Is Brandon Hyde the Orioles version of Mark Jackson with the Golden State Warriors

Deadwood Fan

Brandon Hyde's Future   

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Orioles make a managerial change after this season if they dont make the playoffs or have a quick exit in the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/04/24 at 06:37

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do think they should consider someone that goes by Buck as their next manger.

The brother of the closer who the other Buck didn't put in the WC game... ties in nicely.

Hmm... come to think of it that you wrote manger by accident..... What's famous with that?  Ah yeah, Jesus in the manger.  And Buck coached the Switch Hitting Jesus....

Okay okay... I'll stop now. :D

Edited by O's84

Thought Hyde coached a good game even though I believe the lineup card is discussed with analytics. One thing that doesn’t make sense is he doesn’t stand up for his team in terms of the strike zone. Last night was the third consecutive game Cleveland had a better zone than us. After Perez throws 3 strikes to Kwan in 4 pitches and the count being 3-1 he should have gone out. 

13 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Managers can make a difference....look at the Guardians first year manager Vogt.

He has taken a team that was sub .500 last year and as a first year coach has them playing with the best record in baseball.  Fundamentally sound baseball.  Night and day compared to how the Os are playing.

I go back to Buck or Davey Johnson or all the way back to Earl.    Managers make a difference. 

Hyde is not it. 

In November of 1983 were you saying Joe Altobelli was a better manager than Earl Weaver?   Weaver hadn’t won a WS since 1970 and didn’t make the playoffs in 80-82 and Altobelli wins EVERYTHING in his first year.   Now that’s managing!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Thought Hyde coached a good game even though I believe the lineup card is discussed with analytics. One thing that doesn’t make sense is he doesn’t stand up for his team in terms of the strike zone. Last night was the third consecutive game Cleveland had a better zone than us. After Perez throws 3 strikes to Kwan in 4 pitches and the count being 3-1 he should have gone out. 

Gone out and got tossed?   Do you think ML umps get intimidated by managers and and start giving close calls to that team?

14 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Managers can make a difference....look at the Guardians first year manager Vogt.

He has taken a team that was sub .500 last year and as a first year coach has them playing with the best record in baseball.  Fundamentally sound baseball.  Night and day compared to how the Os are playing.

I go back to Buck or Davey Johnson or all the way back to Earl.    Managers make a difference. 

Hyde is not it. 

Managers make a difference off the field. On the field, there is very little difference.

If you don’t think Hyde has made an off the field difference, you are a fool.

• Upvote 1

Some of the takes on Hyde are just absolutely moronic IMO. The Orioles are still bottom third in payroll and started last season next-to-last. The Orioles routinely field at team with four or even five players in the lineup in their first or second year in the ML. Their bullpen is mainly a collection of "Who?" players. The O's mix-and-match against opponents like crazy. The number of moving parts on the roster is pretty wild. Hyde has held a team together who blows a lot of leads, has had to come from behind so many times the past two years, etc. Hyde has objectively done a great job with a bunch of youngsters, a lot of "Who?" players, and a bunch of role-playing vets.  The number of correct calls Hyde makes is pretty amazing IMO. 

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Gone out and got tossed?   Do you think ML umps get intimidated by managers and and start giving close calls to that team?

When your team's star players (Henderson & Rutschman) continuously have egregious strikes called on them- someone needs to stand up for them.  Does it change the result? No. But at least umpires know that the O's are going to just lay down and take it. 

Furthermore- it's the principle. Hyde needs to show a pulse. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

When your team's star players (Henderson & Rutschman) continuously have egregious strikes called on them- someone needs to stand up for them.  Does it change the result? No. But at least umpires know that the O's are going to just lay down and take it. 

You think the umps care if they "lay down and take it" or if they run out on the field and get themselves ejected?

You think a pitch gets thrown and the ump goes, "I'd call that a strike but I'll get yelled at, better call it a ball."?

5 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

It could change the result of future games if your manager habitually shows up the umpires. I am fine with Hyde getting thrown out once in a while but I would take Hyde over Boone all day, any day 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think the umps care if they "lay down and take it" or if they run out on the field and get themselves ejected?

You think a pitch gets thrown and the ump goes, "I'd call that a strike but I'll get yelled at, better call it a ball."?

Much more likely the opposite.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

It could change the result of future games if your manager habitually shows up the umpires. I am fine with Hyde getting thrown out once in a while but I would take Hyde over Boone all day, any day 

So what's the solution? Just sit and dugout and say "oh well. it is what it is" ???

15 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

This