Nestor German 2024

Frobby

Nestor German, age 22, was recently promoted to Aberdeen.  Among O’s org pitchers who’ve thrown at least 50 innings, he leads the org in ERA (1.52) and WHIP (0.919), is second in BB rate (2.5), and is 3rd in K/BB at 4.20.

An 11th rounder in the 2023 draft, German lost 4-5 weeks to an injury from mid-May to mid-June, but pitched consistently well both before and after his injury.  I don’t see much on German’s stuff in this forum.  Tony has described him as having “a reliever vibe”.  I’m hoping to hear a little more about him.  His draft thread is here and provides a little information.

German’s next outing should be today or tomorrow.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Nestor German, age 22, was recently promoted to Aberdeen.  Among O’s org pitchers who’ve thrown at least 50 innings, he leads the org in ERA (1.52) and WHIP (0.919), is second in BB rate (2.5), and is 3rd in K/BB at 4.20.

An 11th rounder in the 2023 draft, German lost 4-5 weeks to an injury from mid-May to mid-June, but pitched consistently well both before and after his injury.  I don’t see much on German’s stuff in this forum.  Tony has described him as having “a reliever vibe”.  I’m hoping to hear a little more about him.  His draft thread is here and provides a little information.

With the way the bullpen has been pitching lately, reliever vibe isn't a bad thing.

On 8/15/2024 at 3:40 PM, Frobby said:

Last night German showed me a useable changeup which is something I hadn't seen before. He still doesn't have very good command of the pitch, but the 3rd pitch gives a better chance of sticking as a starter.

What he does have command of is a solid fastball-curveball (they may classify it as a sweeper) mix and he gets a lot of swing and miss on both, but especially the breaking ball. He's got a very smooth delivery and gets a lot of weak contact.

But at almost 23-years old, the Orioles are babying him still on pitch counts (seems to be around 60-65) and I'm not sure why. 

If he keeps throwing the ball the way he is right now, he won't be High-A long. I still need to see him at higher pitch counts to see how it holds up, but he's built like a starter and his smooth mechanics certainly suggests he should hold up well.

I like him, and he'll certainly keep climbing that prospect power rankings. He looks like a very good draft selection in the 11th round. 

• Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But at almost 23-years old, the Orioles are babying him still on pitch counts (seems to be around 60-65) and I'm not sure why.

Great question.  In general, it seems they baby their MiL pitchers quite a lot.  

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

It's kind of weird that he ends up completely turning around and facing 2nd base after each pitch....

The video only shows him K'ing batters so perhaps he only does it then and not after every single pitch.

On 8/16/2024 at 5:13 PM, Frobby said:

Great question.  In general, it seems they baby their MiL pitchers quite a lot.  

For years, it's been thrown around on here about the idea of essentially developing a bunch of 3 IP pitchers.  We're sort of doing that.  I don't think we'll see that at the MLB level, but you never know.  It seems the org is using the short outings to develop secondary pitches, while trying to keep arms healthy.  Development versus Injury Risk?  

Had the injury bug not hit us so hard at the MLB level this year, would we view what the org is doing pitching wise differently?  I mean, who could really predict that we'd have 9 of our top 15 MLB level arms on the IL at one time?  Tampa Bay is forced to do a little mini rebuild for less injuries than that.  

• 3 weeks later...

Nestor German finished his season in fine style, tossing four shutout innings on 4 hits, 0 walks, 6 strikeouts.  His final numbers: 73.2 IP, 1.59 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 11.0 K/9, 5.3 K/BB.  At Aberdeen, 1.78 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, 11.7 K/9, 11.0 K/BB.   Terrific season that was interrupted for a month with an injury but he came back just as strong if not stronger.  

• Upvote 1