Just how bad is the Orioles bullpen this year?

Uli2001

Cano is the top reliever in this bullpen, and yet he wouldn't be a back-end reliever on most contenders. This is how bad this BP is.

To back this up, I looked up the Cleveland bullpen for comparison.

Cano's 2024 WHIP = 1.34

Cleveland Bullpen:

Clase = 0.66

Gaddis = 0.74

Smith = 0.92

Herrin = 0.98

Morgan = 0.98

Sandlin = 1.13

Avila = 1.26

Barlow = 1.41

Cano's WHIP is worse than every Cleveland reliever but one.

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/CLE/cleveland-guardians/stats/regular/

Using Cleveland's historically outstanding bullpen as a comparison is poor form.

If I compare Santander to Aaron Judge he looks terrible, too. 

Our bullpen is middle of the pack right now. Hopefully we get Coulombe/Webb back and one of Soto/Kimbrel can find it again.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Using Cleveland's historically outstanding bullpen as a comparison is poor form.

Our bullpen is middle of the pack right now. Hopefully we get Coulombe/Webb back and one of Soto/Kimbrel can find it again.

This. Add in that it seems like Dominguez is the best arm in the pen right now, and by O’s WHIP he compares favorably to Cleveland. Then add in the two injuries and that’s 3 guys that would easily fit into that CLE pen.

1 minute ago, luismatos4prez said:

Yeah, this mainly just shows how elite Cleveland's pen is. 

Their team bullpen WHIP is 1.06, the next best is 1.18. That 0.12 gap is equal to the gap between second and 20th best. (The O's are 8th best at 1.21). 

• Upvote 2

First of all, I think we all understand that the O’s have a pretty bad bullpen, especially at the moment with Coulombe and Webb out.   It’s stretched really thin.  

However, I think your argument is not a good one.  You don’t prove “just how bad” our bullpen is by comparing one pitcher to the BEST BULLPEN IN THE MAJORS BY FAR.   Truth is, if WHIP is what you want to use, Cleveland’s bullpen easily has the best WHIP in MLB,  at 1.059, which is 0.119 better than any other team.  And by this measure, the O’s bullpen isn’t bad at all, at 1.207, 8th in MLB.   So how does the WHIP of one pitcher show how bad our bullpen is?

• Upvote 3

The Guardians bullpen is one of best bullpens not just this year but in history.  They also have been extremely healthy even with all the use.   One of the biggest complaints people have is Hyde goes to bullpen guys too much and wears them out.  There have been 18 guys who have pitched in 55 games or more so far this season and the Guardians have 6 of the 18.  The Orioles have 1.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

The 2012 Orioles bullpen still holds the record for WPA from a bullpen. Cleveland might catch them with a strong last 6 weeks.

I loved that 2012 team more than any other in the last 40 years. I hope Cleveland falls short.

Ran out of rep but agreed. That 2012 team was so much fun. And I think I’m partial to having a really strong bullpen because of that team.

The 2012 bullpen was loaded. Jim Johnson, Zach Britton, Darren O'Day, Pedro Strop, Koji, when they were pitching well, it was a lights out pen. In fairness, the current pen has been wracked with injuries, going in they lost their closer Bautista, then they lost Webb, Coulombe, and  Tate...Im not saying they would've been great if healthy, but they would have been a lot better.

33 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

The 2012 Orioles bullpen still holds the record for WPA from a bullpen. Cleveland might catch them with a strong last 6 weeks.

I loved that 2012 team more than any other in the last 40 years. I hope Cleveland falls short.

That was such a fun team, even better than last years group as far as come from behind, late and extra innings wins. 

21 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Bullpen has stunk for multiple years. Elias has done a horrible job building it. And if we make the playoffs we will be completely exposed.

Would you say last year’s bullpen stunk? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, survivedc said:

That was such a fun team, even better than last years group as far as come from behind, late and extra innings wins. 

Wasn’t it like 16 extra innings wins in a row? That team was awesome because of how bad the previous 15 years was. I wasn’t even that sad when lost to the Yankees 

29 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

The 2012 bullpen was loaded. Jim Johnson, Zach Britton, Darren O'Day, Pedro Strop, Koji, when they were pitching well, it was a lights out pen.

Koji was traded in 2011.