Remember-Elias traded Tanner Scott 2 years ago for garbage. Good drafter. Horrible GM when it comes to trades.

34 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Do words not mean anything any longer? The word prospect has a very distinct meaning. And it doesn’t mean somebody that has been in the majors for 4 full seasons.

Go easy on him, he thought a home run counted more for OBP than a single or a walk until like a week ago.

Honestly, I’m not a big fan of any of these trades outside Eflin and the Patrick Reilly deal. I’m willing to wait and see on the rest of these. For a team in World Series contention it seems like this was a bunch of project acquisitions. I really hope I’m wrong. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea, this thread is garbage and full of wtf is this guy talking about stuff but I think looking at this a different way is fair…what happened that caused the Os to not develop him?  Why couldn’t we get through to him?  

What about Evan Phillips (released) who until this year was a more valuable reliever than Scott.  Some guys just need an opportunity.

7 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Ha, I mean I had hope that he would be good. He had the stuff. But he got whipped again and again. Reminded me of Daniel Cabrera. Potential but never panned out. Then Scott figured it out. I wouldn't be surprised though if this time next year he's pitching himself to be a DFA candidate. But he's on a nice run right now.

I'll be shocked if he gets hit with a DFA next year.  He's probably going to sign a pretty lucrative FA contract in the off-season and those guys get a lot of rope.

32 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's a little strange to say that the farm system that was ranked #1 preseason by MLB is now VERY devoid of talent. They gave up some pieces to win now, but that's kind of the point of having an overwhelmingly good system.

That was because of the top 3.  Besides that....who is rated highly?

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Maybe its because...Tanner Scott was garbage? Just a thought. I don't know anyone that wanted him. Felt the same way about him as Flaherty last year. He also turned it around. Sometimes people turn things around. 

Ask the Royals why they gave up O'Hearn for nothing, it's because he couldn't hit a baseball.

Ridiculous take.  Gaslighting. 

A guy averaging over 1 strikeout per inning is not garbage. 

17 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

After thinking about it more, the OP is right, we should not have traded Scott...we shouldn't have been able to. We should've released him. How we got anything for him is a win. 

Again....gaslighting.

Be better.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Ridiculous take.  Gaslighting

A guy averaging over 1 strikeout per inning is not garbage. 

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again....gaslighting.

Be better.

You, my good sir, do not understand the meaning of that term.

This is a strange hill to die on.  My recollection was that Scott and Sulser weren't going to make the team so Elias got what he could for them.

Scott had 4+ years here to figure it out.  His best year he walked 4.4 per 9.  His last year it was 6.2.  

You could certainly ask the question what the Marlins did to unlock him (though in his first year in Miami his BB/9 went UP to 6.6!). Sometimes things don't work out, but trades should not be evaluated with 20/20 hindsight but rather by the information and market at the time.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I will ask again.  Was the trade of TS a terrible trade?  Or was the fact that the Os failed to develop him terrible, when the Marlins did soon after?  

Either way it falls back on Elias.   Because he either didn't see the talent in TS or he hasn't hired the people who can develop high velocity pitchers. 

Again, LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR.  i AM NOT SAYING ELIAS SHOULD BE FIRED OVER THIS.

BUT THE FACT THAT THIS TRADE HAS NOT BEEN BROUGHT UP MORE OFTEN AS A COMPLETE DISASTER, ESPECIALLY AFTER SO MANY WANTED TO TRADE  A BOATLOAD BACK FOR HIM THIS WEEK?  IS ONE OF THE GREATEST SPIN JOBS IN ORIOLES FANDOM HISTORY. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again....gaslighting.

Be better.

😂 It's a good thing you aren't serious, can't be, or I'd be worried about you. K/9 is all that matters though, you're right. Anyone who strikes out more than 1 per inning is a good pitcher. Good night Jason La Confora.

3 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

You, my good sir, do not understand the meaning of that term.

No.  I it is you.  I am spot on.  Trying to spin a false narrative and making the person who doesn't believe the narrative the 'bad guy'.

Gaslighting is an insidious form of manipulation and psychological control. Victims of gaslighting are deliberately and systematically fed false information that leads them to question what they know to be true, often about themselves. They may end up doubting their memory, their perception, and even their sanity.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Who would you like him to run out there in starting and relief roles? I like who we got in the last couple of days more than many of the guys below.

Povich - 6.27 ERA

Irvin - (Last 30 Days) 9.68 ERA, DFA'd

Suarez - (last 30 days) - 7.64 ERA

Bradish - IL

Coloumbe - IL

Means - IL

Wells - IL

Kimbrel - (Last 30 days) - 7.27 ERA

Webb - (Last 15 days) - 5.79

What does giving up more than you want to in order to obtain a starting pitcher to try to fix an ailing and faltering back-end of the rotation? I am sure we would have made the same trade if we didn't have 3/5ths of our starting staff go down, every starting pitcher prospect get rocked, and our flex starters fall back to underwhelming results. Stowers is not an elite prospect and Norby is a solid prospect, but what use is he going to do for use behind Gunnar, Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, and Westburg? If you think that we should have dealt a better prospect for a better player, fine, but the prices were pretty high this trade deadline.

I wouldn't take any other GM in baseball over Elias.  Period.  Especially given the constraints he is under.  It's relatively easy to be the GM of a big market team like the Dodgers.  You can buy a great team there.  Would you rather have the Mets GM??