2024 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Sanfran327

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Sorry to hear that take from you this early.    

TJ database says Meister did Bradish's 6/19/2024.

Year over year, Meister did Matthew Boyd 6/28/2023 and Jacob deGrom 6/12/2023, and those two haven't quit 2024 yet.

An extra month, Tyler Mahle 5/22/2023 may have been part of why Michael Lorenzen was let go.    Robbie Ray 5/3/2023 back now.

I do believe he'll be handled conservatively if he isn't A+ on all the checkpoints.

Ben McDonald mentioned today we aren’t going to see Bradish next season 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What I am confused about is the lineup vs LHP. 

Holliday to the bench, Urias in. 

O'Hearn to the bench, Eloy in. 

We are still stuck with two LH OF's out of Mullins, Cowser, and Kjerstad. 

It seems we are better off with a RHB OF instead of Kjerstad to play vs LHP but I'm not sure Pache or Slater are playable. 

Slater will play Pache will be DFA. We just wanted the chance to keep him through waivers.

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Slater will play Pache will be DFA. We just wanted the chance to keep him through waivers.

So Kjerstad back to AAA? That sucks for him but you can't be turning 90% catch probability outs into extra bases.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

So Kjerstad back to AAA? That sucks for him but you can't be turning 90% catch probability outs into extra bases.

Kjersted hasn’t been the same since he got beaned.  If he can go down and get hot again he will get his chance.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I think for now until he literally clears his head. He was 2-18 since that incident. Team is by no means a finished product and Cowser, Muliins or Ohearn could slump again soon. 

Remember earlier in the season when against LHP it seemed like we played McCann as he was straight one of the best 9 options Hyde had.

From here against any random LHP I guess Hyde could go:

LF Slater, RF Santander, SS Gunnar, C Adley, 1B Mountcastle, 2B Westburg, DH Eloy, CF Cowser, 3B Urias

Sure anywhere you write Eloy you could also write Mayo.   

I hope Holliday as long as his chin is above water he isn't hidden but certainly it is possible a platoon player is all he will be this fall.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Remember earlier in the season when against LHP it seemed like we played McCann as he was straight one of the best 9 options Hyde had.

From here against any random LHP I guess Hyde could go:

LF Slater, RF Santander, SS Gunnar, C Adley, 1B Mountcastle, 2B Westburg, DH Eloy, CF Cowser, 3B Urias

Sure anywhere you write Eloy you could also write Mayo.   

I hope Holliday as long as his chin is above water he isn't hidden but certainly it is possible a platoon player is all he will be this fall.

That looks right. Eloy will probably have a month to work hard in the cages and get going.

My guess at the upcoming roster construction...

Rotation
Burnes 
Rodriguez
Eflin 
Kremer
Rogers 

Relievers
Kimbrel
Cano
Perez 
Dominguez
Soto 
Akin 
Suarez
Webb

Position Players
Rutschman
McCann
Mountcastle
O’Hearn
Holliday
Westburg
Henderson
Urias
Cowser
Mullins
Santander
Slater
Jimenez

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I was as underwhelmed as anyone (in particular after the Rodgers trade), but after taking some time to think, sleep, and reflect; I think Elias did as well as anyone and as well as you could realistically expect considering who was moved and who was not.

After seeing all the transactions, (S/O to @Sanfran327 for laying them all out!) I can see the vision Elias had which I believe is - Instead of taking one big swing for the fences, just try to hit as many singles as you can. What Elias did was to strengthen the floor of the roster significantly. The problem with the O's after all the pitching injuries is that we had become WAY TOO top heavy. Over the last 6 weeks, in games that Burnes or Rodriguez didn't start, we were often not competitive from a pitching perspective. Yes the offense has slumped as of late (in particular our best 2 hitters - Adley & Gunnar) but you cannot sustain winning surrendering 6 runs a game like we had been doing since the Bradish injury.

No we didn't make the sexy/splashy move that I and many others had hoped for, but we patched a lot of holes on a boat that was leaking badly. Just think about over the month of July all of the bad teams that we made look like world beaters because we couldn't pitch. We had way too many pitchers who simply aren't good Major Leaguers being counted on (or at least in roles that they have no business being in - like Kremer/Suarez as #3/4 starters or Perez as a 8th inning guy, etc.)

When you think about the fact that there were no difference making players who moved teams, I can't really blame Elias for acquiring one. Think about how MIA got a top 100 prospect for a guy in Tanner Scott who will be an FA in 2 months. IMO that is a serious overpay and would not have wanted to sell Kjerstad for what would have equated to pennies on the dollar. Yes, we traded away Norby and Stowers for an underwhelming return (as a side note I am very happy for both of them), but that was the cost of doing business yesterday, as the new Wild Card rules now favor sellers in a way that they can maximize leverage (since there are so few now).

Last thing, while we are not the clear favorite (like I wanted us to be) there is no team in the AL that scares me. And other than SEA and Philly who really has a better rotation? And next year, we should be a better team as we will have everyone back while adding Felix ... As long as we resign Burnes/Fried or another pitcher who can give us consistent performances like Burnes has this season. That guy has been everything anybody could have ever hoped or dreamed for!

This is an outstanding post.  And I admit it surprised me.  I hope this turns out to be a good thing for the Orioles and of course we will not know for some time.  But I am moved by your reflection after being so aggressive in your advocacy for the "big move".  Well done.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mayo 27th man in Sept?

If that’s the plan, where is he going to play? I had assumed before the Jimenez trade he was going to be a RH DH vs. LHP, maybe get some starts vs. RHP over Mountcastle down the stretch, but exclusively DH vs LHP and pinch hit in the playoffs. But now with Jimenez in that righty DH/pinch hit role, is Mayo going to play 3B vs. LHP instead of Urias (with Westburg at 2B)?

Mateo going to the 60-day IL means his season is either over or he’s coming back in September. If he’s coming back in September, he’s the 27th man. If he’s out for the year, Mayo could be the 27th man and be postseason eligible by the replacement rule. 

But if they don’t trust Mayo’s defense at 3B, with Jimenez here they aren’t going to get Mayo into the lineup without him playing 3B. Since they don’t trust Mayo to be playing 3B in the playoffs vs LHP, it’s probably going to be Kjerstad as an extra lefty bat or somebody for pinch running / defensive replacement - and Mayo is blocked if everyone is healthy (unless they cut bait on Jimenez). 

19 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I was as underwhelmed as anyone (in particular after the Rodgers trade), but after taking some time to think, sleep, and reflect; I think Elias did as well as anyone and as well as you could realistically expect considering who was moved and who was not.

After seeing all the transactions, (S/O to @Sanfran327 for laying them all out!) I can see the vision Elias had which I believe is - Instead of taking one big swing for the fences, just try to hit as many singles as you can. What Elias did was to strengthen the floor of the roster significantly. The problem with the O's after all the pitching injuries is that we had become WAY TOO top heavy. Over the last 6 weeks, in games that Burnes or Rodriguez didn't start, we were often not competitive from a pitching perspective. Yes the offense has slumped as of late (in particular our best 2 hitters - Adley & Gunnar) but you cannot sustain winning surrendering 6 runs a game like we had been doing since the Bradish injury.

No we didn't make the sexy/splashy move that I and many others had hoped for, but we patched a lot of holes on a boat that was leaking badly. Just think about over the month of July all of the bad teams that we made look like world beaters because we couldn't pitch. We had way too many pitchers who simply aren't good Major Leaguers being counted on (or at least in roles that they have no business being in - like Kremer/Suarez as #3/4 starters or Perez as a 8th inning guy, etc.)

When you think about the fact that there were no difference making players who moved teams, I can't really blame Elias for acquiring one. Think about how MIA got a top 100 prospect for a guy in Tanner Scott who will be an FA in 2 months. IMO that is a serious overpay and would not have wanted to sell Kjerstad for what would have equated to pennies on the dollar. Yes, we traded away Norby and Stowers for an underwhelming return (as a side note I am very happy for both of them), but that was the cost of doing business yesterday, as the new Wild Card rules now favor sellers in a way that they can maximize leverage (since there are so few now).

Last thing, while we are not the clear favorite (like I wanted us to be) there is no team in the AL that scares me. And other than SEA and Philly who really has a better rotation? And next year, we should be a better team as we will have everyone back while adding Felix ... As long as we resign Burnes/Fried or another pitcher who can give us consistent performances like Burnes has this season. That guy has been everything anybody could have ever hoped or dreamed for!

Yup. It’s hard to have a beef with Elias. He made like 8 trades. 

2 Contender - Contender trades

1 Intra Division Trade

1 Prospect - Prospect trade

1 Trade with the CWS

1 Trade with the Marlins for a SP

These are just the standouts.