Frankie Montas? No no, God, no.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10129114-mlb-trade-rumors-reds-frankie-montas-martinez-interest-orioles-amid-skubal-buzz

If this is true, then Mike is shooting low indeed. In @Greg Pappas poll, I voted for nothing meaningful to happen.  If this is something Elias is exploring, I’m deeply disappointed even despite my low expectations.

Montas is terrible.

Edited by HowAboutThat

• HowAboutThat changed the title to Frankie Montas? No no, God, no.
8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Montas is a perfectly fine guy to target if your goal is to get a better fifth starter than Cade Povich.  

They might be thinking about moving him to pen.  His numbers are pretty good 1st time through.  .203 average and .659 OPS.  Then get worse 2nd and 3rd time through.  Maybe let him pitch out of pen air it out and he throwing 97-99.  

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Montas is a perfectly fine guy to target if your goal is to get a better fifth starter than Cade Povich.  

We don’t want someone marginally better than a prospect who has been thrust into the rotation.

we want someone better than our current #3. Montas is awful. His WHIP is close to 1.4, his FIP is over 5. Whether he’s better than Povich is debatable, but so what? We want someone good, not someone who sucks a bit less than our worst.

And if Mike thinks that would be an adequate use of our resources, then he’s indicating a lack of real interest in improving the roster.

If all you ever do is Buy Low and Sell High, transactions mostly won't seem that exciting the moment they occur.

That said, Corbin Burnes was not in the spirit of that "always be arbitraging" and gives me some encouragement at the end of the day Elias will pay sticker price for the good stuff.

This is like when you have to pretend to not be interested in the used car you are trying to get a deal on.

• Upvote 1

I think Montas is interersting. It’s been a while since he’s been good, and he got shoulder surgery. But I don’t think he’s velo is diminished. Maybe he could even go to bullpen in playoffs. Just wouldn’t want him to be our only starter acquisition. 

1 hour ago, Daddy-O's said:

We want the Orioles to be connected to a number of pitchers.  It creates a sense of urgency with their trade partners.

This makes sense to me. Elias is basically telling all of his trade partners that they are not his only option. This is all a game of high-stakes poker. My only concern is he has never acquired an impact player for prospects at the trading deadline.

Now, the easy response is that he's never really thought his team was set up to make the World Series until this year, and that would not be wrong. 

This deadline is Elias' first real test to see what he's willing to part with and what he can get in return. Everyone knows he needs at least one impact starter and probably one impact bullpen arm. If he can pull that off without giving up any of the big-3, that would be a miracle.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This makes sense to me. Elias is basically telling all of his trade partners that they are not his only option. This is all a game of high-stakes poker. My only concern is he has never acquired an impact player for prospects at the trading deadline.

Now, the easy response is that he's never really thought his team was set up to make the World Series until this year, and that would not be wrong. 

This deadline is Elias' first real test to see what he's willing to part with and what he can get in return. Everyone knows he needs at least one impact starter and probably one impact bullpen arm. If he can pull that off without giving up any of the big-3, that would be a miracle.

Detroit is asking for the farm for Skubal. Cowser might not be enough for Fedde. Heck, Getz might be asking for one of the big 3. 

17 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

They might be thinking about moving him to pen.  His numbers are pretty good 1st time through.  .203 average and .659 OPS.  Then get worse 2nd and 3rd time through.  Maybe let him pitch out of pen air it out and he throwing 97-99.  

I have to believe this would be the strategy if they acquire him. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Detroit is asking for the farm for Skubal. Cowser might not be enough for Fedde. Heck, Getz might be asking for one of the big 3. 

If Cowser’s not enough for a career 4.93 pitcher then the Orioles need to hang up the phone. 

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

If Cowser’s not enough for a career 4.93 pitcher then the Orioles need to hang up the phone. 

So we’re judging Fedde off of 2021 and 2022?  Well you’re not gonna like what Crochet and Skubal did those years. 

Edited by sportsfan8703