Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But he has so much red on the baseball savant picture when he makes contact. 

Cowser = Spare Part

I'm not saying he might not put it together.  The defense certainly helps his case, but he might not ever hit

Edited by Can_of_corn

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I want Rubenstein to invest in the team, but I'm not sure he would feel ok with spending $100 mill on basically a worthless player in Baez.  Does Baez take Urias place?  With the way O's payroll will be increasing soon, I doubt it's an expenditure I want the O's to make and,I would much rather Rubenstein spend his money on extending players.

Baez is hitting like 2023 Cowser and playing bad defense. That would be the equivalent of the O's keeping Davis in the lineup or taking up a bench spot at 23M a year until 2028. I want nothing to do with that player or contract.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I said this in the Holliday thread but it probably belongs here. 

Not going to lie, I'd trade Holliday for two and half years of Skubal. 

It's not that I don't like Holliday, I do. In fact, as soon as they get him off the dirt I'm going to like him a lot more, but I just think if you can add a young left-handed ace for two and half seasons while were directly in the window, I think you have to go for it. Maybe you ask Detroit to add a Kevin McGonigle while we add in a guy like Luis DeLeon and maybe a Dominican guy like Luis Almeyda. 

Would you rather trade Holliday than Basallo or Mayo? How would you rank the big 3 as far as who you would least like to let go of?

39 minutes ago, Malike said:

If Morosi is being truthful and the Tigers are looking for the type of return WAS got for Soto, It's going to cost 2 of the top 100 and then some. I don't think Skubal is worth it and I don't think anyone is paying that price. I don't blame the Tigers for asking for it, he's the best pitcher in the AL this year.

If I'm the Tigers, I'm certainly going to try and get as much return as possible. Saying that, I'm not trading Holliday AND another top 100 prospect for him. 

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Would you rather trade Holliday than Basallo or Mayo? How would you rank the big 3 as far as who you would least like to let go of?

I've said those 3 are untouchable for awhile now, but if I can get two and half years of Skubel, then you have to consider moving one of them for him. 

Now, which one? Two things concern me about Holliday, his defense at 2B (he's not a SS) and his ground ball %. Now, I still think Holliday is going to b a very good major league player, but Mayo and Basallo have impact power bats. While I know the Orioles could use some OBP, and Holliday may certainly be able to provide that if he can get out of his own head at the major league level, I just love the power potential of Mayo and Basallo.

So I guess yes, if the Tigers say they will only do the deal if one of those three are involved, I'm reluctantly giving up Holliday.

• Upvote 4

What kind of pitchers are you getting for a package made up of Norby/Stowers/Bradfield/Beavers? Because I personally don’t see Elias trading any of Holliday/Mayo/Kjerstad/Basallo, even if it is for an ace like Skubal. 

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've said those 3 are untouchable for awhile now, but if I can get two and half years of Skubel, then you have to consider moving one of them for him. 

Now, which one? Two things concern me about Holliday, his defense at 2B (he's not a SS) and his ground ball %. Now, I still think Holliday is going to b a very good major league player, but Mayo and Basallo have impact power bats. While I know the Orioles could use some OBP, and Holliday may certainly be able to provide that if he can get out of his own head at the major league level, I just love the power potential of Mayo and Basallo.

So I guess yes, if the Tigers say they will only do the deal if one of those three are involved, I'm reluctantly giving up Holliday.

A month or so ago, you said you felt Holliday could still be a SS but needed to work on it. Now you say he can’t be a SS and question the defense at second even though he has barely played there at all and hasn’t played there in about a month.

Not quite sure I get the up and down thoughts on this, when the info just isn’t there (at least since you said something recently)?

Edited by Sports Guy

8 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

What kind of pitchers are you getting for a package made up of Norby/Stowers/Bradfield/Beavers? Because I personally don’t see Elias trading any of Holliday/Mayo/Kjerstad/Basallo, even if it is for an ace like Skubal. 

You might Fedde with a WS reliever thrown in.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying he might not put it together.  The defense certainly helps his case, but he might not ever hit

I like Cowser. Don’t get me wrong. But I’m including him all day as a 2nd piece with Holliday to get Skubal over having to include one of the big 3. 

Holliday, Cowser, Norby, McDermott, and Johnson. 

That’s what I would offer. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A month or so ago, you said you felt Holliday could still be a SS but needed to work on it. Now you say he can’t be a SS and question the defense at second even though he has barely played there at all and hasn’t played there in about a month.

Not quite sure I get the up and down thoughts on this, when the info just isn’t there (at least since you said something recently)?

I don't recall saying that a month ago. I said in last year's scouting report that I thought he could develop into a SS, but I thought he would end up at 2B. Maybe I said he might be playable like Westburg would be playable at SS, but you would not want him out there everyday. 

Obviously his arm has not been right this year, and that certainly plays into it for me, but I really don't see the extreme quickness that he would need in his release to overcome the lack of arm strength. Like I've been saying, I still think a move to centerfield may be in the best interest of the team if he isn't traded. 

Detroit isn’t the only game in town. We could go big and get Crochet, Robert, and Fedde. Or we could get creative and get Crochet and limit his innings the last two months. This would require us to get a rental type for the regular season, which we need anyone for a Game 4 option.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't recall saying that a month ago. I said in last year's scouting report that I thought he could develop into a SS, but I thought he would end up at 2B. Maybe I said he might be playable like Westburg would be playable at SS, but you would not want him out there everyday. 

Obviously his arm has not been right this year, and that certainly plays into it for me, but I really don't see the extreme quickness that he would need in his release to overcome the lack of arm strength. Like I've been saying, I still think a move to centerfield may be in the best interest of the team if he isn't traded. 

Sorry, I may be wrong about the timeline(it all blends together).  You did say within the last month that he has to grow physically to have a chance to stick at SS.  You were worried about his twitch.

Three things we’ve been doing,

1. DH’ing Holliday a lot recently so the scouts can’t really critique his defense. He’s not even playing 3 games in a row. We’ve been hiding him a little bit and the injury was convenient timing.

2. We really should send Cowser down for Mayo, but we’re trying to keep Cowser’s value high, and not tip our hand that we’d be willing to trade him. 

3. We also drafted Honeycutt because we’re willing to cut ties with EBJ. 

Holliday, Cowser, EBJ… starts a package 

Edited by sportsfan8703