O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well this explains why we had to pay more than expected.  A bit of deadline bidding war took place.  It still makes little sense of what Fedde went for compared to Rogers.  

Yes the ChiSox should have definitely gotten more for Fedde but when Chris Getz is in charge.. well clearly it’s a $hit show in Southside and it ain’t getting better anytime soon.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well this explains why we had to pay more than expected.  A bit of deadline bidding war took place.  It still makes little sense of what Fedde went for compared to Rogers.  

Hell, even what the Dodgers gave up for Flaherty. Yeah, I get Flaherty has a negative history here and he's a true rental, but I have a very hard time saying this Rogers trade meaningfully helps the O's this year. Maybe he's a long-term play because of the additional 2 years left of control, but man...Rogers reads like a borderline #5 this year with...not much to show about him exceeding that next year and beyond. He's like Cole Irvin when he was acquired, but Irvin cost significantly less. The Astros certainly overpaid for Kikuchi (also a rental), but he at least has a ton of upside/history even though he was getting bombed recently after starting strong.

Fedde cost pennies. That was a miss by Elias, IMHO.

I get it - Skubal would have cost far too much. But Rogers just isn't exciting unless the O's really, truly believe he can bounce back to some shadow of himself from a few years ago. But right now it feels like a desperation move from Elias.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When you wait till the last minute, you have no choice but to overpay.  I would have rather got a top back end reliever than Rogers and roll with what we had in the 5th spot, which wasn't good.  I guess we'll see how it works out.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Hell, even what the Dodgers gave up for Flaherty. Yeah, I get Flaherty has a negative history here and he's a true rental, but I have a very hard time saying this Rogers trade meaningfully helps the O's this year. Maybe he's a long-term play because of the additional 2 years left of control, but man...Rogers reads like a borderline #5 this year with...not much to show about him exceeding that next year and beyond. He's like Cole Irvin when he was acquired, but Irvin cost significantly less. The Astros certainly overpaid for Kikuchi (also a rental), but he at least has a ton of upside/history even though he was getting bombed recently after starting strong.

Fedde cost pennies. That was a miss by Elias, IMHO.

I get it - Skubal would have cost far too much. But Rogers just isn't exciting unless the O's really, truly believe he can bounce back to some shadow of himself from a few years ago. But right now it feels like a desperation move from Elias.

I have a hard time believing the O's couldn't have gotten Anderson for Norby/Stowers, or at the worst added like a 20-25 ranked prospect. 

• Upvote 1

I personally did not like the trade when it was announced, as I thought the Os could have traded for a starter in the off-season and not had to pay as much as a trade at the trade deadline.

I didn't see Roger's as an upgrade, and still don't. I thought that Norby and Stowers could have been better used to acquire a stronger BP piece. Rogers does nothing to help the Os in a playoff push

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fla_O'sfan said:

It’s still way too early to judge this trade, but Stowers is 1 for 15 with 9 K’s and the Marlins thought so much of Norby, they sent him to the Jacksonville Shrimp.

They want Norby to learn to play third 

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I have a hard time believing the O's couldn't have gotten Anderson for Norby/Stowers, or at the worst added like a 20-25 ranked prospect. 

And then owe him a lot of money going forward?  No thanks 

Time will tell whether this was an acceptable price for Rogers, and that'll mostly just come down to how well the O's can "fix" him.

As for why Elias got Rogers instead of Fedde/Anderson/etc, I think the extra years of control tend to be valued a lot higher by front offices than by fans. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Time will tell whether this was an acceptable price for Rogers, and that'll mostly just come down to how well the O's can "fix" him.

As for why Elias got Rogers instead of Fedde/Anderson/etc, I think the extra years of control tend to be valued a lot higher by front offices than by fans. 

I have no doubt they valued it. 

But it’s something that should be valued less for crappy players.