Expectations for Jackson Holliday

mddisney

Holliday was having an extremely good July but went quite cold over the last week.  I think he’ll give us good, patient at bats.   Put me down for .700+ OPS with a .330+ OBP.  Defense acceptable but with some rookie mistakes.   

He plays sparingly and when he does play, he's put in positions where Hyde and Elias believe he is most likely to succeed.  I'm surprised he's up again in 2024, but I guess Mateo's injury has forced their hand.

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

He plays sparingly and when he does play, he's put in positions where Hyde and Elias believe he is most likely to succeed.  I'm surprised he's up again in 2024, but I guess Mateo's injury has forced their hand.

He was always going to come up when they felt comfortable with his arm/throwing.

I do find myself somewhat surprised he's back, especially after some withering reports on his defense of late in Norfolk. That said, Mateo is hurt, Norby is gone, and starting Urias every day is apparently unpalatable to Elias. 

I worry a little about a repeat of his first stint considering he didn't change much about his approach - in fact I think he tried to change it and then reverted - but we'll just have to see. 

It's kind of risky development-wise, IMO. I might have preferred starting fresh next year. But I'm hoping for the best. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Big time overreactions by members of this site 

I'm not seeing any overreactions in this thread? What are you referring to?

EDIT: Ah, I get, you are expecting overreactions. Haha. 

Edited by interloper

I don’t expect much. If he can provide solid defense and a bat suited for the 9 spot then we can call it a success. 

This is just my thoughts on the matter, but expectations were so high on him to start the year that I think it messed with his head. 

I have low expectations after Holliday's first call-up and now a bum elbow limiting him defensively. Elias has better scouting reports than I do, so I'll just hope for the best.  

Pregame show segment, Melanie Newman straight asked him "what were the adjustments?" necessary at AAA.

Holliday answered cutting down on the swing and miss, and even volunteered the keyword "flatten".

Connor Norby, Anthony Volpe and Jackson Holliday are three young infielders who in the past couple few years have been trained up by their ballclubs.    

There is an ideal of Ted Williams or Barry Bonds clubs are trying to teach everyone.    Long run Anthony Santander is proving to be a very apt Elevate and Celebrate pupil.

I think the play right now is to let Holliday ping line drives, and the player and club might even in time grant pounding the weight room and taking a Captain Morgan sized leg kick to put out the power people want now now now might not have been the optimal strategy in 2024 for this bat.

1996 Derek Jeter had a .116 ISO, and 22 postseason base hits.

Finishes the season at .250/.350/.450.    Why not?

Wishful thinking maybe but I think/hope he’s not opening up as much as before and will actually drive some balls to LF and hit some homers.   He showed zero power earlier in the year.   I expect to see some, starting today.