I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

Seemed impossible than this team could somehow get younger, but with Jackson and Coby now, we somehow are. Our infield tonight will be 22-22-20 from third to second. That has to be the youngest starting IF in baseball. 

32 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Maybe you’re right, I don’t think so on that particular play right at him. I have nothing to point to except what my observations have been. 

Here’s a gritty, grinder type.  Brock Holt.  He gets his body out of the way and still gets hurt.

11 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Is anyone else concerned this move may be due to Holliday getting hit in the hand last night? I really hope not, I haven't seen any reports that suggest it.  Timing just seems weird. 

I wasn’t watching but based on the box score it looks like he played the final inning in the field after being hit, so this seems doubtful. 

8 hours ago, now said:

Finally... the last of the Norfolk Murderer's Row gets the call.

Now we get a breather before Basallo, Bradfield, et al. start to build up their AAA cred.

image.png.c57a026997eab73e59fe3dce07634fae.png

image.thumb.jpeg.573c0f79faa7d0a021771985800f55d3.jpeg

What an incredible track record of drafting and development! 

26 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I don't get why Urias has so many haters on here. 

Urias is fine, and is a nice backup to have. Dude wakes up every day wondering if he's in the lineup 162 games of the year, and performs at an adequate level. Above adequate at times. Not an easy gig.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Not yet, but if I get my way, keep Soto and DFA Urias. That olay play he had last night with two outs was awful. The ball was hit right to him and he moved out of the way. It was a hard hit ball, but you have to stay in front of that, play it off your chest if you have to. Terrible play. GG a few years ago, but that play cost us the first three run HR. He was very nonchalant on another play and barely made the throw at 2B to get an out. Urias is not an everyday 3B on a good team.

Mayo can play everyday at 3B, and I am sure he’ll work hard to improve defensively. And we all know he will take. After the game last night. I was thinking they would bring up Mayo for Urias. It’s time. 

Tom Hamilton was quite critical of that play. He usually calls games pretty straight...not just a Cleveland homer type, but he was surprised at how Urias basically gave that double away. I'm not implying that I would DFA him, just pointing out that the Cleveland guy was surprised by Urias there.

I still think that Mayo goes back down in order to keep rookie status for 2025.

Edited by maybenxtyr
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Is anyone else concerned this move may be due to Holliday getting hit in the hand last night? I really hope not, I haven't seen any reports that suggest it.  Timing just seems weird. 

Guess you never know if something swelled up or something after the game but he certainly didn’t act like it was any kind of a big deal when it happened.

If no injury, my guess is Soto goes right back down. There must have been something timing-wise that Elias felt necessitated a temporary Soto fill-in. We've seen him do this with 3rd catchers and whatnot. Or maybe they wanted to get Mayo one more day at 3B. Or maybe they're trolling Roy. 

25 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Tom Hamilton was quite critical of that play. He usually calls games pretty straight...jot just a Cleveland homer type, but he was surprised at how Urias basically Gabe that double away. I'm not implying that I would DFA him, just pointing out that the Cleveland guy was surprised by Urias there.

I still think that Mayo goes back down in order to keep rookie status for 2025.

I would agree that he probably goes back down when Westburg comes back, which is probably about that 45 day time frame.  Unless he’s mashing, of course.  

10 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

What does that matter?  Is anyone he replaces going to be better?

I would rather have him go 1-20 and learn at the MLB level so he can get experience and help in 30 days and for YEARS ahead rather than have a scrub who we just traded for, like a Jiminez or a Soto, do the the same 1 for 20 and who will be lucky to make it on this team past the end of the year.

Seriously?  You have a lot of bad takes but this may be your worst ever.  It really is time for you Elias apologists to stop.

Just stop. 

That is not what you were saying for Holliday. Do you hold the 20-year old to a higher standard?

9 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I would agree that he probably goes back down when Westburg comes back, which is probably about that 45 day time frame.  Unless he’s mashing, of course.  

I couldn't disagree more. 

This has not been the treatment of the Gunnars, the Adleys, even Westburg.  I think Mayo will be up to stay, unless of course, he struggles significantly over e meaningful period of time. 

Edited by ChuckS

9 hours ago, Malike said:

I hope he gets to play too. I also hope the people here are kinder to him than they were Jackson Holliday if he starts out rough.

I hope so too.

Sometimes it’s been to remember how hard the jump is on these young players coming from AAA to the show. And looking around the game to see how the majority of even the best prospects do in their first 100-150 plate appearances as a comparison.

Maybe that will help manage the outsized expectations from some bit?