Soto up, Mayo down

deward

7 minutes ago, Otter said:

Agreed.  From what I've seen I'm comfortable with Kjerstad in RF...I don't think he'd ever sniff a GG but I bet he can be solid there.  And once Westburg comes back, I don't see Mayo ever playing 3B for the O's again.

Hey, I am very excited about Mayo’s future with the O’s. I think his RH power bat can be a huge weapon for us. But he will never beat out Westburg for the third base job. Westburg is a really solid player defensively and offensively. Coby needs to go back down and play some first base and some OF. That along with DH is where his future is with the orioles

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think Coby Mayo winds up at first base.Maybe they work more with him at that position when he plays again in Norfolk. Its kind of disappointing, especially because he had just moved out of his Norfolk apartment this week because he didn't want to pay rent when he wasnt using the Norfolk apartment.I guess he'll see off theres still a vacancy and move back in. Its a weird life to be a pro baseball player.

The way he looked at the plate, he should have signed a 6 month extension on his lease. 
He will be fine long term and I’m sure he will be a great batter for the Os but he got humbled a bit and now knows what he needs to improve on. I’d imagine he will be back up to close out the season and this similar process has worked for others like Holliday and Cowser. 

5 hours ago, sevastras said:

The way he looked at the plate, he should have signed a 6 month extension on his lease. 
He will be fine long term and I’m sure he will be a great batter for the Os but he got humbled a bit and now knows what he needs to improve on. I’d imagine he will be back up to close out the season and this similar process has worked for others like Holliday and Cowser. 

I see nothing from Mayo's pre call up behavior to suggest that he has been humbled.

On 8/15/2024 at 3:41 PM, Matt Bennett said:

Yeah! Eloy is not the same player that was a rookie of the year contender with the Whitesox a handful of years ago. Which is why Chicago paid us to take him off their hands at age 27. He hasn't taken care of his body, runs like a 50 year gym teacher, has no position, and his power is zapped. 

He's hit some ground-balls into lucky spots since his arrival. Management would do well to limit his appearances against RHP, as they're doing tonight. But I think he's useful to have around as a pinch hitter and DH vs. LHP. He's Delmon Young reincarnated. 

Like again.  He hit .414....he was clearly the right player to be playing.  That may not be the case going forward, but empirically it was working. 

On 8/16/2024 at 4:53 PM, 1fingerwillie said:

Will be interesting...We basically have two spots for Mayo/Westy/Kjerstad. 

How so? Westburg is your 3B. At this point your 1B/DH will be Kjerstad and Mayo. Neither Mountcastle nor O’Hearn are here long term.

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

Anyone know why Mayo hasn’t played with Norfolk since he was sent down?  

I was wondering the same thing. I would certainly think that they didn't send him down to sit on the Norfolk bench.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I would certainly think that they didn't send him down to sit on the Norfolk bench.

I was also wondering about this. I checked box scores earlier today and was surprised he hasn't played since the demotion. I think technically he has three days to report, or at least that was the old rule, but seems unusual to actually miss three games like this. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The Tides were in Gwinnett finishing off a series with the Braves, and are now headed home for the next week. 

I’m guessing they may have just decided to give the kid the weekend off to recharge the mental, emotional, and physical batteries. It was a trying couple weeks for him, and it would be natural to be a little exhausted by all of it. He can jump back in the fray on Tuesday at home against Worcester. 

Good observation 

30 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The Tides were in Gwinnett finishing off a series with the Braves, and are now headed home for the next week. 

I’m guessing they may have just decided to give the kid the weekend off to recharge the mental, emotional, and physical batteries. It was a trying couple weeks for him, and it would be natural to be a little exhausted by all of it. He can jump back in the fray on Tuesday at home against Worcester. 

Also perhaps find interim housing.    I think on the 1983 champs celebration program airing intermittently on MASN Mike Boddicker told an anecdote it was only towards the end of the regular season Hank Peters told him he could let go of his Rochester apartment.

I'd go AirBNB day to day if I was him - Tides just have a few home weeks left and I think he'll be back with the Orioles in September and on Opening Day 2025.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

Looks like you were right. Roch posted this in his blog this morning:

"Mayo is reporting to Triple-A Norfolk on Tuesday. The Tides are off today. "

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2024 at 12:46 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

Like again.  He hit .414....he was clearly the right player to be playing.  That may not be the case going forward, but empirically it was working. 

Smart baseball decisions aren’t made by taking small sample sizes from past performance and extrapolating that out to future performance.

Let me try: Eloy is hitting .167 in his last 18 at-bats. He should never get another at-bat this year! That’s silly. 

That’s how you end up trading for Gerrardo Parra in 2015 cause he’s hitting .328. 

On 8/18/2024 at 12:50 AM, Roll Tide said:

How so? Westburg is your 3B. At this point your 1B/DH will be Kjerstad and Mayo. Neither Mountcastle nor O’Hearn are here long term.

We have one roster spot coming available in September. We also have on obvious player to send to the minors in Soto. Mountie and O'Hearn are here through the season. Thus we have 2 spots for 3 players that most expect to be on the roster in September.