Does having Mateo on the IL hurt the Orioles at the deadline?

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Maybe he was a trade option,or maybe not, but even if hes not, it further complicates a trade of Urias or Norby or both.I would try and move Urias,who is a veteran shortstop with some offensive upside. But if  he and Norby go in trades, this would greatly expose the Orioles infield depth.I think they move Norby and keep Urias.

I guess how other teams view Norby and Urias, what they’re offering for each of them . Are the Orioles showcasing one of them or both ?

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have to agree here. Mateo is a good versatile utility guy who had been filling in admirably at 2B, especially against left-handers. His loss, which hopefully isn't for too long, should have no impact on any moves at the trading deadline. The Orioles can still play Westburg, Urias, and Norby at 2B, even if Holliday was moved. 

Could they trade either Urias or Norby and then promote Holiday up for good  ?

6 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Could they trade either Urias or Norby and then promote Holiday up for good  ?

That certainly could be a way they decide to go. Norby is still a decent trade chip, especially if a team is willing to live with his below average 2B defense.

• Upvote 1

I am bummed for Mateo he was part of the SS/2B injury stack affecting JP Crawford and Miguel Rojas just before the deadline.

The Los Angeles Dodgers I believe played a street free agent at shortstop last night.     Chris Taylor is part of the stack too if you expand it to middle infield sometime options.

Shouldn't matter at all.

Westy, Urias are 3B

Westy, Urias, Norby at 2B

If the O's want to trade Norby, you still have Westy and Urias at those spots, but that does leave a gap of coverage at 3B, and Mayo's defense there is questionable.  

I don’t think it really does impact deadline plans. I’ve always felt Urias was more valuable to the Orioles during the season and Mateo would be more valuable in the playoffs. One of Norby/Holliday/Mayo will be able to fill in for Urias, who I think will be traded. Figured Mateo was more likely to stay on the team all year.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Because of losing Mateo, means we lost an IF, so we might be less likely to trade Holliday.  

Imagine having a deal on the table with Jackson Holliday and saying no because of Jorge Mateo.

10 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I don’t think it really does impact deadline plans. I’ve always felt Urias was more valuable to the Orioles during the season and Mateo would be more valuable in the playoffs. One of Norby/Holliday/Mayo will be able to fill in for Urias, who I think will be traded. Figured Mateo was more likely to stay on the team all year.

Urias will probably be kept especially with Mateo's injury and he has almost no trade value.  Norby is one of the O's main trade chips.  Mayo/Holliday are Longshots to be moved for an ace.

If they're seriously considering guys like Miller and Skubal, Mateo and Urias would be minimal pot sweeteners at best.  I think the best IF we have right now is Urias at 3b, Gunnar SS, Westburg 2B, and Mounty 1B.  For me, that always made Mateo the odd man out, but the way Elias is rumored to covet him for speed and versatility, I doubt he was in trade discussion unless specifically requested by a trade partner. In other words, I don't think it changes much in trades because I don't see Elias going out of his way to make Mateo a piece of a trade.  Similarly, if any of the farm comes up and plays 3b or 2b modestly well and have at least as good batting numbers, they play over Urias, while Westy stays put at 2B or moves to 3B.

Short answer, I don't it think the injury affects trades as much as it does our necessary juggling of pieces to take his place now unless those pieces we are cycling in were objects of trades - Norby, Holliday, etc.  But if that's the case I still don't think it affects things because we will go with the IF from above and still be able to trade anyone who might have filled in for Mateo.

God, I feel like I just ran around the damn barn trying to get in the front door. :)

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Maybe he was a trade option,or maybe not, but even if hes not, it further complicates a trade of Urias or Norby or both.I would try and move Urias,who is a veteran shortstop with some offensive upside. But if  he and Norby go in trades, this would greatly expose the Orioles infield depth.I think they move Norby and keep Urias.

I don’t think Hyde/Elias would deal him either way. I think Norby is going to be a star here. We aren’t trading for anybody major IMO. Trade chips start with Bradfield and don’t include Kjerstad, Norby, Holliday, Mayo, or Basallo. 

Edited by Roll Tide