I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The takeaway is that Roy is alluding to the notion that Mayo feels resentment towards the organization. That’s not good. 

Who cares, he'll be here for 6 years no matter what he thinks. He's 22 years old playing spotty defense. I bet you the majority of the guys in AAA think they are ready to come up and play at the MLB level. He's not on the 40 man and they are preserving his rookie eligibility, like it or not. If Coby isn't a big enough boy to realize that this is a business then he's probably not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Upvote 3

The notion that this is somehow morally wrong is such a misguided take. And to act like Elias doesn't have a plan is ignorant.

Play better defense and he'd be up already. Just ignoring the landscape and realities of the big leagues roster because he's personally invested in the kid is a joke. 

Keep crying in your cheerios Roy. Good lord man. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

The notion that this is somehow morally wrong is such a misguided and childish take. And to act like Elias doesn't have a plan is ignorant.

Play better defense and he'd be up already. Just ignoring the landscape and realities of the big leagues roster because he's personally invested in the kid is a joke. 

Keep crying in your cheerios Roy. Good lord man. This is sad at this point.

Or if he was crushing the ball. He’s OPSing .699 last 2  weeks.  Last 5 weeks 3 HR 26%K rate .741 OPS.   

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

Just now, emmett16 said:

He’s not exactly setting the world on fire in the last month and isn’t doing himself any favors in the field.

Hes 22.

I can wait a couple weeks.

As a fan I’d be  pissed if we brought him up 2 weeks before we retained additional service time.

Take a deep breath.  This means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If he’s the type that holds resentment over this then I don’t want him anyway, good riddance.

Totally agree.

• Upvote 1

Westburg, Adley, Cowser... Every single one of these guys could have been called up earlier. It seemed like a huge outrage at the time, but as fans we get over it. Maybe the players are still holding grudges, I don't know. Fortunately they seem to understand they are professionals in a business that has rules that their union agreed to.

The player can always agree to a team friendly extension to avoid service time issues and get some guaranteed money. They choose not to because they want the big pay day. The team doesn't owe the players any more than the players owe the team. 

32 minutes ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

Since Coby is an Orioles employee, he needs to respect his employer and his employer's decisions. If he is going to be immature and be resentful then the Orioles need to trade him right away. Are we going to have to worry about Coby being a cancer in the clubhouse? I'm starting to wonder. Coby needs to work on his defense plain and simple. The Orioles are a team that values good defense.

29 minutes ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

Coby sounds like he could become a real cancer in the clubhouse. The Orioles don't need that. I wish we would have traded Coby instead of Norby.

Where in the world are you getting Coby Mayo could become a clubhouse “cancer” from Roy’s post? This is one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen on this site.

Naturally anyone in Mayo’s shoes would be frustrated. That doesn’t mean when he eventually gets called up he’s gonna be a horrible teammate and cause issues in the clubhouse. IF he was to have issues with the team it would be with the front office not with his actual new teammates. 

Making up such assumptions is dangerous and is absolutely unnecessary especially the way people run with any so called rumor or made up trivial nonsense on social media these days.

• Thanks 1

If Coby turns into a superstar the one more year of team control could be massive.  It could make his trade value higher.  We are close to bringing him up and I can see the temptation to tread water till the date passes where we keep him another year.  It is so close now.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Agreed. I’m sick of the way Elias handles prospect call ups. And you’re absolutely right that every player sees what’s happening and loses respect for the organization. Hard to get guys to agree to extensions when this is how you start out.