Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe this is quantifiable… how many missed calls has Eloy had this season?  How many missed calls have Adley, Holliday, and we’ll throw in Mullins/Mounty?

Is that data out there?

It’s out there, but I don’t know where to find it.  I recall seeing some chart last year showing that Adley had been the victim of more bad strike calls than any other player.  And here’s something from 2022, but I have no idea where to get this data.  

11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Biggest question I have is what is his role. Even if he performs well it seems he is taking ABs from Mountcastle. I guess having him guarantees that we will have one of Eloy, RMC, or O'Hearn to pinch hit off the bench at the first opportunity. Seems like a bit of a waste but he didn't cost much of anything so I guess it's a nice luxury. 

DH vs LHP. Then the question is how much he DH’s vs RHP like yesterday? I’ll guess around 35-50%.  

30 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Eloy and even Rogers to a small extent are just lesser iterations of the Gerrit Cole or Kevin Gausman scenario of It took me a minute to find an org that could help me maximize my talent.

Eloy is much of the way down the Jesus Montero wunderkind who busted road, but I believe he's still nearer to Nelson Cruz than Jesus Aguilar overall.    Zooming in closer, the Delmon Young or Geronimo Berroa comps made by others I agree fit well.

I believe the big hopes are as much about the White Sox organization's lagging the other MLB clubs than him.    

Even low launch angle Eloy has some batting skill.    He and Basallo aren't Pedro Cerrano all or nothing sluggers.   I'd bet more than Mountcastle he is the teammate Fuller/Borgschulte might see value in Coby Mayo trading in game observations on between their first and second plate appearances against the SP before reliever carousel commences third time through the order.

I wouldn't be shocked if Eloy 2 years younger has more rest of career WAR in him than Anthony Santander.    

Rostering a full time DH for 2 months not 6 seems kind of analytically on brand, the yin to the yang of Adley inching towards the 100% catcher deployment I hope we'll get to see in October.    

I think you make a good point. It’s easier to carry this type of player in the short term. Then in September you can add another bat to the bench.  

Over the course of the long season it’s better to have more flexible players. Fine tuning the roster now.  

Amazing what two good games will do for your rep around here with some folks! :D

I'm rooting for him to have a resurgence with the Orioles and become an Orioles legend as he leads this team to a World Series! 

Saying that, I expect him to fall back into a guy you only want facing left-handers, but that's what he was acquired to do. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Amazing what two good games will do for your rep around here with some folks! :D

I'm rooting for him to have a resurgence with the Orioles and become an Orioles legend as he leads this team to a World Series! 

Saying that, I expect him to fall back into a guy you only want facing left-handers, but that's what he was acquired to do. 

He is currently the fan opposite of Rogers…..

That said he can help vs LHP. Especially will be needed if Mayo keeps scuffling. 

55 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Questioning is an effective tool. That’s why law enforcement does it. As humans we’re prone to always respond.

So since questioning is your admitted “act” here, you pressure people into responding to your questions only to criticize any part of their response by dragging them far into the weeds. 

So let me ask you a question. Do you think you deter new posters, or posters with new ideas, from posting here in anyway?  If so, what does that do to page views, site traffic, conversations, and memberships?

What is winning?  Does it change the reality of what goes on in the field?  Does it change the reality of dollars/cents for this website/community?

You know what else is an effective tool?

Attacking the other party instead of engaging in a dialogue over the actual point of contention.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know what else is an effective tool?

Attacking the other party instead of engaging in a dialogue over the actual point of contention.

I'm not attacking you.  I'm pointing out that we agree to disagree.  I'm freely admitting that my point of that Eloy is a vet presence, with better standing with the umps than what we had previously had, might not be quantifiable.  Even if quantifiable it will require alot more time and data.  I freely admit that.  

I also believe that Eloy going from a team that was 27-87 to us, not having the burden of his big contract, or the burden of prior IL stints, could be freeing to him mentally.  We saw it with Aaron Hicks last year.  Again, I freely admit that this isn't quantifiable.  It's my opinion of what could/could not happen.  

Eloy is a DH and if he gets tossed from the game for arguing balls/strikes then no big deal. If Mullins, Holliday, Adley, etc get tossed from the game, then we could find ourselves in a difficult situation defensively. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm not attacking you.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Can_of_corn 

Stick to bullying the new people.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So let me ask you a question. Do you think you deter new posters, or posters with new ideas, from posting here in anyway?  If so, what does that do to page views, site traffic, conversations, and memberships?

So you are accusing me of bullying people and question if I am hurting the metrics of the site but you're not attacking me?

Oh, am I questioning too much?

It's fine, I'm used to folks resorting to attacking me. 

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you are accusing me of bullying people and question if I am hurting the metrics of the site but you're not attacking me?

Oh, am I questioning too much?

It's fine, I'm used to folks resorting to attacking me. 

I'm not attacking you.  If the bullying word fits then that is for you to ponder over and possibly change.

- Incessant questioning?  Check

- Strawmanning/Stealmanning?  Check

- Nitpicking how people say something versus their overall point?  Check

- Deterring differing opinions that vary from your own thoughts or accepted group think?  Check

- Needing the last word?  Check

Maybe some self reflection is in order.  That's on you bud, not me.  

Weird discussion going in here IMO. There's just not that much reason to focus on Eloy Jimenez, lol.

If he hits, fantastic. 

If he doesn't, Westburg will hopefully be back. Or Kjerstad. 

For now he seems like a good enough mercenary to add, and I detect no bad clubhouse vibes.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm not attacking you.  If the bullying word fits then that is for you to ponder over and possibly change.

- Incessant questioning?  Check

- Strawmanning/Stealmanning?  Check

- Nitpicking how people say something versus their overall point?  Check

- Deterring differing opinions that vary from your own thoughts or accepted group think?  Check

- Needing the last word?  Check

Maybe some self reflection is in order.  That's on you bud, not me.  

Bud, Chum, Pal.

You accused me of damaging the board's metrics.

That's an attack.  You couldn't defend your actual point so you decided to try and whisper into Tony's ear that I'm hurting his bottom line.

I view that as being pretty low.

But you be you.

But thanks for introducing me to Stealmanning.  I wasn't familiar with that term.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I understand. We value things differently. 

I won’t say complains more. But I believe that Eloy is more respected around the league as a hitter than Mountcastle. Former all star. More of a vet. And just more physically imposing. 

The physically imposing stuff matters with arguing and the umps. 

Does an ump want to argue with Eloy or Jackson Holliday?  They don’t want that big dude in their face.

You might not think that, but he’s Holliday’s caddy/enforcer in a way. Our whole young team for that matter. 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion,  but he's here to hit.

I think he can add some value down the stretch, or at least hope he does. Once he stops hitting the curtain falls for him.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

He is currently the fan opposite of Rogers…..

That said he can help vs LHP. Especially will be needed if Mayo keeps scuffling. 

I think the price was steep for Rogers, but it was still a necessary trade. I don't know what to expect for the rest of this season,  but I fully expect them to try to get him on track in 2025.