Cole Irvin DFA, Blake Hunt up

eddie83

Can a DFA player come back on the 40 man?  Wikipedia says yes but I've never actually heard of this happening.  The trade deadline passed so there's no trade that can be made with Irvin.

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Why is Hunt up? Does McCann need an IL stint?

He was already with the team on the taxi squad.

Cole Irvin was going to be DFA'd tomorrow anyway.

The players we traded for couldn't get here in time.

So why not activate him for a day in case Adley gets hurt in the first inning, McCann doesn't have to go out there for 8 innings.

Doesn't mean McCann NEEDS to go on the IL, but it can't hurt to give him another day to heal a bit more.  

So it was basically a free move.   You could have kept Irvin on the roster another day but he wasn't going to pitch today after 3 innings / 54 pitches.   So you can keep a guy on the roster that there is no way you were going to use, who will be gone tomorrow anyway, or you can put Hunt on the roster for the 1% chance that he might be able to help.

Edited by SteveA
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Why is Hunt up? Does McCann need an IL stint?

No. He was here in case McCann needed an IL stint, but he didn't need one. He was still here when we had a roster opening with the Norby trade, so he got a day on the roster.

I'm sure it was an exciting day for him, but he will be off the roster tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Much needed DFA for Irvin here. He has lost all feel for pitching and nobody has time for that nonsense. I hope he clears because he still has potential to be a good innings-eater and we need guys like that in the system. But if I'm a rebuilding team, I'm claiming him. And that's fine. He gave us what we traded for - bulk innings. It's unfortunate he couldn't stop from having these wild swings, or even be as good as he was in Oakland. But that's pitching for you. 

He's a really good dude and I wish him well. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Hasn't the trade deadline passed?

I think if he clears waivers and is traded for a player not on a 40 man roster, it can still go through?    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I think if he clears waivers and is traded for a player not on a 40 man roster, it can still go through?    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Irvin can still be traded because he was DFA'd.  The DFA is different from the old revocable waivers.  I assume Pache will be DFA'd too.  I hope we elect to get some young DSL dudes versus the Kyle Vbritskky types.  

• Upvote 1

Irvin can not be traded at this point.   He has to be put on waivers.   He is either claimed with the O's getting nothing or if he passed through waivers he is outrighted to Norfolk.   I think this is the first time he is outrighted so he has to accept the assignment to the minors.  He keeps his salary in either case.

If he makes it to the minors he is no longer on the 40 man roster and can be traded at that point for a minor league player.

Agree he is likely to be claimed.

HIs salary for the rest of the season is roughly 670K.

The question about can he come back of the 40 man roster.   If he is outrighted to Norfolk he can be recalled.  We saw this with O'Hearn.   He was acquired on the major league roster.  DFA'd. Passed through waivers.  Assigned to Norfolk and hit his way back onto the O's 40 man roster.