get a far superior pitcher in Corbin Burnes. There is absolutely no reason to give up the farm for a Pitcher who happens to be the most recent flavor of the month for fans of trade rumors like they did for Dylan Cease.

There comes a point when the price becomes too much, and you've got to know where that line is and stick to it. Skuball is a career 3.5 ERA pitcher. He might be having a great season, but he's a #3 in our rotation and we are should not act desperate.

44 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I want to get my 2 cents in before it's too late. All this talk and suggestions of trading Basallo, Mayo, Kjersted, or Holliday for Skubal makes me thing those people are out of their dang minds.

We traded less hyped/ranked (although proving to be successful) prospects to get a far superior pitcher in Corbin Burnes. There is absolutely no reason to give up the farm for a Pitcher who happens to be the most recent flavor of the month for fans of trade rumors like they did for Dylan Cease.

There comes a point when the price becomes too much, and you've got to know where that line is and stick to it. Skuball is a career 3.5 ERA pitcher. He might be having a great season, but he's a #3 in our rotation and we are should not act desperate.

We only have Burnes until the end of the season who by the way is a career 3.13 ERA pitcher.

Skuball is under control until the end of 2026 and has pitched just as well as Burnes this season -- had a 2.80 ERA last season -- and has pitched much better than Grayson Rodriguez this season.

You may be right we should not trade for Skubal but no way Grayson is better than him.

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Yet, this is the time of the year where some GM’s get desperate, especially AJ Preller and make terrible decisions as they look to do anything to keep their hopes alive of winning the World Series.

Skubal happens to be the “shiniest object” for sale but just like the last “must want” toy available in inventory  on Christmas Eve, the price will always be very high. Someone may do anything to get their prize but a smarter shopper may say hey I’ll be able to get Bassitt and Snell for cheaper than one Skubal.

We shall see what happens soon enough.

6 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Yet, this is the time of the year where some GM’s get desperate, especially AJ Preller and make terrible decisions as they look to do anything to keep their hopes alive of winning the World Series.

Skubal happens to be the “shiniest object” for sale but just like the last “must want” toy available in inventory  on Christmas Eve, the price will always be very high. Someone may do anything to get their prize but a smarter shopper may say hey I’ll be able to get Bassitt and Snell for cheaper than one Skubal.

I feel like a kid 2 days before Christmas.  Please Elias don't get me dress shoes and a tie!  I want a pony!

12 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Curious about something… How much of Tarik Skubal have you watched?

You call him “flavor of the month” and “due for regression”. But how many pitchers have profile/stuff arsenal like him that you can think of?

He’s a lefty throwing power stuff at 98 with a great change up. He has other good secondaries but doesn’t need to use them much because of how good the fastball/changeup combo are from the left side.

You say you would take Seattle’s pitchers over him. I ask which one is actually better? No better yet, can you name 5 SPs in all of MLB better than Tarik Skubal?

21 hours ago, SouthRider said:

I would rather have 6 years of Holliday/Mayo and  5 years of Kjerstad/Cowser/Povich than 2.5 years of Skubal.   Like Burnes, Skubal is a Boras client.  We have enough of Boras' clients we won't be able to pay.  

I get that Skubal makes us close favorites for the remainder of this season.  What if they still lay an egg like the favored Ravens did last season?  They already lost one all-star level talent in Ortiz.  I get the risk/reward on the Burnes trade at the time. 

Trade for a Flaherty type for this season and deal with pitching woes in the offseason. 

In other words, you'd rather have a better chance of being good over the next 5 years vs great over the next 3 years.

Skubel makes the team better this year and the next 2 at the very least. Without Skubel and assuming someone outbids the Orioles for Burnes, the Orioles rotation next year is what, Grayson Rodriguez, Kremer and who??? 

Skubel is the kind if guy that the Orioles should be targeting. It's going to hurt to trade for him, but I'd rather move Holliday and say Norby or Stowers for Skubel than have to move Kjerstad or Cowser with Mayo or Basallo.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You do realize that was because Burnes was in the last year of contract and Skubel has two more years of control after this playoff run. So the Orioles get Skubel for three post seasons vs one so he's going to cost more. 

At the end of the day, this is about winning a World Series. Skubel makes this team more of a World Series contender than Holliday, Mayo or Basallo does. 

None of us want to trade the big-3, but the Orioles need an impact pitcher. Now maybe they will find one that doesn't cost them one of the Big-3, but they will be a rental and then next year the Orioles will be going into the offseason with just Grayson and Kremer penciled into the rotation in 2025.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, KojiSplit said:

As someone who wanted Bassitt and was disappointed to see what he signed for and it wasn't with the Orioles, I'm ok with them going out and getting him. Bassitt is a solid starter and while he's not an impact guy, he would not cost one of the big-3 and could probably be had for Povich and perhaps a Dylan Beavers-type prospect. 

I still want Skubel, but Bassitt would make the team better this year and next.

The way MLB is set now, the postseason is a crapshoot.  Don't trade the big 3.  Go get 2 of Bassitt, Eovaldi, Scherzer, Kikuchi, etc.  Go get a Scott, Puck, Yates. type.

Our trade capital is Mounty, Mullins, Hays, Urias, and anyone in the minors not named Mayo, Holliday, or Basallo.  

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In other words, you'd rather have a better chance of being good over the next 5 years vs great over the next 3 years.

Skubel makes the team better this year and the next 2 at the very least. Without Skubel and assuming someone outbids the Orioles for Burnes, the Orioles rotation next year is what, Grayson Rodriguez, Kremer and who??? 

Skubel is the kind if guy that the Orioles should be targeting. It's going to hurt to trade for him, but I'd rather move Holliday and say Norby or Stowers for Skubel than have to move Kjerstad or Cowser with Mayo or Basallo.

Yea but good chance it’s one of the big 3 and one of Kjerstad or Cowser, for the Tigers to make the trade.