AL playoff picture

eddie83

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

My hope is still that the Minn series means nothing and we can give Adley and Gunnar multiple games off and set up our pitching 

Obviously they would want home field but they aren’t going to push pitchers to do it. Once they clinch a spot you get your pitching set up. 

The landscape will be much clearer after this weekend. 

Edited by eddie83

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Let’s hope they get more than that.  

Maybe our position is so strong we might want to steer the more dangerous Tigers towards the Houston and then Cleveland/New York 2nd seed.    Either that, or the Royals just dredge up too many bad memories and we want to get either us or them out of the 4/5 positions at all costs.    3/6 bonus....you know Elias would relish taking Corbin Burnes down to Houston!

A scientific decision process has to consider if we should lose some games on purpose this weekend.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Maybe our position is so strong we might want to steer the more dangerous Tigers towards the Houston and then Cleveland/New York 2nd seed.    Either that, or the Royals just dredge up too many bad memories and we want to get either us or them out of the 4/5 positions at all costs.    3/6 bonus....you know Elias would relish taking Corbin Burnes down to Houston!

A scientific decision process has to consider if we should lose some games on purpose this weekend.

They haven’t had much trouble doing that. 

I would rather avoid Houston myself. 

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think I am right about this. Not 100%. 

If Orioles win two games this weekend and the Twins lose 2 they clinch. 

Twins lose head to head tiebreaker. Tigers would also lose to BAL in this scenario. 

The three way ties are a little confusing. I still think this particular scenario would clinch it. Obviously Orioles sweep would as well. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules?adobe_mc=TS%3D1726777179|MCMID%3D77706257196539754447441907508700729121|MCORGID%3DA65F776A5245B01B0A490D44@AdobeOrg&rsid=mlbios.at.bat.new.implementation&affiliateId=mlbapp-ios_referral

Yes right now we wouldn’t have the tiebreaker in a 3 team tie scenario if we go 1-5 or worse vs the Twins and Tigers.  However 2 wins gets us to 6-6 in those 12 games round robin type and either the Twins or Tigers will be 1 game under which will give us the tie breaker advantage.  

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

We have a 5 game lead for a WC. I hope we get hot when the playoffs start, and all will be well.

Having a healthy Westburg, Urias, Coulombe, Webb... and hopefully Mountcastle and GRod... will be like trade deadline acquisitions in the last week of the season without giving up any players

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Having a healthy Westburg, Urias, Coulombe, Webb... and hopefully Mountcastle and GRod... will be like trade deadline acquisitions in the last week of the season without giving up any players

Hopefully it will be like giving a blood transfusion to a sickly patient. Yes some players haven't played as well this season, but it's mainly the injuries that have taken it's toll. The lineup gets much better if Westburg, Urias and Mountcastle are back. No longer does Eloy have to play and Holliday can be platooned.

Plus O'Hearn will absolutely not see at bats against LHP like he has been recently at times. Webb and Coulombe provide depth to make the bullpen postseason viable. And Coulombe can close games instead of Dominguez assuming he's back all the way.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I've had enough of KC getting over on Baltimore teams. Lol

• Upvote 1

So looking at the numbers if we win at least 4 games we are in.  Anything under that their are ways we can not get in if we go 3-6.  The worst case scenario is we go 3-6 with only 1 of the wins coming vs the Tigers or Twins in the last 6 games vs them and they both go 8-1 and the Royals go 7-2 or better to  cause a 3 way tie where we would be the team left out.  If the Royals go 6-3 it causes a 4 way tie and they would be left out over us.  Now if all 3 of our wins are vs the Yankees we would be out in a 4 way tie.  The best case scenario is we win today and Saturday and the Twins lose both days and we are smoking cigars Saturday night.   

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

So looking at the numbers if we win at least 4 games we are in.  Anything under that their are ways we can not get in if we go 3-6.  The worst case scenario is we go 3-6 with only 1 of the wins coming vs the Tigers or Twins in the last 6 games vs them and they both go 8-1 and the Royals go 7-2 or better to  cause a 3 way tie where we would be the team left out.  If the Royals go 6-3 it causes a 4 way tie and they would be left out over us.  Now if all 3 of our wins are vs the Yankees we would be out in a 4 way tie.  The best case scenario is we win today and Saturday and the Twins lose both days and we are smoking cigars Saturday night.   

Isn’t the earliest they could clinch Sunday though? Thought their magic number was 6.

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Isn’t the earliest they could clinch Sunday though? Thought their magic number was 6.

The magic number is 4 vs the twins unless it ends in 3 way tie.  If we win today and Saturday that put us at 87-68 with 7 left so the worse we can do is 87-75.  That would give the Tigers 2 more losses putting them at 75 and if the Twins lose both they also have 75.   So even if the both win out it would be a 3 way tie it goes to head to head with 3 teams.  In that scenario the worse we could go is .500 and the tigers are already under .500 in that matchup.  If it goes to just us vs each team we would the tie breaker vs both of them with better record in divisions.