Hays traded to Phillies

deward

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Anyone who said Hays can’t hack it anymore judged him on his first month of the season and has ignored how he’s played since then.  He has an .872 OPS since coming off the IL in May.  Overall, despite the terrible start, he has a 106 OPS+, right in line with 107 for his career.   

Saying that, I have no problem with the trade.   

The bat will be fine, it's the declining speed and defense and inflating salary that's the issue.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Pache is only til Mateo returns?

I can’t imagine acquiring this guy as a late inning defensive replacement, instead of getting somebody better and then letting Mullins be the late inning defensive replacement. As much as I love Caleb Joseph, I sure didn’t want him getting any late at bats in a close game.

18 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

They subtracted Hayes and added Pache.  Where did they ad room for our younger players?

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How …

Hays OPS .712 …Capache .557

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pachecr01.shtml

How? What? I haven’t even mentioned Pache cause he’s irrelevant to me in this trade. He’s a throw in. Late defense only. Can’t believe some of you guys think Pache is going to be starting all the time.

9 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

Hays wasn't playing anyway but the veteranosity of him probably had Hyde playing him more than he should have been. I don't think you see him doing that with Pache. 

Plus they got BP help.

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Maybe Pache is only til Mateo returns?

I can’t imagine acquiring this guy as a late inning defensive replacement, instead of getting somebody better and then letting Mullins be the late inning defensive replacement. As much as I love Caleb Joseph, I sure didn’t want him getting any late at bats in a close game.

Do we know how long Mateo will be out? 

1 minute ago, KojiSplit said:

If Mullins is still here past the trade deadline Pache will probably be released. What are we even doing here.

We are getting anything for a guy who will be non tendered next season. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KojiSplit said:

If Mullins is still here past the trade deadline Pache will probably be released. What are we even doing here.

I would guess they didn't trade for him at all, but for the reliever. They just needed to take him to make it happen.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, interloper said:

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

I would guess they didn't trade for him at all, but for the reliever. They just needed to take him to make it happen.

I’ve already posted in the thread multiple times in regards to its good Hays is off the team to allow at bats for Kjerstad etc and Dominguez numbers for the last couple months as he gets dumped on.

Me saying what are we doing here was in direct response to talking about Pache.

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Explain.

Elias just traded Hays who  is not a free agent until after the 2025 season. In return he got reliever that has an 8m option which means the O's probably non tender Dominguez after the 2024 season.

Hays in another organization is an everyday corner outfielder with a great arm and  average mobility.  When he is healthy he hits.  He is 28 which means is not old and was an All Star is 2023.  

When Hays only returns an average middle reliever who is a rental that shows how hard it is for Elias to acquire pitching without trading his best prospects.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias just trade Hays would is not a free agent until after the 2025 season. In return he got reliever that has an 8m option which means the O's probably non tender Dominguez after the 2024 season.

Hays in another organization is an everyday corner outfielder with a great arm and as average mobility.  When he is healthy the hits.  He is 28 which means is not old and was an All Star is 2023.  

When Hays only returns an average middle reliever who is a rental that shows how hard it is for Elias to acquire pitching without trading his best prospects.

Funny, I thought you were being sarcastic about how hard/easy it is to trade for pitching. All depends on how one views Hays and Dominguez, I guess. I value them the opposite as you so then conclude, it's not so hard to acquire pitching! ;)

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

To get Dominguez on the 26 man roster a pitcher needs to be optioned.   I would guess that is Baker.

When Povich is called up next week  either Akin or Smith need to be optioned.   Barring other trades.

Dominguea has 5 years of service time which means he can not be optioned without his permission.

Why does Povich even need to be called up? They can stick with McDermott. Or if they want Povich, just send down McDermott for him. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Elias got a bullpen arm who might be a factor in the postseason for an outfielder who has been made redundant by organizational depth. I like this trade while Hays has been an asset the team doesn't need him.

The Orioles also got a bullpen arm without giving up any trade ammunition which will be needed for any impact trade deadline moves.

Trade from the top of the deck approach:  A+

Solid B on Dominguez too.  Still need another RP.

Pache is textbook swing decision/swing hard in case you hit it approach: plus EV, plus HH%, plus Chase%, and plus BB%...  with an awful Whiff%.  

• Upvote 1